LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Now Available

Jason Carr

Could a better search option be implemented also?

Like, when searching for "Sonic", look only for games with that name in there and not give results from games published by Panasonic. Or have settings to look for the exact match so when i search for, say, DOOM ports it wont give me dozens of results of games with "of Doom" in the title. The search box as is right now is pretty barebones, you write something and it looks everything that contains this word, including publishers names. It isn't very useful.

A good search box can be a very useful tool when you manage full libraries of many systems. Like searching for every port of a particular title for instance. This is inconvenient now when you get many unrelated results.

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1

yeah well searching by typing would negate the ability to press a letter and jump to that part of the list which I waited for years to finally make it in to the app so that is definitely not something needed. You want more advance search I get that but its not going to be at the expense of the features I find useful.

well if I press s and it jumps me to S and then I press e and it takes me to se and not E then it is sort of negating it as it no longer functions how I want it to. I guess what it really comes down to is there isn't really anything wrong with search and although a few users may have the opinion that there is. I'd be interested to see if it isn't just a few people who don't think search is good enough. I know to test what was reported a couple post up I typed in Sonic in the Nintendo DS section it returned 14 results 8 of which were Sonic games and 6 of which had the word Sonic inside of the metadata somewhere, which to me are expected and acceptable results. If some users wanted to search for say games developed by Sonic team those results would be listed I think people sometime only see how they want to use something and not how others may use it. some users may find getting results for publishers and other data in a search helpful although some may not or some may be like me who if I'm searching for Sonic games and get 6 results that aren't sonic games doesn't really bother me as I have a lot bigger problems in life than what a search box returns but I guess that is just me.

DOS76, An improved search feature doesn't matter have to conflict with the pressing a key feature at all...I like doing that too, I'm glad it was added, especially since I have so many games, but I'm not sure why has to be mutually one way or the other....a 2sec delay like wirtual82 suggested would work fine OR even having to click a new icon on top before topping to enable a better effective search (as mentioned before) would be ideal...

Why even post this, ""if I'm searching for Sonic games and get 6 results that aren't sonic games doesn't really bother me as I have a lot bigger problems in life than what a search box returns but I guess that is just me." - Yeah so do I....I can barely pay my bills sometimes, but I'd like to have a nicer search too because at least something would work right! :-)

• Like 1

I don't get it. What do problems in real life have to do with improving a program?

Anyway, it could be just an advanced option. It doesn't have to be forced. Have some type or result filter options in order to be easier to find a group of games that you are interested and minimize unrelated results. For instance, an option to only look for game title and ignore other metadata results. This way Sonic games will come up without unrelated games published by Panasonic. Or look for Sonic games only released by Sega and that would narrow it down even further by removing games with titles such as "Supersonic speed Racing" or stuff like that.

It can't be perfect but the more filters you add should narrow down the results even further.

Edited by Imgema

My point was kinda that this is nitpicky to me but I didn't just want to call it that I was trying to be more diplomatic. I already explained that while you personally may not want to see those results they may be exactly what others are looking for because they may not be trying to search for game titles but other things.  I really doubt that this is important to a majority of users but at the same time that is a guess and I have no way of quantifying it. If the game you are looking for is in the results even though some stuff you aren't looking for is search really "not very useful". Anyway whatever maybe it will be "improved" to your standards but I think it works fine personally.

11 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

If this idea ends up in the table, it would really need to be thought very thoroughly. I am with DOS76 on this, as when I search stuff its not only games, and I think trimming the results to only be game names hinders the potential of the search feature.

Nobody is saying force only game title results (at least I wasn't), but giving the option to have the results be a TITLE search only...well, seems completely logical to me to have the OPTION. I'm frankly surprised not many care...I just always assumed it was an obvious bug being worked out eventually.

Just to clear things up, i didn't suggest anything mandatory to use.

If you don't want to use such options you can just not use them.

What i'm suggesting is OPTIONS/filters to better narrow down results depending on what you need. This may not be useful when you only have a small collection of games but for someone who has a 10.000+ collection or more (like i have seen some people having around here) some extra filtering options (that you don't have to use if you don't want) would make things more convenient.

But it's just options for those who want to use them. I'm trying to be as clear as possible, English is not my first language.

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wirtual82 said:

BTW, a partial match also doesn't work while searching. I wanted to delete some games that contained some words in the title. Must use other tools. Easy to do. However, importing games seems to be not working for me. I drag and drop some shortcuts but finally, I get some error and 0 games imported.

Drag and drop is not hooked up in Next yet, its still a work in progress.

1 minute ago, wirtual82 said:

I am using a regular version now. So maybe that's why it's not working anymore.

Drag and drop works just fine in the normal Launchbox, what is the error you are getting? Also usually when you get the 0 games imported its either because they are already imported, or because you didn't set a platform for the games you are importing.

• 3 months later...

Weird, With the new version of .Next, any DOS game I edit no longer loads.  Nothing at all, doesn't even start DOSBox.  ?

Ahh, no, it's a mounting problem. If I add a mounted image, it no longer launches DOSBox.

Looks like only CD-ROM mounts do it. Not floppy.

Okay, it was because of mounting an image with an ' in the file name.  No error saying why it wasn't loading DOSBox. I renamed the image without the '.  From Dragon's Lair to Dragons Lair and it now works.

But LaunchBox gives no error about it, and I believe it used to.

Edited by Ranthalion75
Problem Solved.

(I hope I'm not repeating anything, couldn't find anything about this so far.)

LNext looks good and seems to work somewhat faster, the only thing that bothers me so much I would refrain for getting the next LB update that will make LNext mandatory is the new frame style in which the box art is embedded.

I prefer the old style, with just a gallery of just the original authentic box art covers like in a game museum, very much. The frame is kinda altering this "feel" in a way I don't like.

It should be easy to just include an option to return to classical "frame-less" display. But I didn't find anything yet. Did I just overlook something? Or will this be implemented in the next update of Launchbox?

Just now, nietzsche666 said:

(I hope I'm not repeating anything, couldn't find anything about this so far.)

LNext looks good and seems to work somewhat faster, the only thing that bothers me so much I would refrain for getting the next LB update that will make LNext mandatory is the new frame style in which the box art is embedded.

I prefer the old style, with just a gallery of just the original authentic box art covers like in a game museum, very much. The frame is kinda altering this "feel" in a way I don't like.

It should be easy to just include an option to return to classical "frame-less" display. But I didn't find anything yet. Did I just overlook something? Or will this be implemented in the next update of Launchbox?

By frame do you mean the dark shadow type image behind the box art? If so that can be disabled in the options.

• Like 1