LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Great job @Jason Carr on the addition of the PDF Viewer. I have been using Rocketlauncher successfully for viewing my  pdf manuals in the Pause menu. All my pdf manuals are in folders named after the rom name. Would it be too difficult to add a feature of searching in folders named after the rom name? In this folder I also have walkthroughs for some games in pdf format as well. If not thats fine but it would be cool if I could view and navigate them in BigBox as well.

1 hour ago, Typhon said:

The PDF reader does not seem to support SymLinks, and that breaks functionality on my setup. I already have all of the manuals sorted in folders for RocketLauncher, and it is not practical to copy all of the files for disk space reasons.

I can confirm that copying the PDF to the appropriate folder works as expected, but I get this when I try to open a SymLinked PDF file:
5a542d14a1a3c_2018-01-08(6).thumb.png.f3e45d8de43cacdba6bc73c7a0b8cb77.png

Do you have any idea why my SymLinks are not working? They work fine when I have them open with a regular PDF reader.

Hard links work, but I'd prefer to not go to all that trouble.

Is it possible to disable the built in PDF reader, and have it work the way it did prior?

Awesome! The PDF viewer does make BigBox nicer to use now. Any way of knowing what else you are hoping to implement? I would really like some RetroArch netplay implementation more than anything. I really want to play with my friend, but he really doesn't like the way it's done now, because he can't use BigBox and select a game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ckp said:

I'm really hoping 1 or 2 of the items on Lordmonkus' "little things" list will be tackled for this release. I'm most interested in those things.

I'm still, really hoping for #1 and 2 on my (original) list :)

Posted July 2, 2017 (edited)

1. The option to allow the selected title in the basic vertical rom list (BigBox) stay centered (instead of scrolling all the way down or up)

2. The ability to use custom box images (in bulk) for various platforms/systems when there are no images available. (instead of using the generic 'rubik's cube' bigbox image that appears in its place). I've mentioned this idea a few times before and it got a lot of positive feedback from other users.

Edited by bundangdon
  • Like 1

There are 2 things I hope to see in the new version.

A bug fix:
All information in the following link. This bug is annoying as hell, especially in BigBox where the additional apps are more pronounced than in Launchbox.
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3457/when-merging-two-titles-which-both-have

And a new feature:
Being able to set a custom aspect ratio for BigBox. And I don't want it to stretch, it want it to add black bars. I would absolutely love being able to do that. You see, I have an ultrawide (21:9) monitor at my desktop and although Bigbox works fine, 99% of the media (themes, images, videos etc.) are created for 16:9 screens and thus looks super weird on my screen. I'd like to spice up my BigBox setup a bit, but at the moment I sadly can't :(
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3310/being-able-to-force-bigbox-in-a-certain

• Like 1

I agree with the idea that it would be nice for when a game is launched that the appropriate manual opens as well for that specific game. For instance game on one monitor and manual on a second monitor if you have one. Also an idea for further down the road for the PDF Viewer, if you have walkthroughs or strategy guides for games, then you can change an option to decide between the different options, what should be displayed for each game

• Like 1

I also have requested couple of list on Lordmonkus' "little things".

1. Windows shortcut files - Thank you so much for this feature. I'm 100% satisfied without any issues. So much convenient!

2. Image Download from Wikipedia ID- Some works but some are still not.

3. drag  & drop image straight from Web Browser - This is very useful feature for rare rom's images not in database. So after googling, we can drag&drop to image editor directly.

4. IMAGE EDIT*** - Personally, this is the high priority feature that should be implemented.
    a.  1 Click Left mouse - Highlight the current picture
    b.  DEL key - delete highlighted picture
    c.  Arrow key - (highlighted/selected picture) previous, next picture
    d. Double click - Popup Image Edit Window. Like wirtual82 mentioned, it would be nice to have simple crop/resize option.

5. PLATFORM CATEGORY- only 1 platform category is expanded after close and reopen LB. For example, even If I expand all platforms (Arcade, Computer, Consoles, Handhelds), when I restart the LB, it only remembers last selected platform and all the rest platforms are collapsed. LB should remember all expanded category.

6. Arrange by - LB should also remember each "arrange by" sorting per platform. For example, I would like to keep NES games sorted by FAVORITES. And Windows Games by RELEASE DATE.

7. OVERLAY ICONS - LB currently have 5 check box at edit window: Favorite, Completed, Broken, Portable, Hide

There should be overlay icons on top of grid pictures when box is checked. (Also in BigBox).

If I completed the game and checked "completed",  there should be an overlay icon or mark on the picture.

Edited by xmas

11 hours ago, Landcross said:

There are 2 things I hope to see in the new version.

A bug fix:
All information in the following link. This bug is annoying as hell, especially in BigBox where the additional apps are more pronounced than in Launchbox.
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3457/when-merging-two-titles-which-both-have

And a new feature:
Being able to set a custom aspect ratio for BigBox. And I don't want it to stretch, it want it to add black bars. I would absolutely love being able to do that. You see, I have an ultrawide (21:9) monitor at my desktop and although Bigbox works fine, 99% of the media (themes, images, videos etc.) are created for 16:9 screens and thus looks super weird on my screen. I'd like to spice up my BigBox setup a bit, but at the moment I sadly can't :(
https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/3310/being-able-to-force-bigbox-in-a-certain

Bigbox does this already. Each theme determines the set resolution in their themes configuration file.

Edited by Hexxxer
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

That is a thought I had as well. Could be complicated to implement switching between Big Box and the game while it's running (I'm cringing at the thought of it), but yes, that would certainly be nice.

Am interested in seeing if you can come up with something. Iv been trying something similar with windows games. But trying to force an application to open over the top of some games results in the game crashing. The only thing I have managed to come up with is putting the game in window mode. And adding a script to additional apps to maximise the game with no title bar, gives the appearance of full screen. Some games, as an example: assassins creed revelations, don't have windowed mode so cant do anything with it.

Maybe if you can magic us up something, you could explain how it works?

16 minutes ago, jayjay said:

Am interested in seeing if you can come up with something. Iv been trying something similar with windows games. But trying to force an application to open over the top of some games results in the game crashing. The only thing I have managed to come up with is putting the game in window mode. And adding a script to additional apps to maximise the game with no title bar, gives the appearance of full screen. Some games, as an example: assassins creed revelations, don't have windowed mode so cant do anything with it.

Maybe if you can magic us up something, you could explain how it works?

not all official pc games can be done like this. Thats why i proposed the 2nd monitor thing. And even if pc games could all do it, alot blocks internal resolution to no longer surpass your native screen rez once your method is done. if your monitor isnt 4k, then one would get alot of jaggies because 1080p doesnt rid jaggies of games w bigger textures. 4960x2304 is the max rez to completely obliterate jaggies. Alot of pc games also have an always on top attribute which would make it difficult to draw over top of the game. That is why i asked for it to b on the marquee screen if called for on the main screen.

Of course gedosato can put any game to borderless fullscreen while keeping a high int rez, but still not every game. on top of that, it gets broken and doesnt wrk at all sometimes when durante decides to update and it takes along time for him to fix it once it happens.

Edited by shinra358
  • Like 1