LaunchBox Community Forums

Zomb's Lair - Reviving Old Classics

Zombeaver

7 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I didn't get to see the question, but based on the response I'm assuming you were asking how you get 3.1 games to boot on startup.

Ah, yes. I shoud have left the original message, sorry. I wanted to know how you launched the games on win3.1 startup. You got it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, this is an excellent Lovecraftian adventure. More than 6 years ago I had finished a dosbox version of The Scroll for the first time. It was oozing atmosphere and I am pretty sure the puzzles were more logical than 'Shadow of the Comet', which I never managed to finish out of boredom.

Yep. It's pretty good. I like it more than Shadow of the Comet personally. Like I said in the review, most of the time when something is directly adapted from Lovecraft's writings to film/game it ends up being disappointing because it probably won't measure up to our own imagination. The best use of Lovecraftian ideas in my experience is when the same storytelling techniques and the same sort of atmosphere are employed without copying anything specific beat for beat, and I think Daughter of Serpents is a good example of that.

• 1 month later...

Blade Runner has been updated to fix the crash when a disc drive (physical or virtual) wasn't visible when the game launched, thanks to a patch made by The Uploader on abandonware-forums.org. Thanks to Biffman 101 of The Collection Chamber for bringing it to my attention and @neil9000 for helping me do a bit of testing to make sure it was working okay.

• Like 2

Gadget Collection has now been added to Zomb's Lair. This includes Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure and Gadget: Past as Future. It also includes a bunch of extras:

Gadget - Past as Future Webdoc - story and behind the scenes info
Gadget Trips: Mindscapes - an animated film based on Gadget
Resonance of Gadget - the extended OST
Inside Out with Gadget - the artbook for the game
Four-Sight - This is an additional game that, while not directly related to Gadget, was also developed by Synergy Inc, plays much the same as Gadget, and is highly surrealistic, like Gadget. It's highly obscure and was released only in Japan. No Japanese comprehension is required for play.

2glzDFD.png

• Like 4

I have discovered your website : amazing !  ?

I was teen at the end of 80ies .... I don't know how to run my old CD roms on windows 10 and you save the day !

Thanks !  ?

Even if it's not the place for requesting a game ... it would be great to play - again - to hell a cyberpunk Thriller (1994).
It was a good one and we are still requesting for a GOG version.... without any success (I guess I'm must the only remembering this game....)

13 minutes ago, John vault said:

I have discovered your website : amazing !  ?

I was teen at the end of 80ies .... I don't know how to run my old CD roms on windows 10 and you save the day !

Thanks !  ?

No problem! Glad you're enjoying it :)

13 minutes ago, John vault said:

Even if it's not the place for requesting a game ... it would be great to play - again - to hell a cyberpunk Thriller (1994).
It was a good one and we are still requesting for a GOG version.... without any success (I guess I'm must the only remembering this game....)

I have no problem with people making requests in here, that's perfectly fine. I've actually got Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller setup on my computer already. I'm not a big fan of the game, so it wasn't too high on my priority list, but I'll bump it up since you asked. I've got another package I'm working on currently, but should be able to do it after that.

• Like 1

oh that would be great !  ? 
I know the one BIG CON for hell a cyberpunk Thriller  : the time limit !  yeah it was pretty stupid if you ask me...
But Take2  made a rather solid game (not perfect of course...)

So you 're working on a new package .....  any clue ? ?

is it an adventure game ? Action Game ?

Edited by John vault
correction

17 minutes ago, John vault said:

So you 're working on a new package .....  any clue ? ?

is it an adventure game ? Action Game ?

I'm actually doing something a little different this time. I've had the idea for a while to package together some obscure games that have some kind of common theme.

2105400745_ZombsObscuraVol.1.thumb.png.19cbc7fc848f4e559f80ffd192a190f6.pngOriginally I was going to do one for Korean DOS games - Astrocounter of Crescents, Baryon, and Zyclunt - but then thought it might be more interesting to do one on robot/mecha focused beat em ups since two of those already fit the bill. So I dropped Baryon (will probably add that to something later) and added in some additional ones. It will contain:

Astrocounter of Crescents (English patched and scrolling fixed) [DOS]
Genocide [x68000]
Genocide 2 [DOS]
Genocide 2 [x68000]
Mad Stalker: Full Metal Forth [x68000]
Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force [PSX]
Zyclunt [DOS]

I've added controller support to all of them via Antimicro. The x68000 and PSX games have custom bezels made by me as well as shader support (I'm using Retroarch for those).

Some other ideas I have for future Zomb's Obscura volumes currently are DOS/C64/Amiga shmups and Scorched Earth (artillery game) clones.

• Like 2

I know Mad Stalker but frankly I never touched to Genocide.. I thought it was a simulator Mecha game (all in Japanese ...).. and it's an action game...

It sounds nice !! ?
Now regarding shmups on Amiga... There are a lot of gems (ah... SWIV, Xenon 1 and 2, Banshee,.....) ! ?
I still remember when i touched a C64 the first time  : I played Raid over Moscow !  never saw a so hard and yet various shmups before ! ?
This game could be in your selection.....

Edited by John vault
correction

Zomb's Obscura Vol. 1 - Mecha Beat Em Ups has now been added to Zomb's Lair.

cGomNpF.png

This is a collection of 7 (well more like 6 since both the DOS and x68000 versions of Genocide 2 are included) mecha-themed beat em ups. For 5 of the 7 games (all but Astrocounter of Crescents and Genocide 2 (DOS)) I've included my own custom bezels and shaders as well.

1118618371_Genocide2.thumb.png.7a72ef1fc43769bd04164e7e78232cb0.png1045519717_MadStalkerFullMetalForth.thumb.png.273308e1a70a1febc1c59f7bb5fb0ba3.pngZyclunt.thumb.png.eda831df34761ee3972c0169513f632f.pngPlease be sure to read either the "Special Notes" section on the website or the readme included with the install!

• Like 2