LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

11 hours ago, Typhon said:

I hate to ask this, as I suspect it would not be as easy to implement, but I would like it very much if the 'alternate names' get imported to the Data\Platforms XML files, and stay there, for the sake of Retro Achievements games, instead of depending on the Metadata.xml file. It could be one field containing all of the names, separated by a semi colon, the way genres already are.

I do not like the idea of Retro Achievements functionality being dependent on data that can and will change, due to community ignorance. This is a solution that would still encourage users to keep the alternate names accurate (for RA functinality), but at the same time, allow their own personal setups to be safeguarded once the data is imported (and possibly edited by the user) correctly one time.

Here is a screenshot of what I have in mind. If you went this route, you could also include a 'scrape as' field for the 'Alternate Names' tab, which would solve the problem of Retro Achievements classifying a game under the wrong platform (e.g. Game Boy instead of Game Boy Color).

Example 1
5a7ef6bb1524e_2018-02-10(2).thumb.png.bf993183cb9959d8ff6eb904f3dcc17a.png

Example 2

5a7f05ba319ef_2018-02-10(2).thumb.png.69b6abfd5d1aa58fef1023f5161a6118.png

I'm now a little paranoid about updating Launchbox, knowing how it all works.

Oh that's interesting, it is necessary to find a solution for this o.O, are you using the database plugin?

5 hours ago, dillabon said:

Hey @Jason Carr Is it possible to play videos of games inside playlists included in the platform list?

I noticed that if you don't have a platform video, then BB plays the gameplay videos you have from within that system.  It would be nice to have it automatically do that for playlists that don't have a proper "platform" video yet.

5 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I noticed that if you don't have a platform video, then BB plays the gameplay videos you have from within that system.  It would be nice to have it automatically do that for playlists that don't have a proper "platform" video yet.

Yeah, I don't like platform videos honestly. I'd rather have a random game video from the list being played. Many of my guests prefer that.

On 2/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, alnyden said:

I have Aeon Nox set to a specific playlist.  When I select that playlist, I hear the select sound play before the software freezes up for aprox. 30 seconds before the playlist appears.  Afterwards, everything works as normal.

Hmm, this could be specific to playlists or that particular playlist. Can you PM me a zip of your data folder?

@Typhon @Drodrick We can look into better ways to deal with the alternate names situation, yes. It looks like we are, of course, going to need a better solution. My current focus is getting the 8.0 official release out but hopefully I can dive deeper into that soon.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:26 AM, NJDave71 said:

Interesting.....  I have also notice freeze ups on AMD CPUs. 

Where are you seeing the temporary freeze-ups Dave? I very much doubt it has anything to do with AMD CPUs; more likely it's a configuration thing or a delay with a particular process. @alnyden's description above being related to a particular playlist makes sense, so I'm guessing it's playlist-related.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Where are you seeing the temporary freeze-ups Dave? I very much doubt it has anything to do with AMD CPUs; more likely it's a configuration thing or a delay with a particular process. @alnyden's description above being related to a particular playlist makes sense, so I'm guessing it's playlist-related.

@Jason Carr It was a Video Driver Issue.  I updated to the latest version and it resolved the issues.  :-)

• Like 1

Alright folks, beta 9 is out with the following:

• Retroarch Netplay is now available in Big Box as well via the game details menu
  • Alpha-numeric navigation in LaunchBox is now working for the list view as well
  • Fixed: The game details sidebar in LaunchBox was not remembering its sizing when closed and restarting LaunchBox

I'm hoping to have the release out on Wednesday or Thursday. We'll be working on fixing any remaining bugs, but no new features until the official release.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

• Retroarch Netplay is now available in Big Box as well via the game details menu
  • Alpha-numeric navigation in LaunchBox is now working for the list view as well
  • Fixed: The game details sidebar in LaunchBox was not remembering its sizing when closed and restarting LaunchBox

I'm hoping to have the release out on Wednesday or Thursday. We'll be working on fixing any remaining bugs, but no new features until the official release.

Thanks a lot for those changes! , So i installed this beta no I cant open launchbox or bigbox, I reinstalled the previous beta and I can open it, but I not get install this beta  

Edited by Drodrick

56 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's so awesome now we can open net play in bigbox!! 

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I have experiencing a weird issue with my startup of LaunchBox and it has been happening on and off ever since you added the startup speed increases to LaunchBox a few betas ago. I have been holding off saying anything thinking it could be unrelated. My LaunchBox startup time and loading interface was usually around 3 seconds before you added the startup speed increase a few betas ago. It is usually about 3 seconds startup time after you added that increased startup speed but sometimes randomly it will take about 10 seconds for startup and the longest of that seems to be stuck on loading interface.

It seems to happen most often when I havent used LaunchBox for a while. I can launch LB and close it and relaunch back to back many times in a row and it will always startup in about 3 seconds but if I do not open LB for a while like overnight the first launch of LB will take about 10 seconds and then other times it will not do this. I was thinking at first it could be Windows Defender scanning folder at startup but I have added exclusions to LB and BB.

I know it seems like a weird issue but I did not have it until I downloaded that beta with the increased startup time and I remember when I downloaded that particular beta it took about 25 seconds to reload LaunchBox which is unusual for that one time only.

8 minutes ago, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr I have experiencing a weird issue with my startup of LaunchBox and it has been happening on and off ever since you added the startup speed increases to LaunchBox a few betas ago. I have been holding off saying anything thinking it could be unrelated. My LaunchBox startup time and loading interface was usually around 3 seconds before you added the startup speed increase a few betas ago. It is usually about 3 seconds startup time after you added that increased startup speed but sometimes randomly it will take about 10 seconds for startup and the longest of that seems to be stuck on loading interface.

It seems to happen most often when I havent used LaunchBox for a while. I can launch LB and close it and relaunch back to back many times in a row and it will always startup in about 3 seconds but if I do not open LB for a while like overnight the first launch of LB will take about 10 seconds. I was thinking at first it could be Windows Defender scanning folder at startup but I have added exclusions to LB and BB.

I know it seems like a weird issue but I did not have it until I downloaded that beta with the increased startup time and I remember when I downloaded that particular beta it took about 25 seconds to reload LaunchBox which is unusual for that one time only.

I think I've been getting this too. Not quite 10 seconds but while most start ups are faster than earlier versions it seems to randomly take a few seconds longer than older versions did. I just assumed it was some quirk with my system and since its not a huge issue, just let it be. However since someone else is also having the issue I thought it best I mention it. 

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

This doesn't seem to be fixed, after I tested the latest beta today. Is there a setting/option I'm missing somewhere?

5 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Seems to work for me here. Hopefully one of the mods will have an idea.

I found a way to 'quick-fix' the issue. When I restore LaunchBox as a window (not maximized) and change the size of the details sidebar, then it will save that same position again later, including when it's maximized. However, it won't save the position when you simply change the size while LaunchBox is maximized. 

8 hours ago, Drodrick said:

Thanks a lot for those changes! , So i installed this beta no I cant open launchbox or bigbox, I reinstalled the previous beta and I can open it, but I not get install this beta

I have the same problem with latest beta 8b9, get this error when trying to open either LB or BB:

lb-8b9-err.thumb.jpg.f91995024dd7d1cbf06162ca0c1a37ea.jpg