LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Feature Request

torben656

Looks like in this case I may just see if making 3DNES for my NES Games will work well with it through LaunchBox too. If so then I probably need to figure out just how I will able to switch between a 2D style with FCEUX and 3D style with 3DNES at ease

1 minute ago, RULLUR said:

Looks like in this case I may just see if making 3DNES for my NES Games will work well with it through LaunchBox too. If so then I probably need to figure out just how I will able to switch between a 2D style with FCEUX and 3D style with 3DNES at ease

3D NES does work as any emulator does. Just right click a individual game, go to edit, then the emulation tab and use the dropdown to pick a different emulator, in your case 3DNES. You can also do this in bulk by holding ctrl and clicking on all the games you want to change, then right click one, edit to open the bulk edit wizard, click next then in the first dropdown choose emulator, and in the second the emulator you want to use for those games.

• Like 1

Okay so switching back to zSNES was a success..but seems I need a command line to exit with Esc instead of bringing up the Menu.

3DNES just sent me to the Emulator with no game which seems I need a command line for that one as well for both loading a title and another to exit with Esc.

Seems I fixed the Exit for zSNES. Just copied this over from 4DO and renamed it zSNES in its place. Just might work with everything else that doesn't close out with Esc.

Just still need to figure a way to launch a Game Title in 3DNES through LaunchBox without it just taking me to the Emulator itself now

image.png

6 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Seems I fixed the Exit for zSNES. Just copied this over from 4DO and renamed it zSNES in its place. Just might work with everything else that doesn't close out with Esc.

Just still need to figure a way to launch a Game Title in 3DNES through LaunchBox without it just taking me to the Emulator itself now

Just an FYI, but the text behind the ; is just informational. You do not need to change it or have it all. You can just copy and paste everything from the $Esc:: and down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RULLUR said:

Thanks for the tip on that. Any ideas on what I can do about making games launch correctly to 3DNES instead of it just taking me to the Emulator without a game loaded up?

According to this: https://itch.io/t/33723/command-line-parameters, you'll need to add --r= to the Default Command Line Parameters of the emulator in LaunchBox. I don't have the emulator so I haven't tested it, but it should work :)

If you have more emulators you need help with, you can consider opening your own thread in the beginners part of the forum :)

Edited by proghodet

All it did was load blank again without the Pop-up Menu. The link seems to have it made out to individual ROMs which I'm unsure how it can be made out to whichever one that gets clicked on instead. This command seems like with something cleverly added after --r= other than an individual ROM that it may work in full. The thing is..what could the rest of it be needed to make it work all the way for any that gets clicked on?

Same result as before..but I left them a comment over there in hopes they can bridge the gap on getting this to work as we hope it can.

I have the PC version they did before they decided to go all VR. I think around that time it was one of those "Name Your Price" Downloads and still might be available as just that too.

couple of things I didn't see anyone mention 1st off ZSNES is terrible old and inaccurate compared to the options available in RetroArch and 2nd LB has the ability to add emulators that aren't set as your default emulator but can be accessed through the Launch With menu when you right click a game.

8 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Hopefully this is the proper thread about requesting features for LaunchBox.Next. If so then I'm sure you already know I was hoping for an easier way to select random games instead of going to "Tools" and selecting from there each time.

One of my latest requests would be to use other Emulators through it that aren't just RetroArch and a few others that kinda have been overlooked or forgotten such as zSNES for Super Nintendo or the 3DNES for NES. My Fiancee and I have come to find such fun in 3DNES due to how it makes everything that was 2D Pixels into 3D pixelated objects, but the GUI in it takes almost forever just to go from one game to the next. I was hoping maybe there was a way that LaunchBox could easily get you right into the game title of choosing in one click instead of a few and waiting in between them after searching and all. 

Actually it isn't, if you want to make a feature request you should click Help & Support at the top of the site and then Request a Feature. Please fill it out with as much detail as possible describing what it is exactly you are requesting. Also before sure to check for other people requesting the same or very similar thing and if there is please post in that feature request and vote for that one. Doing that helps keep things much more organized and it is much easier for Jason to see features being asked for by multiple people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Actually it isn't, if you want to make a feature request you should click Help & Support at the top of the site and then Request a Feature. Please fill it out with as much detail as possible describing what it is exactly you are requesting. Also before sure to check for other people requesting the same or very similar thing and if there is please post in that feature request and vote for that one. Doing that helps keep things much more organized and it is much easier for Jason to see features being asked for by multiple people.

I thought the ability to use any emulator you want was already in. ;) 

• Haha 1

Due to my personal schedule and all I'm not always on top of what can be done with LaunchBox and all of its features. I understand it can get somewhat annoying when maybe the same questions are asked in places it may not belong too as a Moderator and all, but I would appreciate the tone of reply to be more chill as much of us are just learning and may casually come in with no coding knowledge or anything, and all they know is something doesn't sit well with them and wanna know how to improve the experience without receiving somewhat of a jab at them for asking a question that may have been answered over thousands of times in various places within the forums and all that. I want to help improve not only my experience with LaunchBox but also let Jason know the best way I can with the least hassle as possible and even help others on things too as we are part of the LaunchBox community as a whole. 

Even though I may not be on top of things due to my constant schedule I tend to play things that are still somewhat experimental and seems hardly many will even know about it or even played it such as 3DNES. I basically come in and see if any of that can be worked in and go about my life and then come back to see if some solution was found about it so I can game better through LaunchBox with it. I'm not here to mess around and tie things up with the process, so I'd appreciate more help than hassle if anything. I know now pretty much any .exe can be done through LaunchBox, but is it necessary to browbeat it several times? The one thing left I'm trying to figure out now is a proper command line to launch any ROM for 3DNES and nothing further added to that would be greatly appreciated as I have no time for anything else but the answers I seek

I downloaded the pc-version of 3DNes. In my version there was a document, "manual.doc". Section 10 in this is Command line parameters, which tells me which option to use.
image.thumb.png.d9004f36a1caaaaf7d941e838609a564.pngI tried running the program from the command line, as such:

image.png.2d89c340926e5516a3083a16f75f8131.pngIf you're not used to the command line, I'll explain what is going on.

• 3DNES_WIN_V1.4.0> Is the folder I'm in.
  • 3DNes.exe is the program I am running from within that folder.
  • --r= is an option, which says "i want to run this rom"
  • "smb.nes" is the rom, which is inside the same folder - if it were outside that folder, I would have to have the whole filepath.

If this works, the same should work through LaunchBox.
image.thumb.png.3991038dba38c510dfb0f65c1747d594.pngI needed to tick the "No space before ROM" for it to work - I believe this made all the difference. But now it works.
Feel free to ask if you have more questions, although, this should probably have had it's own thread, so it could be easier found for others at a later time :)

• Like 1

I knew how the Command Lines work, it was just trying to figure which command would be proper in making everything run like it should. I agree 3DNES should get its own thread since we have kinda went from requesting a feature to if zSNES and 3DNES will work to now just how can we get everything from 3DNES to work with the right Command Line for it all. Looks like yet again I overlooked something which was the manual..but thanks for bringing light to it. I'm sure my Fiancee will be more thankful than I about it. Kinda a shame not many know of 3DNES though since I don't see it talked about with a huge community behind it though.

image.thumb.png.5ffdf57184c51a514d7f713f004ba151.pngSo after checking "No space before ROM" I'm now being lead to a blank grey screen. Not sure if it's because it's still trying to load up the huge list of ROMs or something else. I did update my 3DNES as well which supports both VR and PC versions to see how that goes and all I see difference is it handles more games than before. It still takes almost forever to go about its own menu if you send it to a directory with a ton of ROMs in it.

42 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

So after checking "No space before ROM" I'm now being lead to a blank grey screen. Not sure if it's because it's still trying to load up the huge list of ROMs or something else. I did update my 3DNES as well which supports both VR and PC versions to see how that goes and all I see difference is it handles more games than before. It still takes almost forever to go about its own menu if you send it to a directory with a ton of ROMs in it.

My understanding is that this is for opening just one single rom at time - not a whole directory :) (And most emulators are)

• setup the emulator (as you already have done)
  • Import any NES games into LaunchBox (as you already may have done)
  • Right-click an NES game inside LaunchBox, and choose Launch With -> 3DNes, that is if you have other emulators set up for NES.
    • If not, and 3DNes is your default NES emu, you can just double click any NES-game within LaunchBox, and it will start 3DNes with that game.

Edit: Just to be sure, in the Associated Platforms tab of the emulator, have you added "Nintendo Entertainment System" ?

Edited by proghodet

Yeah..like if I do --r=SMB.nes it's basically gonna take you to Super Mario Bros (if your .nes is labeled that way) only no matter what other NES game you try run it from when you do that. I'm trying to figure out if maybe it's due to my ROMs are set within a FCEUX's ROM Directory when I guess it needs to be routed for 3DNES somehow?

I created a new tread so we can talk more about 3DNES there at: 

Edited by RULLUR

21 minutes ago, proghodet said:

@neil9000 Could you move the relevant parts of the 3DNes emulator discussion to a [edit: the] new post in the troubleshooting section? :)

Unfortunately i dont have the tools to move actual posts, just delete, hide or edit them. Your best bet would be to copy paste the parts you want moved and paste them into the other thread.