LaunchBox Community Forums

Romfrosk's EmuHeaven

Romfrosk

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Lol - after my last message about some systems maybe not being worth included, you've just removed loads of entries from one of my favourite systems (I had a CPC464 as a kid)! How come you removed so many items from the CPC?

It was magazines, music and applications mostly :) 

9 minutes ago, Romfrosk said:

It was magazines, music and applications mostly :) 

If I download a TOSEC pack I immediately delete everything that is not in a game folder as I know I will never want to use it.

Roughly 4000 "ROMs" removed already :) the Amstrad CPC taking the biggest hit

I think I remember that system having the most crap in the pack like demos, betas and the likes which I deleted too.

Edited by Dane

1 minute ago, Dane said:

If I download a TOSEC pack I immediately delete everything that is not in a game folder as I know I will never want to use it.

Same here.
But i didn't use a TOSEC pack for the CPC i guess. i might download it now, to get a cleaner system :)

1 minute ago, Romfrosk said:

Same here.
But i didn't use a TOSEC pack for the CPC i guess. i might download it now, to get a cleaner system :)

I only use TOSEC as a last resort because there is usually so much crap in them. Though they are not always bad and sometimes are the best option for a particular system. I downloaded a 9GB C64 TOSEC pack and it was full of poop. I have just found a C64 pack that is a spastic 90GB! So I am downloading that as my curiosity just HAS to see what is in it.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Aren't the no-intro packs better, in that they are just the games without all the other applications and extras?

They are much better but sometimes a system will have a MUCH bigger pack. In which case I would rather sift through and delete the unwanted crap and end up with a bigger set. I remember finding a C64 no-intro set but it was tiny and had so many titles missing that I was wanting so I sought one elsewhere.

This thread is making me think more and more about which systems to inlcude. Looking at Romfrosk's list, take the following as an example:

image.png.cda12409e7fe729457a9d55b88491433.pngI am wondering if it is really worth including so many variations on a theme? Many of the systems in the list (not just the NEC ones - take the range of calculators as another example) are simply slight upgrades or newer versions of other systems. The games themselves are often the same across such systems anyway. If we take this route, then theoretically we could up end with thousands of systems. Great if you're building a computer/platform history database, perhaps not so great if you want a good Launchbox/collection to play games. Keen to hear your thoughts.

Edited by Dan

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I am wondering if it is really worth including so many variations on a theme? Many of the systems in the list (not just the NEC ones) are simply slight upgrades or newer versions of other systems. The games themselves are often the same across such systems anyway. If we take this route, then theoretically we could up end with thousands of systems. Great if you're building a computer/platform history database, perhaps not so great if you want a good Launchbox/collection to play games. Keen to hear your thoughts.

Yeah, I guess that is where we have to each decide what we want it to be for us. I love the idea of having a monolithic collection but I want playability also. I have added a few systems that are not able to be played yet but I do not think I will go any further down that route. I need to start concentrating on getting more systems up and running as I have been too focused on the adding side of things myself lately.

Yeah, it's monolithic collection vs playability I think. I think it's the difference between having friends go through your collection going "oh yeah I remember that console!", "oh wow I'd forgotten about that one!" etc etc versus wading through unknown machine after foreign machine after unknown machine, many of which have similar games which are probably pretty crappy anyway!

It's actually making me question whether it's worth building up a collection at all, or instead just enjoying a few systems and getting out in the sun lol. In fact now that I think about it, the story of my life is spending time working on bigger and better collections (games, music etc), at the expense of actually enjoying it!

Edited by Dan

Just now, Dan said:

Yeah, it's monolithic collection vs playability I think. I think it's the difference between having friends go through your collection going "oh yeah I remember that console!", "oh wow I'd forgotten about that one!" etc etc versus wading through unknown machine after unknown machine, many of which have similar games which are probably pretty crappy anyway!

Yes I have let things get a bit out of hand and I feel I may cut it back in size. I have created quite a few custom platform videos for missing system etc so I might keep those one because I have put so much effort into them. Besides trying to complete the PS1, Dreamcast and Saturn I think I am done with adding, it will go on forever otherwise. I used to just have arcade games when using Hyperspin but as soon as I got Launchbox I went nuts, haha.

Yes, in some ways just MAME is enough, as the arade was ahead of everything with all consoles & computers just representing inferior ports - at least up until the arcade industry started going downhill with the advent of cheaper and more powerful home consoles, probably starting around the Playstation/Playstation 2 era. Certain types of games (e.g. PC games) would be an exception of course as they were not available in arcades.

I just made up my own spreadsheet of my systems (imported and planned) - excluding any game "collections" (like you see on many Hyperspin wheels), video related entries (such as Netflix etc), magazines, etc. Currently it is at 393 systems. I don't know if I will ever find the time to complete this :P

Edited by Dan

Sorry for the lack of updates.
Been busy at work, and trying to enjoy some of the games too :)

I've skipped the MAME Sorting, as i see that it will take too much time for now, But hopefully i'll get to that later.
I've rather split up the systems that i needed to, in order for them to use the correct switches in MAME.

Currently getting the eXoDOS collection for DOS and Win 3.xx

I'll upload the most recent spreadsheet for you to see and update the statistics on the main post :)

Edited by Romfrosk

Done today:

• My new Amiga collection is here, and i'm currently importing each type of ROM.
  • Cleaned up my systemlist, by removing some systems and adding some
  • Started download of a 1.5TB collection of Original Xbox games

Plans for the weekend:

• Complete import of Amiga
  • Redownload systems with missing ROMs
  • Cleanup in General. 

New information in the first post

5 minutes ago, Romfrosk said:
  • My new Amiga collection is here, and i'm currently importing each type of ROM.

Only out of curiosity. Are you going to give each file type its' own command via the .xml so you can amalgamate them all under the same platform (for each platform) like I recently did with the help of @DOS76?

2 minutes ago, Dane said:

Only out of curiosity. Are you going to give each file type its' own command via the .xml so you can amalgamate them all under the same platform (for each platform) like I recently did with the help of @DOS76?

I will probably jump at this after getting more systems to run :)
For now, i need to verify that they work, and then start "compressing" the list even more.

thanks for the tip.

1 minute ago, Romfrosk said:

I will probably jump at this after getting more systems to run :)
For now, i need to verify that they work, and then start "compressing" the list even more.

thanks for the tip.

Yeah like everything, one step at a time is good. It really does neaten everything up in the end and is the only time I can stand to have duplicates on my setup when importing different file types for the old computer systems. Though I do not do it for all of them. Thus far, I have only done it for the C64 and Jupiter Ace.

Importing last part of the gigantic Amiga collection, and it may seem like i'm going to hit 100k imported games :)

Everytime i think "That's it for importing new systems" i find some new obscure fun system to play with.
My goal is to have 200 systems working by the end of the weekend :)
Any tips and ideas to make that possible would be great. 

Also regarding the systems marked "Missing" in my Original post.
I'd love for "hints" on where to find these.