LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox - Select Random Game Feature fixed by "Wheel Spin"

FreeSoftwareServers

Today's update along with the announcement that I think this thing is ready to go. I just have to write up some documentation because this one can't just be dropped in the LaunchBox\Plugins folder (because of the built in UI).

• Added a custom display of the random selected game for those of you who have the default BigBox Game Detail's screen disabled or don't wish to use it. If you did like the way the old plugin used the BigBox Game Detail's Screen, you can still use this as an option by setting UseBigBoxGameDetailScreen="True"

Here's a video of the new custom display:

I'm going to start writing the docs and should have this thing ready to fly by tomorrow, hopefully. If @Jason Carr implements hotkeys to the API, I'll change the way it's called now to utilize that. Otherwise, we're stuck with what we currently have available, which is holding right to call it. 

• Like 5

Ah I see, I dropped this into my plugin folder yesterday and it didn't do anything ;) I have game details screen off by default.

You are a godsend to this community @Grila not only with your awesome themes and plugins, but also you patience and willingness to help users with issues and requests.

Thank you. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Ah I see, I dropped this into my plugin folder yesterday and it didn't do anything ;) I have game details screen off by default.

You are a godsend to this community @Grila not only with your awesome themes and plugins, but also you patience and willingness to help users with issues and requests.

Thank you. :)

This version hasn't been uploaded yet, the one on the downloads page is the initial one that uses the System Menu and it will show the Game Details Screen regardless of your individual settings (it's forced).

@Grila this is an INCREDIBLE feature! Thank you!

I am not at home right now to test it, but if I have the game details screen enabled in BB, would I still be able to see the new cover preview with the options to play or choose another game? I love the details screen for the games, so my perfect scenario would be to trigger your plugin, get the custom display with the options to play or choose another one, but when choosing to play, to send me to the Details screen and not directly to the game. If this is how it is working now, then I apologize as I am too excited and could not wait to get home to test it and know how it works.

3 minutes ago, Grila said:

This version hasn't been uploaded yet, the one on the downloads page is the initial one that uses the System Menu and it will show the Game Details Screen regardless of your individual settings (it's forced).

Hmm, must of been doing something wrong then, ill take another look.

1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

@Grila this is an INCREDIBLE feature! Thank you!

I am not at home right now to test it, but if I have the game details screen enabled in BB, would I still be able to see the new cover preview with the options to play or choose another game? I love the details screen for the games, so my perfect scenario would be to trigger your plugin, get the custom display with the options to play or choose another one, but when choosing to play, to send me to the Details screen and not directly to the game. If this is how it is working now, then I apologize as I am too excited and could not wait to get home to test it and know how it works.

Currently I have it set to use one or the other. If you have my custom display enabled, it skips the games detail view all together and just launches the game when you select "Play this game". I could possibly add another property that could be set to make it function like you mentioned.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Hmm, must of been doing something wrong then, ill take another look.

I actually may have misspoke @neil9000. I have game details enabled on my dev computer so you may be right about it not working with the option set to skip. Anyhow, that old plugin will be void once I release this one and it will be removed from the site.

1 hour ago, MayorQwert said:

Looking forward to trying out the updated version! Can't wait until updated hotkeys are added, since I get a lot of use out of using Left/Right to browse by letter as is the default setup in BigBox.

It will still function, you'll just have to go through the "browse by letter" index without holding right, but by repeated presses to move. But, a dedicated hotkey will be prime if it gets implemented.

And just to clarify to everyone, this new version IS NOT on the downloads page yet, that's the old version. I'll post here to let you guys know when I get it uploaded.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Grila said:

Currently I have it set to use one or the other. If you have my custom display enabled, it skips the games detail view all together and just launches the game when you select "Play this game". I could possibly add another property that could be set to make it function like you mentioned.

Gotcha.
Ideally it would be great for the plugin to check if the game details screen is enabled or not in BB, and either launch the game directly or go to the details when pressed "Play game".
Nevertheless, at its current state it is a great add-on, so thank you.

9 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Gotcha.
Ideally it would be great for the plugin to check if the game details screen is enabled or not in BB, and either launch the game directly or go to the details when pressed "Play game".
Nevertheless, at its current state it is a great add-on, so thank you.

I can most likely add that by checking the BigBox options xml. I'm going to release it in its current state now and I'll circle back and get that figured out. Great suggestion, thanks @Kondorito
  • Like 1

Can't seem to get it working for me. I am using the Default theme in BigBox and am wanting to try to get this working for game lists with the "Vertical Wheel 1" view.  I couldn't find an xaml called that, but I did find WheelGamesView.axml, which I presume to be the correct file. I added the lines mentioned in the instructions to this file, but it does not seem to change anything in BigBox. :(

Here's the beginning and end of my WheelGamesView.axml, respectively:

<UserControl xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
             xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
             xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
             xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008"
             xmlns:transitions="clr-namespace:Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Transitions;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf"
             xmlns:coverFlow="clr-namespace:Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Controls.CoverFlow;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf"
             xmlns:i="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/2010/interactivity"
             xmlns:cal="http://www.caliburnproject.org"
             xmlns:bbrgs="clr-namespace:BigBoxRGS;assembly=BigBoxRGS"
             mc:Ignorable="d"
             d:DesignHeight="562" d:DesignWidth="1000" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Style="{DynamicResource UserControlStyle}">
		</Grid>
        <ListBox Name="Index" Style="{DynamicResource HorizontalListBoxStyle}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}" Visibility="{Binding IndexVisibility}">
            <i:Interaction.Triggers>
                <i:EventTrigger EventName="MouseDoubleClick">
                    <cal:ActionMessage MethodName="OnEnter" />
                </i:EventTrigger>
            </i:Interaction.Triggers>
        </ListBox>

<Grid Height="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualHeight}" Width="{Binding ElementName=Canvas, Path=ActualWidth}">
             <bbrgs:RGSv2_0 HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center"/>         
        </Grid>

</Canvas>
</UserControl>

15 minutes ago, Grila said:

You can't edit the Default theme, it gets overwritten on each launch. You have to copy it and make the edits to the copy. Everything else you did is spot on though.

Okay, I made the changes again and copied the entirety of the 'Default' folder and renamed to 'Default2'. Launched BigBox up and set Default2 as my theme, tried to run the plugin but nothing happens when I hold right.

Edited by MayorQwert