LaunchBox Community Forums

No Filler Mame Rom Set Version 2

Lordmonkus

So if they are already in a folder in a zip file, you can just share the zip file. What am I missing? If you are trying to automate this so that you have a list and you copy files that match that list into another folder because it will change, then I can write a batch file for that

4 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

So if they are already in a folder in a zip file, you can just share the zip file. What am I missing? If you are trying to automate this so that you have a list and you copy files that match that list into another folder because it will change, then I can write a batch file for that

There will be no sharing of roms on these forums, so i guess he wants a batch file so users can download it and create it themselves.

• Thanks 1

There might be a simpler and better way to do this but this is what I did.

First take this batch file I have attached here and place it in your folder with your roms that you want to generate a list for, the folder must only contain the files you want and nothing more. This batch file will generate a plain text list of every file in the folder which we can then convert to a batch file. When the text list is generated open it up in Notepad++ and scroll to the bottom, you will see 2 lines which contain _DirOut.txt and _romslist.txt, remove these 2 lines because we don't need them.

_DirOut.bat

Next we need to add the copy command and the folder name in front of and behind each rom file name in Notepad++.

Press Control + H to bring up the Find / Replace tool.
Set it to Regular expression at the bottom left and fill in the Find what: entry with ^ and the Replace with: entry with copy, make sure that you put a space after copy otherwise it will not work the way you want. Click Replace All, if done correctly every line of your text file will have a copy in front of the rom file name.

screenshot_133.thumb.jpg.32693e1fc766559ea3d84a22015a2bf7.jpgscreenshot_134.jpg.b4880e53df62706722bb22360b870d6b.jpgNow we need to add  the folder name to where we are going to copy the files to, go back to your Find / Replace tool, change the ^ to a $ in the Find what: entry and in the Replace with: put a space and the name of the folder your games will be copied to, I used folder here as an example but you can use whatever you like, press Replace All again and you should see something like the pic below.

screenshot_137.thumb.jpg.176401a3a3b55c1d2ece3a41c7777175.jpgscreenshot_136.jpg.cd6133609ba619fc3fdd3de45d535c46.jpgWe're not quite done yet though, next we need to go to the very top of the text document and and add atleast 1 blank line though I like to make 2 just for ease of reading.

screenshot_138.jpg.ecb293441f4008a8745c319130ad351e.jpgIn the very first line now type in 

MD folder

You can replace folder with whatever you used in the previous step but it as to match it, this command makes the folder to which the roms themselves will be copied into.

screenshot_139.jpg.d96b113419f00a6bd55fc0fba998eb37.jpgNow we just need to save the text document and then rename the file extension to .bat instead of .txt

screenshot_140.jpg.e5028f3519c29dcf5600b2bffc36498d.jpgscreenshot_141.jpg.6f7bd868ccd2baf2f5ca507b396adbb5.jpgYou can now drop this bat file into a full set of roms and double click it, it will make a folder and copy out all the rom files leaving your full set in tact.

• Thanks 1

Here is a much easier way:

copyroms.bat

1. Either use LordMonkus's batch file to create a list of the files in your folder ("dir /b > mylist.txt") or create a text file in a text editor by just typing each name into the list. In either case, it needs to look like this and be called "mylist.txt":

1942.zip
gtmra.zip
1941u.zip
1943kai.zip
1943u.zip

2. Give them your "mylist.txt" file and this "copyroms.bat" file and have them put them in the same folder with their roms.

3. Have them run "copyroms.bat"

4. They can delete "copyroms.bat", "mylist.txt" and the "mynewroms" folder when they are done moving the files to where they want them.

NOTES:

The list file and the output folder are hard coded! (See below)

If you use the redirect batch file to output the directory to a file, edit that file and make sure there are no other files in the list other than roms. You could probably use "dir *.zip > mylist.txt" so you get only zip files as long as you don't need other file type in there like a bios. Give your people a clean text list with just the files you want them to copy.

If you open the bat file in a text editor and look at the code, you will see variables at the top. The destination folder is called "mynewroms" and the text file I am reading to get your rom file names is "mylist.txt". These are hard coded. You need to make sure your list of rom file names is named to match what the batch file is looking for. You can rename those two items to whatever you want in the top 2 lines of code if you don't like my names. 

I can modify the batch script however you like. It is pretty minimal. It could be written to take command line parameters, for example; "copyroms romslist.txt outputfolder". That way you could specify things at runtime. But simple to me works best. Settle on a file name and a folder name and have the user complete my steps 2 and 3 (and optionally 4) from above and they are done.

Edited by FlightRisk
  • Like 1

I've been trying to learn AutoHotKey and wanted to see if I could make a ‘copy updates’ script.  It started out “just because”, then became kinda fun, then ‘what have I gotten myself into’, and finally ‘oh SNAP! It works.’

My initial intent was to update the working roms folder (where only the games actually played are stored) after doing a monthly update using ClrMamePro and an Update Pack to the complete MAME romset.  Here’s how it goes (or at least is supposed to).795575604_mainscr.jpg.0de15520fcebfd2e5402d47262f66af3.jpg

After pointing to the respective folders, “Update” will compare the files in both folders.  Files will then be copied only if they exist in the Destination folder AND if they have different time stamps or different file sizes.  Copied files to the Destination folder will overwrite the existing same name.ext ones.

Example:
Source folder has 36,000 files of which 56 were added/changed from an update pack.
Destination folder has 2600 files of which 11 have the same name.ext as ones in the 56.
“Update” will only copy those 11 files from the Source folder.

After updating (copying), a log file is created and you’ll be ask if you want to view the file.  The file (RomCopyLog.txt) is saved in the same folder you ran the program/script from.

For this I used the robocopy [DOS] command. “In Windows XP, Robocopy was only available via the Resource Kit but is a standard/built in command since Windows 7.”

I saw that people were wanting the share the list of roms they use in their active (working) folder with friends.

1814124631_mylisttab.jpg.86e62e9761a476ecff0b1409b8feb971.jpgHere, simply point to your roms folder and click “Create mylist.txt”. If the box is checked it will open the created file when it’s done.  Here again, the file (mylist.txt) will be saved in the same folder you ran the program/script from.  The output lists all files (*.*) in the folder but no directories/subdirectories.  I originally had it only look for zip (*.zip) files but wasn’t sure if some convert theirs to 7z. 829639602_filelist.jpg.aceae4158d46a1003f154cbbd531fc19.jpg

If friends then wanted to create a matching working-folder from their own complete romset...1537258504_updtfromsmylist.jpg.02f712526bc3f5df9fc7942720b05873.jpgPoint to the respective folders and click “Update from text file”.  The text file can be any name (i.e. Joe’sList.txt) as long as it’s formatted as shown above.  Which is basically comes from:

dir "SourceFolder\*.*"  /A:-D /b > "mylist.txt”

This will copy AND overwrite (without confirmation) files from the complete romset folder to the Arcade folder (in this example) that match the names in the specified text file.

I’ll attach a zip file that has the .ahk file and the compiled .exe file if anyone’s interested.  If you decide to check it out and run the exe file, Windows might ask ‘Are you sure???’  I think it does that on 1st time running compiled scripts.  It’s straight from the ahk file and is clean.  So no problems.  Or you can just review and run the ahk script.

As I said, I did this just to see if I could.  And it was actually kind of fun. If anyone has any thoughts, views, opinions, suggestions… Good, bad or indifferent, I'm more than open to them.

Update MAME Folders.zip

Edited by JoeViking245

• 5 months later...

Hello,

First I'd like to thank all people working on this topic. Sorting out mame ROM has always been something painful!

Second, i'm trying to rectify the ROM folder of my groovymame setup and going to the latest 212 non merged seemed the easier option.

I dunno if the list was updated but I'll give a go on the set anyway.

Can any guru confirm:

- getting the latest mame 0.212

- replacing the mame with groovymame exe

- Putting the latest bat and list (found Here   ) in the non merged ROM folder

- run the bat and point the mame ROM folder to the output folder of the bat

Seems OK?

Sorry for being a noob on that, I'm more a pinball guy ATM ;)

Edited by BENETNATH
Linking the latest list

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot for this list. This is some amazing work and I'm really looking forward to use it. I would like to keep my Mame fullset but add your no filler all killer game list as a playlist. Is there a way that I could do this without doing this manually? Thanks for anyone who could give me a hand on this ?

Yeah, that is one of the reasons I did it using the Non Merged set, 1 file = 1 game. I also didn't want to go through all the extra work of figuring out individual game required files especially when certain US region roms would require the Japanese region as a parent as well.

If you got the Split there is the older No Filler batch files made for the 182 rom set but should work fine since file names have not changed as far as I am aware of.