LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox for Linux - Preliminary Discussion

Lordmonkus

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

My only regret so far is that we didn't specifically ask that question on the poll.

Yeah, that probably would've been a good question to ask, but hindsight is 20/20. You could always throw it on a separate poll in the future to see if a majority of the interest is on desktop/laptop vs Pi and other SOCs.

23 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I've never voted on a poll, but I would if I knew all the core features of RL were going to Be on there. 

Why not just use Rocketlauncher? Seems like it would be redundant to implement features already available to everyone. Rocketlauncher integrates nicely with Launchbox plus there's a whole team and years of dedication and testing put into it already.

I would rather see development focus more on perfecting Bigbox and making it look even better or see work go into the Games DB and the artwork there (cleanup bxes, better scans, clear logos and so on)

1 minute ago, Styphelus said:

Why not just use Rocketlauncher? Seems like it would be redundant to implement features already available to everyone. Rocketlauncher integrates nicely with Launchbox plus there's a whole team and years of dedication and testing put into it already.

I would rather see development focus more on perfecting Bigbox and making it look even better or see work go into the Games DB and the artwork there (cleanup bxes, better scans, clear logos and so on)

Ok, we're not going to get into a RocketLauncher discussion here, but:

RocketLauncher is a convoluted mess and easily broken because of its "module" system. Some people are comfortable with using it because they were forced to learn how to use it with HyperSpin. The whole point of Launchbox is to never ever have to look at RocketLauncher because it's UI is an absolute abomination.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Styphelus said:

Well just less clutter really. There's only a handful of features holding me there. Integration would just mean more streamlined installation with less clutter around. All inclusive one stop shopping if you will.  the less I have to go back and forth all the time the better. Once I add a pc game in LB I then have to go over to RL and set it up. Would just be nicer to have it all here.  In my mind it's a natural evolution towards being the best front end, period.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Ok, we're not going to get into a RocketLauncher discussion here, but:

RocketLauncher is a convoluted mess and easily broken because of its "module" system. Some people are comfortable with using it because they were forced to learn how to use it with HyperSpin. The whole point of Launchbox is to never ever have to look at RocketLauncher because it's UI is an absolute abomination.

correct.

On the Rocket Launcher discussion, the dilemma we have is that implementing Rocket Launcher features is a royal pain in the rear and it would severely hurt development time elsewhere in order to implement them, largely because the requirements are always changing with new Windows and emulator versions, and the only ways to implement most of the features are hacks. Frankly, it's a miracle that Rocket Launcher works as well as it does. I'm not convinced that we would be able to implement the actual features any better than Rocket Launcher already does. That said, I understand how Rocket Launcher's management interface itself leaves a lot to be desired. I know this has come up before, but what if we tried to better integrate Rocket Launcher into LaunchBox? We could hopefully make it so that very little configuration would be required, and the configuration that is required could be done entirely in LaunchBox. Thoughts?

Of course this would require permission from the Rocket Launcher team in order to do so. I haven't really had an extensive conversation with them on that yet.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, drphobus said:

i dont think you have to do things the same way as rocket launcher

ie fade in and fade out  bezals

RL has files for every game 

LB could do a basic per platform system 

for most people thats enough 

Rocket Launcher takes a per-system/emulator approach for most features, which is what I was referring to with my above post. Not going game-specific does almost nothing to reduce the problems involved, sadly.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Rocket Launcher takes a per-system/emulator approach for most features, which is what I was referring to with my above post. Not going game-specific does almost nothing to reduce the problems involved, sadly.

Yep, as much as I would like these features, they are totally out of the question at the moment, and totally not in the scope of this thread.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

On the Rocket Launcher discussion, the dilemma we have is that implementing Rocket Launcher features is a royal pain in the rear and it would severely hurt development time elsewhere in order to implement them, largely because the requirements are always changing with new Windows and emulator versions, and the only ways to implement most of the features are hacks. Frankly, it's a miracle that Rocket Launcher works as well as it does. I'm not convinced that we would be able to implement the actual features any better than Rocket Launcher already does. That said, I understand how Rocket Launcher's management interface itself leaves a lot to be desired. I know this has come up before, but what if we tried to better integrate Rocket Launcher into LaunchBox? We could hopefully make it so that very little configuration would be required, and the configuration that is required could be done entirely in LaunchBox. Thoughts?

Of course this would require permission from the Rocket Launcher team in order to do so. I haven't really had an extensive conversation with them on that yet.

i am only looking for fade in plus archive unpacking within the system for the emulators who cannot work directly with the zips rars and so... are those two features really that challenging? maybe instead of just having "game load" screen we will have something customised picture with the Button configuration of that pad (all in that picture)