LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

the only major thing I can think of that we're missing is controller features (game controller automation and being able to control LaunchBox.Next itself with the controller).

Will the analog L and R triggers work with LB Next? They don't work in BB.

Next is shaping up great! Just a few more nights until prom night!

I've found some weird stuff compared to regular LaunchBox:

The sidebar in Launchbox Next doesn't show all the screenshots available, only the ones matching the first criteria in the priorities. They are all shown in Regular LaunchBox though:

2018-05-25.thumb.jpg.57f9cb0747efc6e4f755ed3553f19c54.jpg353720865_2018-05-25(1).thumb.jpg.846c3a6d7a01ce309f58395b72063f13.jpgIn the images above you can see Next only showing the title screenshot then goes to fanart without showing the other types of screenshots.

Also, disabling the checkbox "Automatically backup the LaunchBox XML database file" doesn't seem to work, backups are still being created.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DOS76 said:

While I would love to see more controller options available at any point. I'm going to assume the new controller features will mirror the old ones and not add new functionality at this point.

Kinda disappointing but understandable. I'd love to be able to map the Xbox Guide button too, but I'm guessing that won't be happening either.

Not saying these features will never come about just that the push is to add existing features to LBN and get it ready to replace the original version of the program not add additional functionality at this time. I'm not so much pushing for the guide button but the ability to set triggers d pad right stick like you can in RA is definitely something I would like to see make it in one day.

• Like 1

If you are using a xinput controller you could always use a program like controller companion. Just turn off controller support in Bigbox, and create a Bigbox profile that will auto launch when Bigbox is started. Then map the keyboard controls in Bigbox to the controller buttons, this will allow you to use triggers in Bigbox. 

Not ideal but it does work.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:56 AM, neil9000 said:

If you are using a xinput controller you could always use a program like controller companion. Just turn off controller support in Bigbox, and create a Bigbox profile that will auto launch when Bigbox is started. Then map the keyboard controls in Bigbox to the controller buttons, this will allow you to use triggers in Bigbox. 

Not ideal but it does work.

I've done that in the past but now I'm trying to get my LB setup to work without any extra programs running. Currently the Guide button works as a shift key to enable alternate functionality on every button. LB/BB is the only place I can't do this. Not too big of a deal, I'd much rather L and R trigger support for scrolling.

Hi Jason, I have some issues with LB next:

- I'm trying to sort my main playlist I've created, and I'm editing it by deleting the games I don't want in it.

1; there is now way to go easely siomewhere in the list neither by pressing the firsqt letter, or by searching in the search bow where I was, because, then I select the game by clicking on it, then removes the search to get back to the complete list, and beforte I could move the cursor keys to display the next one taht i selected, now it goes back on top of the list.

2. when deleting an entry, previously, once deleted,  it selected the previous entry in the list, now, it goes back on top of the list and changes the playlist to the first one so I have to select again terh one i was working on, the find back where i was by scrolling throw. This completly waste my time every time i delete something. Worked very fine before.

3. there is now way to go back to launbox oldshool, need to close the LBnext and launch LB normal .

I really hope you won't discard the old version it is way more mature and usable. LBnext is not friendly user when it comes to editing, finding or deleting entries.

Edited by vital74

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Launchbox next is still a work in progress, when it is ready it will have all the same functionality of the older style. For the moment I suggest you go back to the older version until next is completed.

I'm just pointing the issues I have right now, I'm not complaining ;)  hoping they get fix, and the "go back on top of the first list after delete" exist since beta 1

Hello jason.
 The games with "version" field like the TOSEC roms are very useful,because they give a lot of information in the title.For example : pitfall (1983)(activision)(1a)
Is it possible to "search" (in the "search" field) several games with the informations given in the "version" field?
(For example : search all "(activision)" or all "(1983)" roms that have this info in the "version" field in order to display them)
Now,unfortunately, it seems impossible (the infos between ( ) can't be "searched")
That could be great in order to classify games very more easely and quicker.

Thanks!

Just now, faydesmee said:

LB Next deleted all of my custom fields in every platform file. Literally, thousands of them, all of them. It seems it does not support this feature at all.

First of all im sorry to here you are having problems. Launchbox next is being used by many of our users already as a daily driver, and this is the first I have heard about any such thing. Could you please be a little more specific about what you say has been deleted.

16 minutes ago, faydesmee said:

You can create your own custom fields in LB. I had thousands of them. And now they are gone. I have just checked XML files in Notepad++. They all disappeared  - after the last update, I believe.

Basically, I can see that it also cleared most of the standards fields like platform or genre etc. It destroyed all of my platform XML files. 

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. If you would, please create a separate topic and we can help troubleshoot this. I doubt this is related to LaunchBox.Next since the data backend is exactly the same. You may still have good backups of your XML files in the Backups folder; I'll be interested to know how long it's been since it happened and what you were doing at the time.

As always, though, this is why backups are important, especially when using beta releases.

Beta 11 is out now with the following completed in LaunchBox.Next:

• Hiding and showing list view columns and column ordering
  • Reduced side bar minimum width
  • Combining and expanding games
  • Arrange by custom fields
  • Hopeful fix for @Drybonz's "The root Visual of a VisualTarget cannot have a parent." error
  • Fixed missing screenshots in game details
  • Fixed disabling auto-backups not working (still have no idea why you'd ever want to turn this off, not recommended)
  • Arrange by now affects the detail line values
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/29/2018 at 3:08 PM, Jason Carr said:

Hopeful fix for @Drybonz's "The root Visual of a VisualTarget cannot have a parent." error

Was I the only one that had this error?  Maybe because I have some custom categories?  Dunno.

Anyway, I did some quick and limited testing, but it seems to be all worked out as of beta 11.  Thanks.

• Like 1