LaunchBox Community Forums

8.2-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

I tried to update ROMs in a few platforms in Launchbox (first time I've used this feature, btw) and it immediately popped up with a dialog saying nothing new was found even though I had added a total of a hundred or so ROMs. Adding the new ROMs with the regular import wizard (or dragging them en masse into the Launchbox window) works fine. What should the ROM update function look like in action? Also, (obviously) any ideas why it's not working for me?

Edited by snarfo67

Alright, beta 2 is out now folks with the following:

- New Feature: The list view in LaunchBox now allows you to hide and show columns by right-clicking on the column headers, and will save your preferences as well as the column order

- Improvement: A new "Show Platform Banner Images" option was added to Big Box to allow you to hide the platform banner images if you don't want them obstructing the view of the background; the setting is available under Options > Images.

- Improvement: A new "Allow Computer to Sleep while not in Attract Mode" option has been added to the Big Box General options for users who want Big Box to allow their computers to sleep

- Fixed: Sorting by title in the LaunchBox list view now correctly sorts by Sort Title

- Fixed: When using the search box in LaunchBox, the scroll position was not reset which was sometimes confusing because it appeared that not all results were shown

- Fixed: The images portion of the Edit Game dialog had some minor positioning issues on higher DPIs

I also fixed the button placement/sizing issues that were showing up for translations in the main window (this was introduced in beta 1). :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, wallmachine said:

getting massive performance decrease and now bigbox hides my taskbar even though hidetaskbar is not checked.

Let me know if you're still seeing this with beta 2. Honestly I'm guessing it was an outside influence or a random fluke since so little changed for the beta 1 release.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

- Improvement: A new "Allow Computer to Sleep while not in Attract Mode" option has been added to the Big Box General options for users who want Big Box to allow their computers to sleep

What about an option to allow sleep mode after a set amount of time while in Attract Mode ? I have seen this asked for, though not often.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, Lordmonkus said:

I believe the "Scan for added roms" tool scans the \Launchbox\Games\"platform name"\ folder by default unless you change it in the "Edit Platform" window for that platform.

I can't that for certain though, I never use it myself.

---and @DOS76 Thanks for that. I'll check it out when I get home. Also, apologies for my eye-melting grammatical error ("them ROMs", since corrected). I blame the Ketel One.

14 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

What about an option to allow sleep mode after a set amount of time while in Attract Mode ? I have seen this asked for, though not often.

This option simply relies on the system timeouts for going to sleep; we don't have any logic or code in there currently for the app putting the system to sleep itself (outside of the system menu). We can come back to that at another time if it's a popular request.

14 hours ago, shinra358 said:

Just a head's up, eatkinola just added the feature of random platform/game videos (also within the theme folder) to his plugin.

I thought that had already been implemented...

Nah, it was playing vids back to back one after the other instead of randomly choosing one and looping that one until platform change for the random selection to happen again. It also had abug where it was playing all vids no matter the platform you were on.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:
15 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

This option simply relies on the system timeouts for going to sleep; we don't have any logic or code in there currently for the app putting the system to sleep itself (outside of the system menu). We can come back to that at another time if it's a popular request.

Without it, you can't use attract mode and have your cabinet sleep. What about an additional option like the one you just created? So, also adding ""Allow Computer to Sleep while in Attract Mode" . Or even better just a single setting that affects both "Allow computer to sleep".

If I had a cabinet, my ideal settings would be for attract mode on and have the computer sleep still based on the system's power settings for sleep. I would actually want this for my HTPC also, but I think it keeps waking up on its own when I don't want it to for some reason, so i can't seem to rely on it sleeping anyway.

Edited by ckp

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:
16 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Fair enough.

17 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Alright, beta 2 is out now folks with the following:

- New Feature: The list view in LaunchBox now allows you to hide and show columns by right-clicking on the column headers, and will save your preferences as well as the column order

Love this!

2 hours ago, ckp said:

Without it, you can't use attract mode and have your cabinet sleep. What about an additional option like the one you just created? So, also adding ""Allow Computer to Sleep while in Attract Mode" . Or even better just a single setting that affects both "Allow computer to sleep".

If I had a cabinet, my ideal settings would be for attract mode on and have the computer sleep still based on the system's power settings for sleep. I would actually want this for my HTPC also, but I think it keeps waking up on its own when I don't want it to for some reason, so i can't seem to rely on it sleeping anyway.

Had that problem before and i think it was my mouse / touchpad randomly waking up the computer so i disabled my mouse from being able to wake up the computer:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15132/stop-your-mouse-from-waking-up-your-windows-7-computer/

1 hour ago, spektor56 said:

so i disabled my mouse from being able to wake up the computer:

for me, i have no mouse or keyboard. i have a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad and i have it powered off altogether unless i need to use it, but then after i'm done using it again i turn it off again

Not sure if this is a bug or an intended change but when I search for something in LB then select it, when I close the search to get the rest of the games to show up again it de-selects the game and jumps back to the top. I generally use it to get back to where I was before in going through the mame roms deciding what to keep and what to delete. It was an easy way of getting back to where I'd previously left off.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, Lordmonkus said:

I believe the "Scan for added roms" tool scans the \Launchbox\Games\"platform name"\ folder by default unless you change it in the "Edit Platform" window for that platform.

I can't that for certain though, I never use it myself.

Yep, that was the issue. I have Launchbox installed on a games SSD and my emulation ROMs and disc images are on an 8tb hard drive. I edited the platform's game paths to the location of their corresponding ROMs, ran the tool, and it worked great (aside from not combining a couple multi-disc games into 1 entry and that might be because I didn't check to see if the 'combine into one' box was checked when I flipped through the wizard).

So, @Jason Carr I guess a suggestion for the future would be to set the default 'platforms games path' to where the platform's ROMs reside. I could see that causing issues for people who have ROMs for the same platform in multiple locations, but those people are freaks and should be disregarded, if not severely beaten :-)