LaunchBox Community Forums

How to make 3D PC/Windows DVD Game Cases - Tutorial

Robin55

I have made a quick tutorial on how to make 3D PC/Windows Game Cases (as requested) in Photoshop. I have been told the Action File also works in Elements. Any size cover can be used as long as they are full size covers (not Just the front of a cover). Please note that Because the action file is expecting to save to my directory on my PC changing the save location in both parts of the Action file may be necessary. The Action file is attached.

PC DVD BOXES.atn

Edited by Robin55
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Unusual Gem 1

56 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Very useful! Thank you for sharing this :) could this method also be used for making (audio) cd cases?

If you search online you should find a free action file somewhere that will let you make CD cases. If you get lucky it wont need much modification to get it exactly as you want. Or if you got cash you can just buy action files online there's loads of sites selling them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's Cover Action Pro. It can make cd cases but also bottles, books, blu-ray, magazines etc.

I'm using v2.5, 3.0 is also out but I don't need all the extras.

It's not 1 click though, you need some basic knowledge of Photoshop. But it's easy enough.

Consists of 2 actions.

1. Makes a template, you add your images here.
  2. 3D conversion.

Examples:

CD4_Render.png

CD2_Render.png

• 1 month later...

The reason for the small size is because I made 3000 boxes and the download would of been to large.

But yes you can adjust the size to its original output.

You simply go to the actions window in Photoshop click the arrow beside the "make box" action so you can see all the actions it preforms and you just untick the box next to "image Size" forth action from the bottom of the list. Now when you run the "Make box" action it will skip that action in the list and you will get the original size image output.

hope that helps

• Like 1

Thats perfect! I was looking at that line but it confused me because it didnt show lowered size ,just fit to : original size which was 3k. Anyway got it now!

As for cover action pro i checked some examples and 3d box cover is quite inferior to yours it lacks reality and gloss as well as not near realistic box edges. So thanks for script !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well, I'm sure there is a way but it would be beyond my meager Photoshop ability's I'm afraid. The only thing I could suggest would be to make the back cover and the front cover separately then create a completely new set of actions to combine the two.

well for the back part I would make the cover upside down and then put it through the actions to make the case and then in your new set you could just flip it around and add it to the back of the front part, just a suggestion. messy though