Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Dane

SEGA Saturn stuck on system settings menu in Mednafen

Recommended Posts

My SEGA Saturn was working just dandy in Mednafen. Then all of a sudden something happened, like a gremlin crawled in there and got all up in its' shit.

When I launch a Saturn title from LaunchBox or BigBox Mednafen starts up the Saturn first showing the startup screen then goes into settings where you set the date and time. It never used to do that and although I try entering the settings it never progresses further than that into the game.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? I have tried searching for information but did not come across any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is usually a bad disk image, Mednafen is picky over the disk images used in comparison to SSF and Yabause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JaceRaster said:

Have you had any luck into finding a solution? I started running into this problem as well

I have not looked into this any further as I got sidetracked with other stuff but will definitely try again and when I do I will post here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using cdmage to fix your game isos and see if that works. Shining Force 3 was giving me same grief but I used cdmage to fix it and it ran perfectly afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shinryu said:

Try using cdmage to fix your game isos and see if that works. Shining Force 3 was giving me same grief but I used cdmage to fix it and it ran perfectly afterwards.

All my Saturn games are .cue, will that make a difference? They have the corresponding .bin file with each .cue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dane said:

All my Saturn games are .cue, will that make a difference? They have the corresponding .bin file with each .cue.

In that case, select the bin file to fix with cdmage. The cue file shouldn't have any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shinryu said:

In that case, select the bin file to fix with cdmage. The cue file shouldn't have any problems.

Done, no errors reported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dane said:

Done, no errors reported.

are you using beetle saturn retroarch core?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shinryu said:

are you using beetle saturn retroarch core?

Directly from Mednafen, where it worked previously. I just tried it in Retroarch with the Yabause core and it did not work. I downloaded the Beetle_Saturn core but it does not appear in the core folder. There is a mednafen_saturn_libretro.dll in there but that one does not work. Out of there Retroarch ones Yabause is the only one that launches them, but into a black screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dane said:

Directly from Mednafen, where it worked previously. I just tried it in Retroarch with the Yabause core and it did not work. I downloaded the Beetle_Saturn core but it does not appear in the core folder. There is a mednafen_saturn_libretro.dll in there but that one does not work. Out of there Retroarch ones Yabause is the only one that launches them, but into a black screen.

Beetle and mednafen are the same thing in retroarch, just different name. Do you have the saturn bios files in retroarch system folder? I could never get Yabause to work but the mednafen retroarch core works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shinryu said:

Beetle and mednafen are the same thing in retroarch, just different name. Do you have the saturn bios files in retroarch system folder? I could never get Yabause to work but the mednafen retroarch core works for me.

I am missing the following:image.thumb.png.6cec323cdc2475fe75709ac7a86bc3dd.pngI am not asking where to get the BIOS files as that is naughty. Though, from what I do have below have I got them but they are just named incorrectly because I am unable to locate the files needed going by what Retroarch calls them:image.thumb.png.d92c5aaedf04f5b4c928aacb4761a5ae.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay the 2 ROM carts aren't that important its the US bios that is missing so you can't play any US or European games without that if you have any Japanese games those should work. You can always try renaming and if you have the correct file it should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually it looks like you do have them but you need to rename the US saturn BIOS file to mpr-17933.bin. try that and see if it works.

Edited by Shinryu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mednafen uses the same bios for US and Europe (wanted to add that so you aren't looking for a file you  don't need)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Okay the 2 ROM carts aren't that important its the US bios that is missing so you can't play any US or European games without that if you have any Japanese games those should work. You can always try renaming and if you have the correct file it should be fine.

This is the right Command-Like right?: -L "cores\beetle_saturn_libretro.dlll"

Edited by Dane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dane said:

This is the right Command-Like right?:-L "cores\beetle_saturn_libretro.dlll"

2 L's in dll, not 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shinryu said:

2 L's in dll, not 3

Okay, so -L "cores\beetle_saturn_libretro.dll" and both BIOS say they are present and still no go. I am at a loss but will keep trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BINGO! I had to change the core name to mednafen_saturn_libretro. After that along with the BIOS files being present they all work. Thank you very much for your help gentlemen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...