LaunchBox Community Forums

Thanks for the kind words and the show of appreciation. Knowing that the plugin is useful to someone, even if its just 1 or 2 people, is motivation enough for me ? Since it appears that at least a couple of you are eager to check out the new version, I think I'm going to change up my release plans a bit. Instead of stressing over getting the initial release as close to perfection as possible, I think I'm going to post a beta for those of you who are interested. @cammelspit has been doing a lot of testing for me, and he has had really good results thus far, with only a few extreme edge cases causing minor issues. I'm going to fix a couple of issues quick I've noted on my "to-fix" list, ask @cammelspit if there is any minor issues he thinks should be fixed before releasing a beta, and then I will compile a beta for you guys. It would actually be really useful to get feedback from y'all if you come across any problems, and it could potentially help make the final release that much more stable. I'll try my best to get the beta out for y'all in the next day or 2... maybe sooner. Thanks again for the interest and support guys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Keeper86 said:

Sounds good! I'll be up for beta testing for sure :)

I'm working hard, as I post this, to get the beta out to y'all. Sorry its taking a little longer than I expected. I unexpectedly had to go out of town for about a day and a half, so that kind of put me behind schedule a bit. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to let everyone know that the beta is up. I actually posted the file a few hours ago, but I just got done updating the associated documentation. Please let me know how you like it or if you have any problems with it! If you want to back up your existing "SteamLauncher" directory prior to installing the beta, MAKE SURE you do NOT leave it inside of the "Plugins" directory OR ANYWHERE ELSE within the directory structure of LaunchBox.. Move it outside of the LaunchBox directory entirely.. Strictly speaking, you probably do not have to delete your existing config.xml file, but if you have any problems, make sure to try deleting your old config.xml file first, and then run LaunchBox again (it will create a new config.xml file when the plugin loads.)

I'm looking forward to hearing yall's input!

If you have ANY problems with the plugin, I want to know about them. While you are free to post here on the plugin thread or send me a PM, the most effective/fastest way to speak with me personally is via Steam. If I am at my computer, I will answer your message immediately. My Steam alias is lahma0. You can click on my alias to open my Steam profile to add me as a friend, or you can click the following link:
Send Friend Request to lahma0 (steam://friends/add/76561198237461630)

Let me say one more thing, just to head off any potential problems. In order to activate the new features included with the beta, you will first have to activate the plugin. These instructions are in the documentation, but I will repost them here for convenience:

In LaunchBox, this toggle can be found at the bottom of the “Tools” menu. In BigBox, this toggle can be found near the bottom of the root system menu (go back one level after starting BigBox). The new functionality is OFF by default. To turn it ON, simply click the menu item. When enabled, the menu item text will end with “(ON)” as displayed in the image below. When this option is turned ON, the old plugin’s “Launch via Steam” context menu item will be unavailable.

LaunchBox

image.thumb.png.36bbbc86a34ca366f8f82ed75c9643e3.png

BigBox

image.png.22662fde21dfde41c40aded8af9181ee.png

Edited by Lahma
Adding Steam contact info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Keeper86 said:

Thanks! Gonna try it out later :)

Great! I'm really looking forward to hearing your feedback. Despite there having been around 15 downloads since I posted it nearly 24 hours ago, I haven't personally heard from anyone as to whether it is working for them or not. It would be great to hear from at least a couple of people about their experience with it. 

Just a quick FYI: If you have ANY problems with the plugin, I want to know about them, and I would be happy to personally help resolve the issues. While you are free to post here on the plugin thread or send me a PM, the most effective/fastest way to speak with me personally is via Steam. If I am at my computer, I will answer your message immediately. My Steam alias is lahma0. You can click on my alias to open my Steam profile to add me as a friend, or you can click the following link:
Send Friend Request to lahma0 (steam://friends/add/76561198237461630)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HTPCei said:

Not checked in on this thread for a while, glad I did!.. I'll update n test the plugin this weekend n let you know how it works for me. Thanks again

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you!

On 3/23/2019 at 12:37 AM, Voodox said:

Getting an odd error.

When I try to launch a game that uses retroarch to emulate it, it does a hard stop and doesnt launch. PCSX2, Dolphin and the like do correctly.

Just a note to myself for future reference that I talked to this guy on Steam and we resolved the problem he was having.

Just tried it out, and I'm getting the opposite of Voodox, above. 

Every game/system I tried that uses Retroarch works fine, but PCSX2 and Dolphin dont load, just loads the Steam client window.

I'm also using the PCSX2 Configurator plugin, whiich might be complicating things, but would be great if the 2 plugins could be used together.

I'm going to try a few more things, will post here if I have any more luck,.. does work great for Retroarch for me though, great job Lahma, thanks again :)

21 minutes ago, HTPCei said:

Just tried it out, and I'm getting the opposite of Voodox, above. 

Every game/system I tried that uses Retroarch works fine, but PCSX2 and Dolphin dont load, just loads the Steam client window.

I'm also using the PCSX2 Configurator plugin, whiich might be complicating things, but would be great if the 2 plugins could be used together.

I'm going to try a few more things, will post here if I have any more luck,.. does work great for Retroarch for me though, great job Lahma, thanks again :)

Hey @HTPCei, I probably know exactly what your issue is. Hit me up on Steam and I will tell you how to fix your problem in about 2 min flat. Send Friend Request to lahma0 (steam://friends/add/76561198237461630)

You could actually be of a lot of help to me if you have just a couple of min to help me out. Although I know how to fix your problem (and its really simple), if you could do me a huge favor and turn on debug logging in the plugin and send me a copy of your logs (while the problem is still occurring), it might help me track down WHY this problem is occurring. I think I've already implemented a fix for this issue in a newer non-public build of the plugin, but its been driving me a bit crazy not knowing what caused it in the first place... So, you could really help satiate my curiosity in that regard ?

Edited by Lahma

For some reason my emulator paths for PCSX2, Dolphin, andd Cemu had been changed to point to Steam.exe, I changed the paths back and got Dolphin and Cemu working ok, and PCSX2 loaded, just without the pcsx2 configurator settings.

Ive enabled debug logging in the plugin config, I'll run a few games/systems and send you my logs shortly.

Just now, HTPCei said:

For some reason my emulator paths for PCSX2, Dolphin, andd Cemu had been changed to point to Steam.exe, I changed the paths back and got Dolphin and Cemu working ok, and PCSX2 loaded, just without the pcsx2 configurator settings.

Ive enabled debug logging in the plugin config, I'll run a few games/systems and send you my logs shortly.

Ya, thats what I was going to tell you... There is some issue with the plugin that is causing it to change emulator/game paths under VERY specific circumstances (your case is the 1st that I've heard of where it changed more than 1 emulator/game path). Everyone who has had it happen has not had it happen again, even once, after fixing the paths the first time, so I'm kinda perplexed as to the cause of the issue. I've implemented a fix in a more recent unpublished version of the plugin to prevent it from ever changing any game/emulator path to the Steam executable so that it won't happen anymore, but I'm still curious as to the cause.

If you've fixed the problem now, and it isn't occurring anymore, then enabling debug logging now and sending me the logs probably isn't going to be too useful. If you want to send them over though, I will still gladly take a look and see if I can glean any useful information from them.

13 minutes ago, HTPCei said:

Since I don't use PCSX2 configurator, I have not tried it with my plugin, but using the new functionality (turning the universal launching feature on in the tools menu, NOT using the game context menu item "Launch via Steam"), there is no reason that it should not work (that is, if while using PCSX2 configurator, launching games in LB works normally and startup/shutdown screens work normally). If PCSX2 configurator uses a "launcher" exe to launch games, then this could be the cause of the problem. There is however an undocumented function in the plugin to deal with this exact scenario, and it only requires a quick, simple edit to the config.xml file. I would be happy to explain how to do this. Just hit me up on Steam... Or, if you'd prefer not to msg on Steam, let me know, and I can explain it here or on a PM.

I just tried it out again, and it's now working correctly with all my current emulators: Retroarch, Demul, Dolphin, Cemu, and even PCSX2, including the configurator plugin!

I think other than the inital path fix, all I really did was restart my pc and everything worked fine this time,.. awesome work, thanks again!