LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Hello all, the first 8.3 beta is finally here. We're still working on the two Retroarch-related items from the poll (those should be in for the next beta). However, what we do have in this beta is LaunchBox.Next implementations for the game details side bar and image groups:

image.thumb.png.5f689c7ac02da4d1584894e39063ea40.pngimage.thumb.png.67c2a995106cbf37a0bee7222888c4bf.pngimage.thumb.png.0e54fda284589e973f2402dfb7cc3048.pngThere are still a million little things to do with LaunchBox.Next before it's complete, as well as getting Arrange By working properly. That said, the end is in sight. My current plan is to hopefully get everything mostly completed in LaunchBox.Next before releasing 8.3. Then once 8.4 is out we'll most likely do away with the old version of LaunchBox entirely. It will probably be a couple months yet, but I'm looking forward to LaunchBox.Next being the main release due to its ease of development and much improved performance.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. All is coming of course. Any feedback on the visuals of the new game details sidebar?

I know Monkus is gonna fuss but I think I like it the way it is now as opposed to all the way to the top and bottom xD Probably need to stew over it some more, though. I almost want to say that if you're going to have the gap at the bottom that it should be the same distance in the gap at the top, not a huge deal for me either way though.

The only thing I've noticed that seems a little off is the text in the description box... I'm not sure what it is about it. I'm not sure if it's slightly bolder, slightly larger/different font or something but it looks different to me. I'll do a side by side tonight to see what it is, but something about it looks a little weird to me.

Will there be an adjustable transparency setting for the details bar? I think that might be a good idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

I know Monkus is gonna fuss but I think I like it the way it is now as opposed to all the way to the top and bottom xD Probably need to stew over it some more, though. I almost want to say that if you're going to have the gap at the bottom that it should be the same distance in the gap at the top, not a huge deal for me either way though.

The only thing I've noticed that seems a little off is the text in the description box... I'm not sure what it is about it. I'm not sure if it's slightly bolder, slightly larger font or something but it looks different to me. I'll do a side by side tonight to see what it is, but something about it looks a little weird to me.

Will there be an adjustable transparency setting for the details bar? I think that might be a good idea.

Great feedback, thanks Zom. We can certainly add all those settings, yes, though they'll have to wait until after everything else is done.

Here's a couple screenshots of what the game details sidebar used to look like in a previous iteration, spanning all the way to the right and bottom:

unknown.thumb.png.dc1549ee7c07a39b59de82d65ae83711.png5ae3899d628a5_unknown(1).thumb.png.8748dc1bf69f98a37662f716905f9688.pngPersonally, I've decided I like it better the new way. Thoughts? Keep in mind that either way, we will soon have support for custom themes, so it'll be fully tweakable soon enough.

Yeah, I think I prefer it the new way as well. That's just me though.

Going all the way to the right and bottom does have the advantage of displaying (slightly) larger images/more text at once. Will the width be adjustable like it is in normal LB (maybe it is already and I haven't noticed)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Yeah, I think I prefer it the new way as well. That's just me though.

Going all the way to the right and bottom does have the advantage of displaying (slightly) larger images/more text at once. Will the width be adjustable like it is in normal LB (maybe it is already and I haven't noticed)?

Yes, you can adjust it currently and it even remembers it too! ;)

• Like 1

Excellent!

And yeah, I just took a closer look and it's definitely the font size that's throwing me off. It seems way too large to me, at least compared to what I'm used to. I assume this will eventually be adjustable like in normal LB though. Add in adjustable box sizes/spacing and I'll be mostly set. I didn't realize you could change those until a few months back and now I can't go back haha
image.thumb.png.56dfcfc925aa7e37d2ef09bcf8c2c7ac.pngimage.thumb.png.2bebcf997e4e6a36f49e80c728aef555.pngAlso, I think you're probably already aware of this, but I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread - platform categories are not in the correct alphabetical order in Next.