LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 1/8/2018 at 6:08 PM, Jason Carr said:

- Improvement: Added community star ratings support to the LaunchBox Plugin API.

Has anyone else noted a problem with community star ratings sometimes being super high, as in the following example:

comm-rating.jpg.13fd71647cef8f361a2e849d3b708478.jpg

I mean it's a good game and all, but 2994 out of 5?

Edited by eatkinola
clarification

53 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Has anyone else noted a problem with community star ratings sometimes being super high, as in the following example:

I mean it's a good game and all, but 2994 out of 5?

Well I feel silly now.  Updating the metadata via LB (Tools -> Download metadata and media ... Yes but do not replace any existing metadata) fixed this problem.

• Like 1

Transitions on Game Details isn't well coded.

When a game is selected from the wheel, OnSelectionChanged is called immediately (good), but it renders the GameDetailsView before the transition is made.

For example, I have a plugin that sets the gameId of the game it is selected on OnSelectionChanged. Before the GameDetailsView transitions into the next one, the old one gets updated with the elements based on the updated variable given onSelectionChanged, then the old one moves up (transition) and the new one gets "null" on the variable, for some reason.

EDIT:

To clarify, this only happens when you switch games during transitions.

1. Game1 has an image that displays when the plugin sets gameId of OnSelectionChanged and exposes it to the theme.

2. Select Game2 (doesnt have the image) below and while transitioning to Game2 info, select Game1 again then switch back to Game2 and then to Game1.

This will display that image on both infos (current info: game2 and then upcoming game1) when the last transition is about to be made, BUT it will remove it on Game1 info right before transitioning.

Edited by dillabon

Hey @Jason Carr. I may have come across a bug (in 7.16) when using a second monitor to display Marquees. @Retro808 helped me troubleshoot the issue in the HyperMarquee support thread, and was able to reproduce it on his system. I'll quote the relevant posts here:

6 hours ago, MeanGreene13 said:

Hey Guys, I have just setup my second monitor to display marquees (which is totally freaking awesome!), but I'm having a minor issue, which could be a software bug.

I have a Platform Category named "Arcade", and within that category I have a Platform also named "Arcade" - both of these names were auto-generated by Launchbox, of course, and I need to keep my platform category named Arcade to work correctly with RocketLauncher.

I have a different Clear Logo/Banner setup for the Platform Category and the Platform (though both images are named "Arcade"), but when i enter Big Box initially the marquee that is displayed for the Arcade Platform Category is getting pulled from the Arcade Platform images folder for some reason. If i change platform categories in Big Box and then go back to Arcade it usually sorts itself out, but it would be nice if that didn't happen all the time at startup, as i have the clear logos/banners for the platform categories made with the same style.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there any way I can force that marquee to what I want it to be, like set an absolute path to the image or something? Or could it be a bug in the software? Let me know if you need me to provide any more info/screenshots, etc..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the workaround I used to make things better until a software fix is made available, in case anyone else is having a similar issue. I now get a black Marquee screen when coming back from the System/Options view, but it fixes itself up as soon as i scroll to the next platform category, and no image is better than the wrong image.

3 hours ago, MeanGreene13 said:

Thanks for your help here, Retro808. I've tried all of the image cache options and rebooting, and I've just tried a few other themes, including the default theme, and I am still getting the issue. I think I'm going to bite the bullet for now and just rename my Arcade platform category to "Arcade Games". I am thinking this should work, and since I'm using images for the wheel instead of just text,  the image will say  "Arcade" anyways, hopefully using the correct images. I'll report back shortly ;)

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Glad you are sorted, but I think you did find a bug. I was actually able to replicate the issue you have. It was not showing up, but I deleted the platform category image and then ran BigBox, closed it out and then added the image back. Now I randomly get the platform marquee image instead of the one I want for the platform category. If I do your same steps it shows the correct image. 

Edited by MeanGreene13
removed repeated quote
  • Like 1

Beta 3 is out now guys with the following:

- New Feature: A new "Download Updated Community Star Ratings" option is available under the Tools menu in LaunchBox; this makes it much easier and faster to update star ratings, rather than having to run the Download Metadata and Media wizard.

- Improvement: The included version of ScummVM has been updated to the latest version! The ScummVM games list has also been updated.

- Improvement: The Big Box star rating popup has been changed to jump only to half-star and whole-star values; in addition, pressing the Back button/key will no longer save the changed star rating. Pressing the select/enter key/button will, of course, save the value.

- Fixed: Valve/Steam decided to kill our API Key for no apparent reason (or at least none that we received any communication about), which broke the Steam import wizard. This has been fixed with a new API key. Hopefully they don't kill this one...

In addition, I added an option to disable the built-in PDF reader under the Big Box General options. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Sweet! All good improvements there. I'm especially glad to see the fast star ratings updater - that's really nice. My ScummVM collection thanks you as well.

By the way, I found yet another glitch with the star ratings, so now would be a good time to update them (though you do need to make sure that LaunchBox downloads an updated metadata package from the games database).

Edit: If you don't want to wait until tomorrow and you've already downloaded an updated package today, one trick is to open up your Settings.xml file in a text editor and delete the <LastMetadataUpdate> line. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

By the way, I found yet another glitch with the star ratings, so now would be a good time to update them (though you do need to make sure that LaunchBox downloads an updated metadata package from the games database).

Edit: If you don't want to wait until tomorrow and you've already downloaded an updated package today, one trick is to open up your Settings.xml file in a text editor and delete the <LastMetadataUpdate> line. ;)

On the topic of betas, I'm not sure if this is just me but recently I've noticed that the details panel (on the right side) doesn't save its position when it closes. Whenever I return to open launchbox, the details panel returns to its default location and I have to reposition it again. As far as I remember, this position was saved from where the user (me) last left it, or was I just dreaming that? :P