LaunchBox Community Forums

8 hours ago, The_Keeper86 said:

I think I might've asked before but is it possible to launch non Steam PC games as well? When I try to launch for example Silent Hill 2 it says failed to launch :/

Basically anything should launch using SteamLauncher since v0.9.0.2. Have you tried any other PC game besides Silent Hill 2? Its kinda hard to offer any kind of help when the only thing you've provided is "xxxx doesn't work" and you've not provided any debug logs or anything. Also, are you using the beta release I attached to my post 1 or 2 pages back? The release on the main plugin download page will not work currently. The beta release attached to my post should work fine though.

One other thing to keep in mind when launching many PC games is escalated privileges. Just like if you try to add a non-Steam game shortcut to Steam manually, and that game requests privilege escalation as soon as it launches, but Steam isn't running escalated, the Steam overlay will not be able to attach to the game. I don't think I've actually come across a single PC game that actually needed admin privileges, but for some inexplicable reason, many publishers enable that flag on their game executables. Unless you want to run LaunchBox and Steam as admin, which I don't suggest, the easiest way around this problem is to launch your game using a command such as this:

cmd /min /C "set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER && start "" "path\to\game.exe""

This will force the game to run with the same privileges as the process that starts it. Let me know if you have success using SteamLauncher (the beta release) with other games, and we can move forward from there to try to troubleshoot Silent Hill 2.

Edited by Lahma

10 hours ago, The_Keeper86 said:

Yeah, I'm using the beta you posted it works great with the emulators I've tried just isn't working with normal PC games. I have tried a few other PC games too with the same results. So I don't think its a privileges thing.

Would it help if I posted my debug log?

I just checked, and all PC games are working fine for me. What exactly is it doing after you click "Launch via Steam"? Is anything happening at all? Go ahead and post your debug log, and I will take a look at it. One thing you can do to check if SteamLauncher is creating the temporary non-Steam shortcut correctly is to open your Steam game library, hover your mouse over "Library", click "HIDDEN", and look for a shortcut named after the last game you tried launching (it will likely be the only hidden Steam shortcut if you've never created any yourself.) By right clicking that shortcut and clicking "Properties", you can check the path, launch parameters, etc, to see if something is wrong. You can even try manually launching the shortcut. Anyways, post the debug logs, and I'll take a look. I gotta admit that I'm a little skeptical that this has anything to do with the plugin, as I haven't changed anything in regards to this functionality, but I suppose its not impossible. Hopefully we can get the problem fixed whatever it is.

Log

The only thing that shows when clicking "launch via Steam" is a "Steam -Shortcut launch failed" box shows up that says failed to launch Sonic Heroes (Windows) or whatever other PC game I try launching via Steam.

I'm not sure what it is either either. I opened hidden games and checked the commands for the last game I tried launching which was Sonic Heroes. The target command worked just fine in "run" but the start in box is kinda strange it reads "..\Sega\Sonic Heroes" (with the quotes) I'm gonna try another PC game too to see if "start in" shows something similar. Though I'm leaning towards its something to do with that "start in" box? I appreciate the help!

Right click on Sonic Heroes in LaunchBox, and click 'Edit'. Tell me what is the path inside of 'Application Path' under the 'Launcher' tab. Also, tell me what is the path inside of 'Root Folder' under the 'Folder' tab. 

It appears that my plugin isn't resolving the relative path of the "Start in" directory to an absolute path correctly. Its kind of wild I haven't heard any complaints about this problem previously if that is indeed the issue, but I guess maybe most people are using absolute paths for that particular entry in their pc games. Once you send me back those 2 values, if that is indeed the case, I will fix it asap and upload another beta. Thanks for working with me on this, and sorry my response has been a bit delayed... Just been a bit busy, not to mention I have a serious sinus infection on top of everything else.

I think you may be right about the absolute paths. LB added a lot of my non Steam PC games automatically.

App path for Sonic Heroes ..\Sega\Sonic Heroes\Tsonic_win.exe

Root folder ..\Sega\Sonic Heroes

And no problem on the delay I totally understand. I should've thought about the absolute path before. I'm guessing Steam doesn't like those. So maybe it isn't the plugin after all and I just have to manually chnage the locations in LB?

58 minutes ago, The_Keeper86 said:

I think you may be right about the absolute paths. LB added a lot of my non Steam PC games automatically.

App path for Sonic Heroes ..\Sega\Sonic Heroes\Tsonic_win.exe

Root folder ..\Sega\Sonic Heroes

And no problem on the delay I totally understand. I should've thought about the absolute path before. I'm guessing Steam doesn't like those. So maybe it isn't the plugin after all and I just have to manually chnage the locations in LB?

Even if Steam did handle relative paths, the paths are relative to the LaunchBox directory, not the Steam directory, so they wouldn't work. So ya, the problem is definitely my plugin. In all instances other than the 'Root folder' ('Start in'), my plugin resolves all relative paths to absolute paths before feeding them to Steam, so its clearly just an oversight on my part (an oversight that I am a bit mystified as to how it hasn't been noticed or reported by anyone thus far). Regardless, I will fix it asap. In fact, I'm going to try to do it right now, and I will post a new release with the changes. I'll report back here as soon as I have the new release uploaded. Thanks for all your help man!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lahma said:

Even if Steam did handle relative paths, the paths are relative to the LaunchBox directory, not the Steam directory, so they wouldn't work. So ya, the problem is definitely my plugin. In all instances other than the 'Root folder' ('Start in'), my plugin resolves all relative paths to absolute paths before feeding them to Steam, so its clearly just an oversight on my part (an oversight that I am a bit mystified as to how it hasn't been noticed or reported by anyone thus far). Regardless, I will fix it asap. In fact, I'm going to try to do it right now, and I will post a new release with the changes. I'll report back here as soon as I have the new release uploaded. Thanks for all your help man!

Awesome looking forward to whatever you come up with. And no problem glad I could help! :)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The_Keeper86 said:

I can check. What do you want me to do?

Just see if any existing game/rom you have will launch using SteamLauncher. My LaunchBox is freezing right now when trying to use the plugin. I've been so overwhelmed the last couple of days that I haven't had any time to look into it in detaill. I did briefly attach a debugger to it, and it appears that the general Steam client API hooks are working fine, so that is what led me to believe that it could possibly be something on my system, rather than a problem caused by the recent Steam update. However, like I said, I just looked at it very briefly, so it may still have something to do with the update. If you right click on a game in LaunchBox and click "Launch via Steam", and your LaunchBox freezes, then I will at least know that it is something related to the Steam update. I may still have time to look at it tonight, but I may just wait till tomorrow. Whatever it is, I suspect it isn't going to be anything to complicated to figure out. Thanks for your help!

On 10/15/2018 at 8:02 PM, The_Keeper86 said:

It's freezing for me too man. Hopefully you can figure it out. Not sure what Valve did this time.

Working on a fix. As has been pretty typical recently, I haven't fixed it as quickly as I intended, but I should hopefully have a fix uploaded soon.

Alright, I figured out the issues, and I think I got everything resolved. I just updated the plugin download page with the new version (0.9.0.5). If anyone has any problems with it, please let me know. Thanks!

Here is a quick link to the new version if you don't want to download it from the official plugin download page:
SteamLauncher_0.9.0.5.zip

P.S. I also updated the GitHub page for the plugin.

• Thanks 1