LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Now Available

Jason Carr

LaunchBox.Next is now available in the latest beta release. It's a complete overhaul for the main LaunchBox interface:

image.thumb.png.7bab017a1ac28b56c5c039d0f0a4e2b6.pngLaunchBox.Next is:

• Free for all users
  • Much smoother and faster than the previous interface
  • Based on the work we did for the Music Box Alpha UI
  • Available in addition to the existing LaunchBox interface (you can switch back and forth between them at will)

Why did we decide to build this? THIS WASN'T ON THE POLL!

• We've had numerous requests to modernize the LaunchBox interface ever since Music Box Alpha came out and showed a more modern interface
  • The new interface will help significantly in implementing a number of items on the poll (it's much more convenient to develop for)
  • It resolves a number of long-running performance issues and bugs that were very difficult to fix with Windows Forms (the tech used in the previous LaunchBox interface)
  • It opens LaunchBox up to be just as attractive and flashy as Big Box (for the future - background videos anyone?)

What features are planned for LaunchBox.Next?

• LaunchBox.Next will be getting every single feature that is currently in the regular LaunchBox interface, though much of it is still in development
  • All popup dialogs will remain the same as the regular LaunchBox interface (at least at first), so nothing will need to be re-learned

Will LaunchBox.Next be replacing the current LaunchBox interface?

• Eventually, yes. However, until every single feature in the regular interface has been implemented in LaunchBox.Next, both versions will be available side-by-side.
  • We will divide our development time between LaunchBox.Next and developing items from the poll until LaunchBox.Next is fully implemented

Thanks all; please let us know your thoughts below. To download the latest beta, open up LaunchBox and go to Tools > Options > General > Updates, and check the box to Update to Beta Releases. Once you restart LaunchBox, you should be prompted to update, or the update will be downloaded in the background if you have that option enabled.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Just now, snarfo67 said:

It looks much cleaner and it's snappier--- but are the menus disabled in this first build? I click the menu button to look at preferences and stuff and nothing happens. I don't see any button to switch back to the old version.

Yes, menus have yet to be implemented.

Ohh boy! this is amazing! the interface is tons much faster and also more enhanced, excellent combination between performance and style, the only thing is the image size I like the organization in the previous launchbox maintaining the name on the same file for all the elements, for image with differents sizes, like in the image, We really appreciate the @Jason Carr work

Captura.PNG

• Like 2

Cool Stuff! I like it a lot! I like the fade transition of the background, does it use the same cache? Also, nice touch adding the developer below the name, Can you add release year too? something like "1985 · Nintendo" I'd be cool if that could be fully customized but it's too early for demands anyway. :)

50 minutes ago, Drodrick said:

Ohh boy! this is amazing! the interface is tons much faster and also more enhanced, excellent combination between performance and style, the only thing is the image size I like the organization in the previous launchbox maintaining the name on the same file for all the elements, for image with differents sizes, like in the image, We really appreciate the @Jason Carr work

Captura.PNG

I agree.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suhrvivor said:

Cool Stuff! I like it a lot! I like the fade transition of the background, does it use the same cache? Also, nice touch adding the developer below the name, Can you add release year too? something like "1985 · Nintendo" I'd be cool if that could be fully customized but it's too early for demands anyway. :)

I agree.

Once we get the Arrange By functionality implemented, this secondary line will change based on what field you're arranging by.

Thanks all. Good to hear. :)

I dig it! It's really snappy and looks nice. LB has always been fine too, but this does feel even smoother, so that's a definite plus.

Some initial thoughts:

I think the auto-colored boxes are pretty neat, but I hope there's an option to turn this off later on.

I hope there's going to be a way to turn off the developer names under the titles. I would definitely want that off. I'm assuming this is mostly just a holdover from MusicBox though.

Double-clicking doesn't start the game currently, which left me scratching my head for a second haha

Will there be any differences in the details bar once implemented?