LaunchBox Community Forums

No Filler Mame Rom Set Version 2

Lordmonkus

There is media for this set, Bezel/Fade/Complete Silver Ring Clear Logo Set for all games, Platform Silver Ring, Platform Video, and some other misc art that was missing,.

I may upload these here or i will make a link for where they can be grabbed from.

All Killer V1.png

All Killer V2.png

Edited by MadK9

So just to summarize, when using a non merged mame set you don't need to worry about bios files? clones are separate from parents and include any bios files like the pgm, qsound, neogeo etc within the rom file itself? on PD there is a separate pack that only has the bios files in it so it's no big deal if errors are produced due to them being missing. I wanted to clarify that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work @Lordmonkus, but i miss a lot of great classic games like Tehkan World Cup and Passing Shot, can i suggest add it to your project?, i miss some great soccer games too, I try to remove all cps and Neogeo games from your list, I want it like a different system, Rocketlauncher dont have support to Launchbox Playlist and if you want Bezels and Fades, I think It´s the best way. Thanks

Done this recently with my Mame selection. I personally went with 650 roms including all the games from a good franchise or series, like KoF, Street Fighter, 1945 etc etc. I didn't really concentrate too much on the classic 70s and early 80s games because I didn't think they'd get played. Pac-man, Defender, Robotron and any actual good classics are in there, I'm picky but not a monster.

I trawled through a merged set, manually gathering all the roms I needed for others after I selected the ones I wanted. Even going as far as opening the zips up and adding the bins they needed to run, and re-zipping. 

I spent 2 weeks doing this including testing, gathering bios files, and config for certain roms. 

To find this project going on and realising I should have used a non-merged set, and just how much time I could have saved made me want to cry. But I learnt a hell of a lot about Mame...kinda.  I should have stayed in school.

For what its worth do you want to see the list of titles I went with?

35 minutes ago, normchomsky said:

For what its worth do you want to see the list of titles I went with?

I'd be down to see what you have. I've been building my own list for several years, starting back in the original modded Xbox days and slowly adding or removing favorites or what I consider a basic full collection of any arcade game that I would want to play that isn't complete crap. I'm trying to keep it at a solid 1,000

Here is a 199 update to the NoFiller batch file and the spreadsheet  with the list of games, roms and copy commands. There is now 425 rom files with some 2 player versions for 4 and 6 player games such as TMNT and X-Men, also the 2 and 3 versions of Darius 2.

I updated the first post in this thread with some info and files.

NoFiller v2 - 199.bat

NoFiller v2 - 199.ods

3 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

The first post is an upto date .dat?

No .dat files involved, there is a .bat file that you drop into a folder with all the Mame .199 Non-Merged rom set and run. It will make a new folder and copy all the roms into it so you have a nice clean set of roms.

3 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Will you be working on this in the future?

I may add some games to it in the future.

will all games you have picked work with just normal mame 0.99 and the RetroArch Mame core without using multiple versions?

If you use the .199 Non-Merged rom set, yes.

• Like 1

The idea of this project is to provide people and easy way of having a small selected set of Mame roms. All the end user has to do is download the full set from where ever they wish (PleasureDome), drop the bat file in the folder and run it, they will then have a clean portable set that they can then either add or remove games from as they wish.

My Mame NoFiller set is only 3.6 gigs vs 110 gigs that the full set is.

• Like 1