LaunchBox Community Forums

Mesen Retroarch Core & HDNES Packs

Lordmonkus

3 hours ago, Monyet said:

After posting that above and investigating it more with a person that works on the core it looks like there was a regression introduced recently so I guess my problem was different to yours since yours happened last year. Did you figure it out in the end?

No, unfortunately. I still do not why it's not working. I did make sure to update the core before trying again, as well.

2 hours ago, FormulaFox said:

No, unfortunately. I still do not why it's not working. I did make sure to update the core before trying again, as well.

Hmm... SHA-1 hash is the same in the hires file? Did you extract the pack to a directory with the same name? Because in RA it won't work with a zipped pack. Also, even after I got it right and opened it, it still didn't work, and then the next time I opened it it worked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:01 AM, Monyet said:

Hmm... SHA-1 hash is the same in the hires file? Did you extract the pack to a directory with the same name? Because in RA it won't work with a zipped pack. Also, even after I got it right and opened it, it still didn't work, and then the next time I opened it it worked.

My apologies for not responding in so long - we had a health crisis for a family member(not COVID) that is only now resolving itself, and I have had no time to doublecheck things. I'll be back to handle this whenever I have time.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 11:21 AM, FormulaFox said:

My apologies for not responding in so long - we had a health crisis for a family member(not COVID) that is only now resolving itself, and I have had no time to doublecheck things. I'll be back to handle this whenever I have time.

All good, same here. They fixed the regression which caused the problem I had. Hopefully you're able to get it working.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, cleverest said:

I can't get the Retroarch core of Mesen to work with HDpacks (yes it's enabled), but I can the stand-alone...I'm not sure why? Anyone else have the same issue and resolve it?

Have you followed the instructions on the libretro Mesen core page? Making sure to pay special attention as to where to put the HD packs, what to name the main folder (HdPacks), and what to name the folders where the actual packs are located.  I assume you have the folder names correct for the actual packs, as you mentioned you have them working on the stand alone version of Mesen.  I'm not sure if it's case sensitive or not but make sure you have the folder in your System folder labelled "HdPacks" and not "HDPacks" or anything else... they have it in quotes on the instructions page with that case, so perhaps the core is case sensitive for that.... just a thought anyway :)

https://docs.libretro.com/library/mesen/

Edited by CDBlue

On 8/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, CDBlue said:

Have you followed the instructions on the libretro Mesen core page? Making sure to pay special attention as to where to put the HD packs, what to name the main folder (HdPacks), and what to name the folders where the actual packs are located.  I assume you have the folder names correct for the actual packs, as you mentioned you have them working on the stand alone version of Mesen.  I'm not sure if it's case sensitive or not but make sure you have the folder in your System folder labelled "HdPacks" and not "HDPacks" or anything else... they have it in quotes on the instructions page with that case, so perhaps the core is case sensitive for that.... just a thought anyway :)

https://docs.libretro.com/library/mesen/

Thanks for taking the time, but yes...it all matches....I just gave up and I'm using the stand-alone for those games...it's fine. ?

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!
Anyone had any ideia why this isn't work with me?
I do exactly what was oriented, but when I activate tne HD Packs option on core options, nothing's happening.
same names of .nes, .zip, on roms folder, HdPacks folder created with correct named folder inside... and, nothing!

• 4 months later...

I don't really use HDPacks anymore as I find now days I prefer to play the game as intended.  However, that being said since a few people have been having issues, I figured I try it again on my system to see, and they're working fine for me still.  All I can suggest is make sure you have the latest retroarch installed, along with the latest Mesen core.  In your retroarch/system folder make sure you have a folder called "HdPacks".  In that folder have folders with the same name as the filename of the game you're looking to enable the HD Pack for.  For example, if the rom is called "Super Mario Bros. (World).nes" you need to have a folder in the HdPacks folder called "Super Mario Bros. (World)" then in that folder have all the assets related to the HD Pack.  Finally, in retroarch when you launch the core/game go into the quick menu for the Mesen core and make sure HD Packs is enabled (or on... can't recall how it's labeled) and not off/disabled.  You might then need to restart retroarch/re-launch the game/core for the now enabled HD Packs to take effect.  Note, you only need to do this once and the core option should save when you exit retroarch and then all future games you open will look in the HdPacks forlder for a matching folder to your rom, and use those assets as applicable.

I just tested several packs and they all seemed to work ok for me in Retroarch.  If it's not working for you, all I can think is that maybe something I listed above is not correct (ie. not the latest core, HdPacks folder not in the correct place, folder name not matching rom name, or HD Packs not enabled in the core options).

If all else fails, you can always download the stand alone version of Mesen2 (https://github.com/SourMesen/Mesen2) which is the latest version of Mesen still being developed by the original author (Sour).  I haven't tested the HD Packs lately in Mesen2, but the last time I checked they seemed to be working ok for the most part (Zelda's wasn't working though for some reason, so not sure if that's still the case or not).  But, it's another way to go, and I expect if some packs are not working yet in Mesen2, they likely will be in the future.

Cheers,
CDBlue

Edited by CDBlue

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to throw my $0.02 into this thread, as it's a topic I'm interested in.

Currently as I write this, the latest Mesen core available for RetroArch is version 0.9.9. The latest stand-alone Mesen is 2.0.0. The developer basically forked off to a new major source tree called Messen2 with this project, but has not (as of now) created a mesen2 RetroArch core.

Mesen 0.9.9 does support HD Packs, but doesn't have ALL the features that Mesen2 HD Packs allow for, which is why we have some users reporting "doesn't work" while others do.

In my testing, results vary from HD pack to HD pack, because some of them just don't do as much. For example "Duck Hunt HD" actually does work on RetroArch Mesen core, because it's a really simple pack.

On the other hand, MetroidHD is amazing and includes both starting from a modified ROM and then auto-patching it with an IPS file for even more customization, AND it uses basically all the features Mesen supports. It DOES NOT work on Retroarch, only Mesen2 natively. I still need to test through various games and stuff, but I believe the main delineator here is simply the Mesen version bump and resulting additional features.

For maximum convienience, I believe if you wish to dabble in HD packs, for now, just stick to native builds of Mesen2. It's available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Mac & Linux use SDL2 rather than .NET6