LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Art for Mame

Reevesad

I only actually cut and pasted from his artwork onto the templates, didn't even know there were animated controls on them. 

At a guess I would say try one of his files first so take out the pictures and leave the lay file. If that doesn't work then maybe replace the lay file with one from his templates.

Which file are you looking for to replace?

There are a couple that are animated. It looks like his latest bezels started to incorporate it. It's neat, but a bit annoying and distracting during gameplay - and it hits the cpu pretty hard, which sucks for sower systems/setups. I think he was just tinkering around and trying to make something different.

One of the street fighter games and a few more had animated art. It's not a big deal, I was able to switch to his other view with a diff art. Though I art in the animated bezel better. I need to re-download your set and see what you have for those. I am kind of making a mashup all the bezel sets, mainly just trying to find missing art for the more obscure games I have pinned to my favorites list. It seems like every set focuses on different game styles; sometimes having missing art for some of the big classics.

Once I started converting the bezels I then realised that there were loads missing so I did a spreadsheet dump of all my romset (1800+), and worked alphabetically through the list to find a bezel for each rom. Where I couldn't find a bezel I then proceeded to make my own ones using artwork/ fan artwork ect for the games found on the internet. Unfortunately there's not artwork for every game especially some of the older games so I just used orionsangels side cabinet artwork and then made some variations for both vertical and Horizontal roms (6 for each, 12 in total).

I did delete a lot of the Japanese/Korean games that had foreign text on them, but that was my own preference.

My sets don't focus on genres or games styles. I've literally just gone through my whole rom set and made sure I have a bezel for each game. very OCD. 

I do have the Excel spreadsheet saved and it lists every game from my romset with all the romnames. So I'm happy to upload that if you want to cross reference with your set. as some of the romnames were quite obscure or slightly different from the bezels I found on the internet.

Here's an example of a game that I kept from Korea. I made this bezel as I couldn't find any artwork but just made it look like an arcade with other pachinko games in the background.

real_clear.png

On 7/17/2018 at 3:51 AM, Reevesad said:

I've literally just gone through my whole rom set and made sure I have a bezel for each game. very OCD. 

Hah, I hear you. This emulation stuff will bring that out in you. I was up way too late every day last week fine tuning my MAME controls and artwork. It does not make waking up early for work fun at all.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 5:12 PM, Reevesad said:

how easy is it to upload files to Launchbox? each folder is named the same as the rom title. and usually contains 3 .png files (original artwork from internet and then 2 from me real clear glass and real glass) plus a lay file. 

art1.png

Hey!

Do u remember who is the creator of that crazy climber bezel?

P.S

I just noticed that u are not utilizing MAME relative pathing for bezels?

With relative pathing u could cut down size of ur bezel collection by factor of 10 if not more. From 5gb to 500mb and more.

All that is required is to delete all duplicate glass /masks etc effects from every game and then put One of each in unified folder, and alter layout in each game to use it in its new location. Voila!

example:

<element name="Background">
    <image file="..\glass_effect.png"/>
  </element>

Edited by Undertherainbow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Undertherainbow said:

Hey!

Do u remember who is the creator of that crazy climber bezel?

P.S

I just noticed that u are not utilizing MAME relative pathing for bezels?

With relative pathing u could cut down size of ur bezel collection by factor of 10 if not more. From 5gb to 500mb and more.

All that is required is to delete all duplicate glass /masks etc effects from every game and then put One of each in unified folder, and alter layout in each game to use it in its new location. Voila!

example:

<element name="Background">
    <image file="..\glass_effect.png"/>
  </element>

No idea who created that one, but it's just the bezel from the original arcade bezel.

Like I've said before, I'm not that tech savvy. So even though what you put sounds simple enough, I still wouldn't have a clue how to do that unless you had a tutorial video on it. lol

@Reevesad its quite simple. No tech involved. basic text editing.

Open notepad++ if u dont have one, u should have it.

CTRL+F

then in new window click find in files

find what : <image file="horz_screen_bezel_glass.png" />

replace with : <image file="..\horz_screen_bezel_glass.png" />

tick "follow current doc" and "in all subfolders"

point to root of ur themes

press replace all.

do the same for glass.png

Now copy one of each of files to save location

search and find those files in ur bezels and delete them

done.

ill post video in hour if u cant get it , need some errands to do

• Thanks 1

After browsing throu ur files i noticed its kinda a mess in there.

There is files u dont use in .lays and png's are there. Also u dont need real_clear and real_glass its just duplicate but with glass. Take only real_clear then use glass from root glass.png position it right on one layout, make new view with real_clear+glass,then just copy text info to others

Anyway , it needs a lot of sorting and cleaning.

if u do wanna sort all that, u should check some guides how to use notepad++

here is video i promised, i was a bit lost in video on some moments.. honestly i havent used explorer in .. pfft 20 or more years, not since Total Commander came out lol

Edited by Undertherainbow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Undertherainbow said:

After browsing throu ur files i noticed its kinda a mess in there.

There is files u dont use in .lays and png's are there. Also u dont need real_clear and real_glass its just duplicate but with glass. Take only real_clear then use glass from root glass.png position it right on one layout, make new view with real_clear+glass,then just copy text info to others

Anyway , it needs a lot of sorting and cleaning.

if u do wanna sort all that, u should check some guides how to use notepad++

here is video i promised, i was a bit lost in video on some moments.. honestly i havent used explorer in .. pfft 20 or more years, not since Total Commander came out lol

Hey Thanks for the effort with the video. But I'm like one of those people that watches tutorials (with audio) and has to pause after every single click or sentence. Copy what was said then start again. And often I have to go back a couple of times to make sure. Such a noob.

When I first started this project I did ask if anyone knew of an easier way of doing this. No one responded so I just did it as easy as I could using Derek Moore's lay file and templates as I have mentioned/credited in my upload files.

Yes, this look's cleaner and simpler to use with the added bonus of saving x amount of storage space. But my current situation is as follows. My hard drive decided to die on me roughly just as I had finished sorting Bigbox/Launcbox to look and play the way I intended it to work.  And I was actually looking into making a backup as well, sod's law. So Having left it for about 4 months or so I've only just replaced the Hard drive and upgraded my graphics card. tbh it's taking me this long to sort cos it sort of fucked up my mojo as I knew that I'd have to start all over again from scratch basically. Luckily I did have all the roms (fuck you Nintendo) backed up on an external hard drive. and my bezels all on an Imac and online (phew).

So I really need to start reloading launchbox and getting it setup. But then I did start to play some virtual pinball tables recently (90's replica tables) and am undecided whether to make one (I'm more hands on sort of person, diy building ect) using the pc I have. cos they look and sound so good.

So can I ask, do you like the Bezels? 

and are you looking to use them? and do all the changes that you spoke about with all of them? 

The author is probably in a care home or dead by now.lol

from memory I first played crazy climber back in 1981 at a Butlins school holiday. first time I played a two joystick game. I just looked it up and it's defo from the original bezel. Japanese created.

shame that you aren't doing this to all of the files, you could upload them into the launchbox community.

Do you use/have access to Emumovies? cos I uploaded all those bezels and they gave me a lifetime membership. is it tempting? lol

• 9 months later...