LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox

faeran

CoverBox - SNES has been updated to version 1.1

• Added the CoverBox splash page for uniformity
  • Added horizontal scrolling game description (thanks to HelperControl plugin)
  • Game list now centers while scrolling (thanks to ListBox Scroll Center for BigBox plugin)
  • Added better looking scan line
  • Added animation to the clear logo
  • Compressed background and star rating images
  • Optimized code
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love these themes, but I am having a problem with the Sega Saturn version. The spinning/rotating game discs look odd because they all have a white square border around them.

Is there any way to stop the rotation?

Edited by Link138

I am not sure about the CoverBox theme as I have never used it, I use the Unified theme, and in that theme there is a view that shows the box and the disc and the disc does not rotate. That won't get rid of the non-transparent backgrounds in your image though, just make them less horrible looking. I have edited my Saturn disc images that had non-transparent backgrounds by using paint.NET. It's a free editing tool.

• Like 1

Just my offering with some instructions since I'm not familiar with Paint.NET:

Download and install GIMP (it's free)

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Open your Saturn disc images

File -> Open

image.thumb.png.54bffaa0c6798b1b1e31d1385f2c8751.pngOnce it's opened, go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel

image.thumb.png.c6518ea58edc5662a7b99e3648861dfb.pngUse either the Fuzzy Select tool or Free Select tool from the Tool Box:

Fuzzy Select:

image.thumb.png.bccc3bf225f8889c06c52c71c16b3d77.pngFree Select:

image.thumb.png.4116db3ea67214beb4bb8092cb709890.pngIf using Fuzzy Select, just click in a white area and then press the Delete key to remove the background:

image.thumb.png.4cf8010441bf248399f9e028d80964d9.pngimage.thumb.png.ee64bd7dd7c88b83d75001ea570aae32.pngFuzzy Select will often leave undesirable "mess" in your image, so using Free Select is better as you will have more control over the area you are removing:

image.thumb.png.c76a548d10e2becbf1927732900ea3ca.pngimage.thumb.png.25d3c16e3fd4136a4b4bcd3a701b4c64.pngIf you make a mistake, just use Ctrl+Z to undo it. You can also zoom in if your need to by going to View -> Zoom from the ribbon at the top of the window.

Once you're done with the edits, go to File -> Export As:

image.thumb.png.79943caa51ff17890a369137bac9f116.pngName the file and be sure to change the extension to PNG if it is a JPG/JPEG. JPGs do not hold an alpha layer (transparency), so the white background would just reappear if you don't change it to an image format that supports alpha channels. Choose where you want it exported to from the left-hand column:

image.thumb.png.1050055051380ff4afd6b8c94ca5f7d6.pngimage.thumb.png.1daac6a879015f94ec287920f524d5d7.pngClick Export and then Export again in the next window (don't need to make any changes here for this)

Now you have a disc with a transparent background, so it won't look weird in the theme.

Hope this helps!

You may also be able to find discs that already have an alpha by searching game name disc png, but I generally have to clean up my own.

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the help, everyone, but I've run into a new problem.

I was able to replace the disc images with transparent background versions, however, now the game boxes won't show up.

Instead, a large version of the disc images is replacing the boxes.

Any ideas?

saturn.jpg

On 7/6/2018 at 8:00 PM, Link138 said:

Thanks for all the help, everyone, but I've run into a new problem.

I was able to replace the disc images with transparent background versions, however, now the game boxes won't show up.

Instead, a large version of the disc images is replacing the boxes.

Any ideas?

saturn.jpg

Go into launch box and select Sega Saturn platform and change your image group from disc to box 

On 7/9/2018 at 4:12 PM, dig311dug said:

I predict... an updated NES coverbox theme is next!

Sorry, not right this time!

I updated both the CoverBox - NES and NES Detailed themes! And the CoverBox - N64 theme! And the CoverBox - Gamecube and Gamecube 2 themes!

Spoiler
  • CoverBox - NES and CoverBox - NES Detailed have been updated to version 1.11
    • Added the CoverBox splash page for uniformity
    • Game list now centers while scrolling (thanks to ListBox Scroll Center for BigBox plugin)
    • Changed the rotatetransforms to skewtransforms
    • Added better looking scan lines
    • Added animation to the clear logo
    • Compressed all images
  • CoverBox - N64 has been updated to version 1.11
  • CoverBox - Gamecube and CoverBox - Gamecube 2 has been updated to version 1.11

• Like 2