LaunchBox Community Forums

Jace's Megacade

jaceroni

Hey there. I'm new to the forum. Thought I'd share my custom arcade cabinet artwork and build that I'm expecting to complete this summer.

I started the project with a custom control deck design and build for 2 players.

ks1j14-koY2exJyRA_bhSx6YDAG-ECQRWx_rW5Jv

4VGLgdpnuPDS_CQUCZftRWNgSY1OO1QS07XXPv4X

rGZg72EEML1FJq2DBuO_AEyTJyOsvVo-qok2BCPK 

wG13mgD0kVkOgJ7-nWwNESuVmE2ssjjR70rYdZQd

liID6851UJVWts7Cq3kYiyW08ST1W1t2-krOCQp7

The sideart is a custom collage of classic characters chasing my cats (Jackson & Opie) up Kong's scaffolding.

iGzh2qvnJX2kPRvO8eIbbbt1YTQyyA852FPRJJ07

Jc4PbRJWJ7Yxhmt3WuMJOhCipc6dVbAGvuO_9kgH

QK-Lbitc3acPE7OKb7WhCU7lUlT_34DHUy1Dg18X

jz8YSU5HQV4FeEoP4NrOv62KJwQFUGe8CHr4eOxy

The coin door art is a collage of my personal favorite games, good versus evil.

GWRc7xgflvri4i_gctB1g_aUwqc0qkhwPkTf3ZsJ

fnN7B3-iao5jzrMztFSs53wV_pPv-f7xVLqahmWl

I'm still working on the bezel and a few more additions before I stick a fork in it. The latest addition was the custom marquee, which reads 'MEGACADE.'

BGquIl7Q7g3FRRibIWuDpBdF89nF8FtQSuy2Tp5i

Here are some screenshots of the BigBox theme I'm putting together. Big thanks to @SNAK3ATER and his RetrAO Cafe theme for guidance and inspiration.

The startup video animation was created in After Effects. You can view the full version on Youtube. I've also created one with the BigBox logo for the community to use and share. You can download it here.

m-jupJSOaERe6UdCtTi5Bm2y2Nalgre7M2332RLz

HJqcXoZdHuvVuiuWDWKYOX_9iwZ8VKZPrx8jqOhm

XavAviTASisAq3CnrWI1CuIG3HGV2nKtfsxh285o

The loading fade screen is triggered by RocketLauncher, and has the Megacade 'M' fill up with gold as the rom is extracted.

BVcuZKmSqstdqQ7GdH9Fddf8wGZLP7oTdzTpCgCR

Thanks for taking a look.

I'll continue to add more progress photos as they come along.

:cheers:

Edited by jaceroni
Added some more screenshots.
  • Like 2

Hope to see more of the ride along the way, i'm in the proces of building my mancave/gameroom I'll post some photos soon as well. Im not that handy in making a cabinet so I took the alternative way with a second screen as a marquee above the main screen, tommorow the 21:9 display will finally arrive, will you add a dynamic marquee screen as well in your cabinet?

32 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Hope to see more of the ride along the way, i'm in the proces of building my mancave/gameroom I'll post some photos soon as well. Im not that handy in making a cabinet so I took the alternative way with a second screen as a marquee above the main screen, tommorow the 21:9 display will finally arrive, will you add a dynamic marquee screen as well in your cabinet?

I've just got the standard, static marquee for now, but I too have thought about a dynamic marquee screen.

Would you mind sharing your screen builder resource with me? I'd love to have a digital marquee that changes the artwork based on the game.

Thanks for the inspiration!

42 minutes ago, jaceroni said:

I've just got the standard, static marquee for now, but I too have thought about a dynamic marquee screen.

Would you mind sharing your screen builder resource with me? I'd love to have a digital marquee that changes the artwork based on the game.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Yeah we should all get a dynamic marquee! Those beautiful high res marquee files are screaming to get up on a nice second display haha ;) I've read quite a few posts on the internet where people buy insanely expansive stretched lcd bar displays, some people have the money to do so but for 600 euro I rather buy a faster pc and such lol. So I go the cheaper route, I chose the LG 25MU58-p, it's around 169 euro over here, there are even larger variants than 25 or 29 inch from LG: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor (search for 21:9 or ultra wide display for alternatives) Some people even manage to adjust their cabs build and hide the screen parts of an affordable 16:9 monitor (also a consideration if your pc-unit can't handle 21:9 or wider resolutions). You can also adjust the code in marquee view files in a big box theme to line out and scale the image to custom tune your screen and build, I still have to fiddle with those files once I've got everything set up. I'm a bit nervous for tommorow as my game pc hasn't got a second hdmi out so I'll have to go the vga to hdmi converter route and scale the max res (hopefully 1920 with a bit of gpu fiddling) image up which can hopefully be done within the screen's settings. In the future i'll be able to attach it to a more compatible modern build. Luxury problems lol.

9 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Friggin awesome dude! Oh the fun that will be had with this! Congrats on a job well done :) Are you an artist btw? I bet you can make amazing marquees as well :D

Thanks so much, @Mr. RetroLust!

Yes, I'm an artist/designer by trade and profession. For the past 4 years, this cabinet has been my escape from 'clients from hellxD throwing hands at it whenever I had some time.

• Like 1

It absolutely shows! Love the details of all the characters. I know all to well about clients from hell ;) I hope you want to make art for the community as well in the future, especially for marquees there are a lot of marquees in desperate need of a professional artist, as a custom replacement or restoration. Working on a new complete Neo Geo marquee collection myself, though I'm not an illustrator.

1 hour ago, FlightRisk said:

Stunningly beautiful. I love the sketch art too before you colored it. Any chance you would share the blueprints of the cabinet and control board? I am trying to figure out how I want to design both to have them fit together.

Thanks, @FlightRisk!

I have my crude vector drawings for the control deck that I wouldn't mind sharing. Everything is 1:1 so you can print out the drawings and use them as overlays to help with cut and print precision, as I did.

I modified a Rec Room Masters prefabbed cabinet, so I don't have drawings for that. I removed the keyboard section and replaced it with a black verticle swing door to store stuff and to unlatch the control deck.

megacade-controls-01-drill-template.ai

megacade-controls-02-base-template.ai

megacade-controls-03-art-overlay.ai

Edited by jaceroni

26 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

It was on the poll and received very few votes it was below the cutoff so won't be getting added this round

Ah, man...that's unfortunate.

I definitely understand it not being a priority. I just think it would up the fun factor when browsing mammoth game lists.

Cheers for considering it!

39 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

The build is good the artwork is amazing you must be so proud of your achievements, to be able to look at that and say I did that is a good feeling I'm sure. Well done it's awesome :) 

Thanks so much, @Rince1981.

I definitely love how it turned out. I design for a living, so it was a wonderful change of pace and stress to dictate everything from concept to completion with no middlemen or committee to please haha.

Looking forward to sharing the rest as it comes along.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...