LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, eatkinola said:

I have the same problem with latest beta 8b9, get this error when trying to open either LB or BB:

lb-8b9-err.thumb.jpg.f91995024dd7d1cbf06162ca0c1a37ea.jpg

Yes i do not what happened, so do not worry you can open your updates folder and install the 8 beta in the laucnhbox directory.

Edited by Drodrick

14 hours ago, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr I have experiencing a weird issue with my startup of LaunchBox and it has been happening on and off ever since you added the startup speed increases to LaunchBox a few betas ago. I have been holding off saying anything thinking it could be unrelated. My LaunchBox startup time and loading interface was usually around 3 seconds before you added the startup speed increase a few betas ago. It is usually about 3 seconds startup time after you added that increased startup speed but sometimes randomly it will take about 10 seconds for startup and the longest of that seems to be stuck on loading interface.

It seems to happen most often when I havent used LaunchBox for a while. I can launch LB and close it and relaunch back to back many times in a row and it will always startup in about 3 seconds but if I do not open LB for a while like overnight the first launch of LB will take about 10 seconds and then other times it will not do this. I was thinking at first it could be Windows Defender scanning folder at startup but I have added exclusions to LB and BB.

I know it seems like a weird issue but I did not have it until I downloaded that beta with the increased startup time and I remember when I downloaded that particular beta it took about 25 seconds to reload LaunchBox which is unusual for that one time only.

If I start LB or BB after booting up my PC it takes twice as long to start compared to if I have opened already, closed it, and opened it again.

2 minutes ago, Charco said:

If I start LB or BB after booting up my PC it takes twice as long to start compared to if I have opened already, closed it, and opened it again.

Yeah I am seeing the same thing on beta 9, it seems to hang on "Loading Interface" for around 10 seconds, even though the program is actually loaded at that point in the background, subsequent launches are just fine. I also see people complaining that beta 9 simply crashes when loading, I haven't seen that personally on my system, it loads up fine, but just with that delay if I haven't used it for a while, or if I have restarted my PC.

Definitely interesting...same with me,if I reboot my PC or haven't used LaunchBox for a while the first startup always takes longer and hangs on loading interface for about 10 seconds. I did not start having the issues until that beta that the startup speed increases were added a few betas ago. Sorry I did not bring it to your attention earlier @Jason Carr but I thought it was some weird issue I was having with my system but I guess that's not the case since other users are experiencing it as well. I have not experienced any crashes either that some users are getting.

Alright, beta 10 is out. First and foremost, some users are seeing crashes and can't start up LaunchBox or Big Box, so I'm hoping this fixes it.

If you're unable to update because of the crashes, you can download the latest beta here and manually install it over top:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77j7nrilus8y3dc/LaunchBox-8.0-beta-10-Setup.exe?dl=0

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr I have experiencing a weird issue with my startup of LaunchBox and it has been happening on and off ever since you added the startup speed increases to LaunchBox a few betas ago. I have been holding off saying anything thinking it could be unrelated. My LaunchBox startup time and loading interface was usually around 3 seconds before you added the startup speed increase a few betas ago. It is usually about 3 seconds startup time after you added that increased startup speed but sometimes randomly it will take about 10 seconds for startup and the longest of that seems to be stuck on loading interface.

It seems to happen most often when I havent used LaunchBox for a while. I can launch LB and close it and relaunch back to back many times in a row and it will always startup in about 3 seconds but if I do not open LB for a while like overnight the first launch of LB will take about 10 seconds and then other times it will not do this. I was thinking at first it could be Windows Defender scanning folder at startup but I have added exclusions to LB and BB.

I know it seems like a weird issue but I did not have it until I downloaded that beta with the increased startup time and I remember when I downloaded that particular beta it took about 25 seconds to reload LaunchBox which is unusual for that one time only.

The 25 seconds on first start is as expected, because it was extracting the Chrome files. This will happen on the first run only. I'm puzzled on the 10 second thing though; it may still be related to Chrome somehow. I'll do some testing and see what I can come up with.

14 hours ago, bundangdon said:

I found a way to 'quick-fix' the issue. When I restore LaunchBox as a window (not maximized) and change the size of the details sidebar, then it will save that same position again later, including when it's maximized. However, it won't save the position when you simply change the size while LaunchBox is maximized. 

Hmm, that's a clue I guess. However, in my testing it works fine even when maximized, so I'm puzzled here. It seems to be an odd one-off issue for only a handful of people. What we fixed is an issue with it not saving if you close the game details and restart LaunchBox.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Beta-10 fixed the LB/BB startup crashes for me, Jason. Thanks!

Woot. I've heard from a few people now that it's fixed. Whew.

9 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

Loading speed for BigBox has increased back to 8~9 seconds (may be beta9 or beta10) from 5 seconds (beta8 and below) on subsequent runs.

Everything installed on SSD (including videos and pretty much everything  BigBox loads)

We ran into a performance issue inside of Big Box specifically caused by a portion of the delay-loading that I had introduced to boost those startup times specifically for Big Box, so I did have to back off a bit on it. I'd rather Big Box startup times be greater than have any performance issues while running Big Box, especially with startup videos and such. So we're going to run with what we have for now.

Alright, beta 11 is out; I'm calling this a release candidate.

Per the "Loading Interface" taking a while, I took a look at the code and I'm guessing it was related to Chrome. I changed the process a bit to not load Chrome at all if the Welcome dialog isn't shown. Hopefully that will remove that issue, at least when the Welcome dialog isn't displayed. Let me know. :)

• Like 3