LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox - Select Random Game Feature fixed by "Wheel Spin"

FreeSoftwareServers

Looks great! Is there any way to make this an option on the Platform categories or Platform screen? It would be great if it could be added to a games list screen (i.e. Nintendo 64 Games list) as well. Thanks for helping make progress on this issue. 

4 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

A lot of us wanted this feature, and no one apart from me and FreeSoftwareServers has put a "thanks" or a "like" on Grila's post. Pull your finger out people.

Such is the nature of the interwebz :) I'm glad you're satisfied and appreciate the support.

• Thanks 1

Good overall plugin, just a shame I can't really use it since I don't see a way to edit the categories on the plugin to match what I have for play modes. :(

Also really wish there was a way to have it be bound to a key, so I can just press a key to select a random game while in a platform view.

It would be nice if there was a way to make a plugin that selected a random game in whatever current view you are in and had the wheel spin to that game's position.  The game detail view is alright, but I have that disabled on my machine by default for users and wish I could avoid having to go through it.

The wheel spin causes a huge lag on my system so I love that it goes to the game Details page.

That being said I wish that it was bound to a button or a keyboard shortcut so that I could use it on a platform View, and it would only look for games in that platform.

The current implementation works for me I had fun playing random games the other night, I just wish I could filter by platform.

Suggestion make random games a whole sub menu, with Advanced filters. That way it doesn't clutter up current menu.

7 minutes ago, FreeSoftwareServers said:

The wheel spin causes a huge lag on my system so I love that it goes to the game Details page.

That being said I wish that it was bound to a button or a keyboard shortcut so that I could use it on a platform View, and it would only look for games in that platform.

The current implementation works for me I had fun playing random games the other night, I just wish I could filter by platform.

Suggestion make random games a whole sub menu, with Advanced filters. That way it doesn't clutter up current menu.

I suppose I understand what you mean about wheel spin, I'm running on a pretty fast system so lag has never really been an issue for me. I just like the aesthetic of the wheel spin, and feel it would look pretty cool when coupled with a plug-in like this.

But I definitely do wish there was a way to bind it to a key, also wish it could sink with whatever you have for your play modes, as I have put a good bit of customization into mine.

@MayorQwert can you give me some examples of your play modes please? Exact as possible including any punctuation you have in them so I can get an idea how to handle them.

For example, some of the default LaunchBox play modes are:

• Single Player
  • Multiplayer
  • Cooperative; Multiplayer
  • 2-Player Alternating
  • 2-Player Simultaneous
  • 3-Player Simultaneous
  • 4-Player Alternating / 2-Player Simultaneous
  • 4-Player Alternating
  • 4-Player Simultaneous

12 minutes ago, Grila said:

@MayorQwert can you give me some examples of your play modes please? Exact as possible including any punctuation you have in them so I can get an idea how to handle them.

For example, some of the default LaunchBox play modes are:

• Single Player
  • Multiplayer
  • Cooperative; Multiplayer
  • 2-Player Alternating
  • 2-Player Simultaneous
  • 3-Player Simultaneous
  • 4-Player Alternating
  • 4-Player Simultaneous

Sure!

I use a lot of the default ones, but got rid of the Multiplayer tag, as I felt it was redundant.

Here's all of my play modes:

• 2-Player Alternating
  • 2-Player Simultaneous
  • 3-Player Simultaneous
  • 4-Player Alternating
  • 4-Player Simultaneous
  • 6-Player Simultaneous
  • 8-Player Alternating / 2-Player Simultaneous
  • Competitive
  • Cooperative
  • Single Player

7 minutes ago, MayorQwert said:

It would be interesting if it would be possible to have a key you could bind that would find a random game in whatever view you happen to be in.  If that's too hard to do then perhaps an option to pick by genre, but I digress.

It's on my list. 

• Thanks 2

OK, I have some progress to report:

• hotkey has been added but I could only use what's available in the plugin API (up, down, left, right, enter, esc). Right now, I have it bound to holding right which sounds a little weird, but in use it's really not that bad. I'm gonna tag @Jason Carr to get some feedback on if we can implement a user settable hotkey to the API.
  • The playmodes are now taken directly from the xml file of the selected platform. This should solve the problem of your manually edited playmodes @MayorQwert. Now, there is a downside to getting them automatically as the plugin won't work for playlists since the playmodes aren't stored in the playlist xml.

The plugin still goes to the game details screen for now because in the API there is no other way for me to navigate to the game. I'm going to tag @Jason Carr again to see if that also can be added to the API.

Other than that, I'm chugging along. Here's a little video of the new revision in action. In the video, when I get to Sega 32x you can see a custom playmode I created on one game (just to illustrate to can set your playmodes to anything you want).

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Grila said:

OK, I have some progress to report:

• hotkey has been added but I could only use what's available in the plugin API (up, down, left, right, enter, esc). Right now, I have it bound to holding right which sounds a little weird, but in use it's really not that bad. I'm gonna tag @Jason Carr to get some feedback on if we can implement a user settable hotkey to the API.
  • The playmodes are now taken directly from the xml file of the selected platform. This should solve the problem of your manually edited playmodes @MayorQwert. Now, there is a downside to getting them automatically as the plugin won't work for playlists since the playmodes aren't stored in the playlist xml.

The plugin still goes to the game details screen for now because in the API there is no other way for me to navigate to the game. I'm going to tag @Jason Carr again to see if that also can be added to the API.

Other than that, I'm chugging along. Here's a little video of the new revision in action. In the video, when I get to Sega 32x you can see a custom playmode I created on one game (just to illustrate to can set your playmodes to anything you want).

You really are a champ, thanks for all your work!  I get excited every time I see there's been a post here now. haha.

• Like 1

Another little update:

• The plugin now works with playlists

When I first implemented grabbing the play modes directly from the platform XML files yesterday, I presumed it would no longer work for playlists because the playlist XML files don't have the play mode tag in them. This morning I realized I could just lookup the play mode for each game in the playlist by its ID. It's now implemented and everything is working as expected.

5b04152a2e742_LaunchBoxBigBox5_22_20189_03_04AM.thumb.png.32b558a829536c8292d41c23deac6663.png5b04153261ca8_LaunchBoxBigBox5_22_20189_03_17AM.thumb.png.79bd39e1bdb2eac115343df768bfa528.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Grila said:

Another little update:

• The plugin now works with playlists

When I first implemented grabbing the play modes directly from the platform XML files yesterday, I presumed it would no longer work for playlists because the playlist XML files don't have the play mode tag in them. This morning I realized I could just lookup the play mode for each game in the playlist by its ID. It's now implemented and everything is working as expected.

5b04152a2e742_LaunchBoxBigBox5_22_20189_03_04AM.thumb.png.32b558a829536c8292d41c23deac6663.png5b04153261ca8_LaunchBoxBigBox5_22_20189_03_17AM.thumb.png.79bd39e1bdb2eac115343df768bfa528.png

Where is the download link for the updated version, by the way?