Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

On 7/9/2018 at 4:12 PM, dig311dug said:

I predict... an updated NES coverbox theme is next!

Sorry, not right this time!

I updated both the CoverBox - NES and NES Detailed themes! And the CoverBox - N64 theme! And the CoverBox - Gamecube and Gamecube 2 themes!

 

 

Spoiler
  • CoverBox - NES and CoverBox - NES Detailed have been updated to version 1.11
    • Added the CoverBox splash page for uniformity
    • Game list now centers while scrolling (thanks to ListBox Scroll Center for BigBox plugin)
    • Changed the rotatetransforms to skewtransforms
    • Added better looking scan lines
    • Added animation to the clear logo
    • Compressed all images
  • CoverBox - N64 has been updated to version 1.11
  • CoverBox - Gamecube and CoverBox - Gamecube 2 has been updated to version 1.11

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FoxyMonty said:

I believe there is a missing plugin from both the NES themes. 

Thanks, looked like the CoverBox - NES Detailed was missing the plugin, but the NES one did have it.

You may need to unblock the plugin by right clicking the zip file, or the plugin, going into properties, and unblock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CoverBox - PSX has been released

  • This theme consists of 4 separate themes, with 2 distinct styles.
  • CoverBox - PSX NTSC - Depicts the NTSC version of the PlayStation 1 cover
    • CoverBox - PSX NTSC Spin - Same as above, but the discs are animated
  • CoverBox - PSX PAL - Depicts the PAL version of the PlayStation 1 cover
    • CoverBox - PSX PAL Spin - Same as above, but the discs are animated

 

Edited by faeran
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work, I was getting really bummed out lately due to themes lacking any individual character for each system - right when I was about to reluctantly settle, I spot this thread! Incredible stuff, I'm super grateful for your efforts.

Any plans for Wii U, 3DS, NDS and PS2?

Edited by Rhine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm pretty new to BigBox, so maybe I just need to tweak a setting in BigBox, but I just pulled down your CoverBox 32X theme to try it out and I love it. I am having a strange issue where I'll go through the game list and when I select one, I get a list of options like "Play", "Add to favorites", "Mark as Broken" etc. but as I'm navigating that list, the instruction manual and cart swoop back in and take away my visibility for the options. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there at least a way I can change the length of time before that happens?

Otherwise, loving the theme! Looking forward to installing many more of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparksterz said:

So, I'm pretty new to BigBox, so maybe I just need to tweak a setting in BigBox, but I just pulled down your CoverBox 32X theme to try it out and I love it. I am having a strange issue where I'll go through the game list and when I select one, I get a list of options like "Play", "Add to favorites", "Mark as Broken" etc. but as I'm navigating that list, the instruction manual and cart swoop back in and take away my visibility for the options. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there at least a way I can change the length of time before that happens?

Otherwise, loving the theme! Looking forward to installing many more of them.

Pretty sure the game options screen doesn't work in Cover Box themes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sparksterz said:

So, I'm pretty new to BigBox, so maybe I just need to tweak a setting in BigBox, but I just pulled down your CoverBox 32X theme to try it out and I love it. I am having a strange issue where I'll go through the game list and when I select one, I get a list of options like "Play", "Add to favorites", "Mark as Broken" etc. but as I'm navigating that list, the instruction manual and cart swoop back in and take away my visibility for the options. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is there at least a way I can change the length of time before that happens?

Otherwise, loving the theme! Looking forward to installing many more of them.

Hi @sparksterz. Thanks for the comment. This is the unfortunate truth for a few of the coverbox themes due to the limitations of the theming engine. When I created the ones with the animations, I had to make a decision to either have the box art appear, or always show the game list. I ended up choosing to make the box appear, which means that if you use the game options screen, you won't be able to see the menu. 

I'll probably release versions of the themes that keeps the game list in lieu of the artwork. However, the ideal solution would be if the theming engine would allow for more than one text list view. That would solve this particular issue. 

Until then, we settle for what we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah well, I'll hope for that day. In the meantime I hopefully won't really need it as I get more acquainted with Big Box. I mean ultimately my whole goal is to not spend a bunch of time in menus.

Thanks for the replies alnyden and faeran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @faeran. I've already uploaded my review of these themes, but the tl;dr is that they're all great, but suffer from design inconsistencies across platforms (some has video scanlines, some rotate covers, etc).

For this post I wanted to propose a primary suggestion for this project: Uploading a 'general' theme. Something to use as a placeholder for systems without it's own custom theme yet, or those unlikely to have custom themes at all. I believe this is a good idea because it'll match people's less popular platforms with the rest of the project without looking too out-of-place. Maybe have it be some generic retro/pixel look or something.

Otherwise, the only other suggestions I have are mostly a wishlist of platforms to add that are less reasonable to divest energy/time into, but I'll list them anyways in the off-chance they catch your attention:

  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo WiiU
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Sony PSP
  • Sony PS2

And these are less reasonable because these systems lack actual "game covers" to design around. I feel that they fit better under the 'general' theme idea than having dedicated themes themselves, but regardless:

  • MAME platform
  • PC-Based Arcade Systems (Taito-X, Tekno Parrot, etc)
  • Sega Model 2 & 3
  • MS-DOS
  • Modern Computer Games (Steam/Windows/etc)

Overall your project is great and I hope to see it updated to be even better over time. Thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been absolutely enjoying these themes, although I ran into a bizarre issue with the Virtual Boy theme - when I hot select the CoverBox - VirtualBoy theme, the video snap runs full screen and the covers all display simultaneously in a wall-like view (attached screenshot).  All my other Coverbox themes have worked perfectly on Launchbox 8.7; any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

vboy.jpg

Edited by cnm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cnm said:

Been absolutely enjoying these themes, although I ran into a bizarre issue with the Virtual Boy theme - when I hot select the CoverBox - VirtualBoy theme, the video snap runs full screen and the covers all display simultaneously in a wall-like view (attached screenshot).  All my other Coverbox themes have worked perfectly on Launchbox 8.7; any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

vboy.jpg

You are in the wrong view there, that is the defaulf wall view,just switch the view there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You are in the wrong view there, that is the defaulf wall view,just switch the view there.

Thanks for the input!  hmmm, I double-checked that I was selecting the right theme (attached), and tried again with the same result...by chance, is there any reason that BigBox would mistake the CoverBox theme for the wall view?

vboy2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cnm said:

Thanks for the input!  hmmm, I double-checked that I was selecting the right theme (attached), and tried again with the same result...by chance, is there any reason that BigBox would mistake the CoverBox theme for the wall view?

vboy2.jpg

Each theme has several "views", go to options then keyboard or controller depending on what you use and set a button to "switch view" go back to that view and use the button you just set to cycle through the views to the one you want.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Each theme has several "views", go to options then keyboard or controller depending on what you use and set a button to "switch view" go back to that view and use the button you just set to cycle through the views to the one you want.

That did the trick☺️  Thank you so much for the help!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cnm said:

 

That did the trick☺️  Thank you so much for the help!!

Cool, glad i could help. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...