LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 8.2 Released - Change Log

Lordmonkus

23 minutes ago, Xpendable said:

I confirmed that GeForce Experience is not installed.  I did write a watchdog program last night and it is running BigBox now and will log to both the console window and to a file each time BigBox exits and it will restart it if it does.  Hmm, I just realized I should probably have also logged the exit code if any, but that may not show anything, depending on how the application is written.  I will admit that my watcher won't know the difference between manually exiting the program versus a crash.  i do have BigBox set to locked with a pin and only I know the pin, so I know my girls aren't pressing anything to exit BigBox as far as I know.  Anyway, it ran overnight for just over 17+ hours without any exits.  

I also did check the Windows event viewer logs last night and have nothing at all from BigBox/LaunchBox.  I noticed the Logs directory for LaunchBox is empty.  I just changed the DebugLog setting in settings.xml to true to see if it creates any output.  Yes, it does, but interesting enough, the log does not appear to record anything about what games are selected and launched or anything else other than starting/stopping/resuming music.  I also had an error at the top about missing xaudio8_2.dll or something.  That maybe explains why I never heard any background music...

That could also explain the phantom exits. Try installing DirectX 9.0c on the box to see if that goes away. The LaunchBox installer should be installing it though any time there's an update.

Actually I just decided to rename my LaunchBox directory to LaunchBox-Backup and I downloaded and installed a fresh copy.  I fired it up without any games and did not see the error about xaudio.  I'm in the process of copying the data from the backup directory to the new directory and will test again.  It's taking a long time to copy that data... I was unaware that I had acquired 33GB of "stuff", lol.  The one big difference with this fresh install versus the old install is the fresh install was done while I was still running BitDefender.  I had some problems with BitDefender in the past where it quietly quarantined stuff as false positives without asking me.  I was able to undo most of that stuff but it's possible I missed something or it crapped something when the updates were being processed.  Hence the desire to do a fresh install of LaunchBox and see if that fixes the issues.  

So my new install of LaunchBox seems to have fixed the xaudio error that was reported in the log.  I also think BigBox is loading faster than it did before.  Load time was around 23 seconds.  It also seems more responsive than it was prior to the reinstall.  I used to get massive lag in the user interface after BigBox launched that wouldn't go away for at least a minute or two.

That said, I am still getting audio problems in heavier games like Mortal Kombat 3...  Sound samples will repeat and there is some static and popping.  I do not get this at all when Hyperspin launches MK3, and it's actually using the SAME installation of MAME.

Okay, I think I fixed my audio issue in MK3.  I messed with the frame skip feature (F8/F9) in MAME.  It was set to auto-skip, but I tried setting it to 4/10 and this seems to have resolved the audio issue.   Now the only thing I need to keep an eye on is the mysterious exits of BigBox.

Did an upgrade on my arcade machine last night. Changed out the GeForce 9500GT I had in there for a 970GTX I had lying around. Had to swap power supplies too in order to get the 970GTX in. Overkill, I know, but might as well. The main reason I did this is because the platform videos were sluggish. I figured it was worth a try. Changing it to the 970GTX made no difference. I then switched the video driver to Windows Media Player (from VLC) and now the videos are perfect. I see the VLC is recommended but it runs like crap. Any idea why?