LaunchBox Community Forums

Coming soon, Neo Geo Marquees v2.0

Mr. RetroLust

The end of the dual display layout project is in sight, after this I'll check out the source material for further full marquees, once that is finished it can finally be released. This project has become quite a study in Neo Geo art history, learned a lot.

List Pack 2 of 2:

Done:

+++ - Aero Fighters 2 (Sonic Wings 2)
+++ - Aero Fighters 3 (Sonic Wings 3)
+++ - Bomberman: Panic Bomber
+++ - Last Resort
+++ - Magician Lord
+++ - Money Idol Exchanger (Money Puzzle Exchanger)
+++ - Mutation Nation
+++ - NAM-1975
+++ - Neo Bomberman
+++ - Neo Drift Out: New Technology
+++ - Neo Turf Masters (Big Tournament Golf)
+++ - Ninja Combat
+++ - Ninja Master's: Hao Ninpo Cho
+++ - Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-Move)
+++ - Puzzle Bobble 2 (Bust-a-Move Again)
+++ - Pleasure Goal: 5 on 5 Mini Soccer (Futsal: 5 on 5 Mini Soccer)
+++ - Pochi & Nyaa (Pochitto Nya)
+++ - Pop'n Bounce (Gapporin)
+++ - Power Spikes II
+++ - Prehistoric Isle 2 (Kenshi Shima 2 / Genshi-to 2)
+++ - Pulstar
+++ - Puzzle de Pon! R
+++ - Puzzle De Pon!
+++ - Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers (Real Bout Garo Densetsu 2: THE NEWCOMERS)
+++ - Riding Hero
+++ - Robo Army
+++ - Rage of the Dragons
+++ - Ragnagard (Shin-Oh-Ken)
+++ - Real Bout Fatal Fury (REAL BOUT Garo Densetsu)
+++ - Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (Real Bout Garo Densetsu Special)
+++ - Samurai Shodown (Samurai Spirits)
+++ - Samurai Shodown II (Shin Samurai Spirits: Haohmaru Jigokuhen)
+++ - Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood (Samurai Spirits: Zankuro Musoken / Fighters Swords)
+++ - Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge (Samurai Spirits: Amakusa Korin)
+++ - Samurai Shodown V (Samurai Spirits Zero)
+++ - Samurai Shodown V Special (Samurai Spirits Zero Special)
+++ - Savage Reign (Fuun Mokushiroku: Kakuto Sosei)
+++ - Sengoku (Sengoku Densho)
+++ - Sengoku 2 (Sengoku Densho 2)
+++ - Sengoku 3 (Sengoku Legends 2001)
+++ - Shock Troopers
+++ - Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
+++ - SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
+++ - Soccer Brawl
+++ - Spinmaster (Miracle Adventure)
+++ - Stakes Winner (Stakes Winner: GI Kinzen Seihae no Michi)
+++ - Stakes Winner 2
+++ - Strikers 1945 Plus
+++ - Street Slam (Street Hoop / Dunk Dream)
+++ - Super Dodge Ball (Kunio no Nekketsu Tokyu Densetsu)
+++ - Super Sidekicks (Tokuten-o)
+++ - Super Sidekicks 2: The World Championship (Tokuten-o 2: Real Fight Football)
+++ - Super Sidekicks 3: The Next Glory (Tokuten-o 3: Eiko-e no Michi)
+++ - Super Sidekicks 4: The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship (SNK FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - Tokuten-o: Hono no Libero)
+++ - Tecmo World Soccer '96
+++ - Thrash Rally
+++ - Waku Waku 7
+++ - Windjammers (Flying Power Disc)
+++ - World Heroes
+++ - World Heroes 2
+++ - World Heroes 2 Jet
+++ - World Heroes Perfect
+++ - ZuPaPa!

To do:

The Super Spy
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
Top Player's Golf
Twinkle Star Sprites
Viewpoint
Zed Blade (Operation Ragnarok)
Zintrick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sub-Zero @Rowen @CriticalCid @Orionsangel @The_Keeper86 @GreenGriffon @Retro808 @latin625 @Belgarath @alnyden @RetroKenesis @keltoigael @fire10

I have an important question to ask you guys, sorry for tagging you but I value your opinion as you've shown interest in this project before :). When you look and compare (maybe best to use arrows to switch between the images in larger view) the below Night Mode versions which number would you consider a more believable/realistic or just nicer lighting effect? I'm asking as I want to know what you guys think and if I should upgrade all the Night Mode versions, I would appreciate it if you could let me know which number has your preference if you'd like, it's sort of like a poll.

Day Mode #1 (for comparison colors without effects)
zedblade-01.thumb.jpg.64ebb2b37a293075c4dfece326f67fa1.jpg Night Mode #2 (Original Night Mode, current versions)
zedblade-02.thumb.jpg.7854de6a573f8b2b9ddcf2a39b357fbc.jpgNight Mode #3 (slight glow added on brighter/white colors)

zedblade-03.thumb.jpg.1e858c06a408f7b6347a6450cc02106d.jpgNight Mode #4 (glow on almost all colors except black/dark)

zedblade-04.thumb.jpg.eaa68afc38f4cb11eae9c5614d0d7b30.jpg

EDIT: Night Mode #5 (#4's Blooming/Glow effect with details like faces and text set to #2 original)

zedblade-05.thumb.jpg.cddf8935640c523c45d4e915f525bfb3.jpg

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

I like Night Mode #3 (slight glow added on brighter/white colors) looks more realistic to me compared to 2 and 4 just seems too washed out.

p.s. I tend not to comment much, but I have to say if I haven't already that you've done some really amazing work here, major kudos to you sir!

Edited by Belgarath
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the original Night Mode best. You're providing a convincing illusion of light dispersion, without washing out the detail or coloration in the original artwork.

If I had to pick a different option, it would be Mode #3 where the effect is at least minimized.

Awesome work, thanks again for keeping this project going.

• Thanks 1

My preference would be 2. The image is nice and sharp. But #4 on my marquee actually looks like there is a light behind it. I left it up and walked in and out of the game room and it looked really nice. Definitely had the look close to a real marquee. I am torn, but you would probably have more members prefer 2 or 3 over the 4th one.

I went ahead and place #4 in my marquee folder. :D

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback and thanks also for the compliments :) Yeah i'm also torn lol 4 looks nice but it seems a bit too much glow, though I like the glow but then the details seem to suffer, arrgh. Can't decide either, maybe I could put it into two layers where the glow is present but the important parts like text and faces have less glow, i'll make a fifth option tomorrow. I do have to keep the amount of marquee versions as low as possible as I think the moderators wouldn't accept even more versions as full artwork marquees are also present so some already have 4 marquee versions in total lol 

• Like 1

I've added #5 to the examples above, I hope to have combined best of both worlds with this version, let me know what you think if you won't mind, I'll start with updating the Night Mode versions tomorrow. I'll have to adjust the blooming for each version though, some can use a lot more glow or it's radius and intensity than other versions. Here's another example of a more darker marquee where you can see more clearly what the blooming effect adds to the original, pay close attention to the edges of the objects best viewed at 100%, the grain effect is being put to good use now as well as if the light reflects off of the grainy material (hard to describe the exact terms for me in english but i'm sure you'll get what I mean).

Orginal

viewpoin-02.thumb.jpg.550a2763e4b4359854b8409991e45afb.jpgUpgrade/Bloom effect

viewpoint-nightmode-bloom.thumb.jpg.37b4a97d2b56e728e91f12e90ad0e094.jpg