LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.3-beta-1 Released

Expanding games does not work for me. It says the games have been successfully expanded, but there is no change at all.

• Like 1

Per the thumbnails, I will see what I can do to improve it. But it's not a battle that I'm going to win, because on the one hand I will get complaints that the "CPU is spiking every few seconds" if I cache stuff in the background, and on the other hand I'll get complaints that they're not popping in fast enough. There will have to be a tradeoff. In .Next, the tradeoff is leaning more towards less CPU usage currently.

@Rod That CPU must be pretty low-powered for it to spike to 14%. I know what's causing it; it's the controller automation and the controller input processing shell. That's unavoidable unless you want to turn that stuff off.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Rod That CPU must be pretty low-powered for it to spike to 14%.I know what's causing it; it's the controller automation and the controller input processing shell. That's unavoidable unless you want to turn that stuff off.

@Jason Carr I'm using a GPD Win, I think you know it, because it was one of your videos that got me convinced I had to get one myself 🙂 .

The controller automation was already off, but when I turn off the "Enable Gamepad / Joystick Input", the cpu usage spikes are indeed gone (GPD Win is at about 2% overall cpu usage steady, and .Next itself is at about 0% in task manager on the processes tab), so thanks for mentioning that. I'm mostly using LB.Next (not BB) on the Win so I'm OK with turning it off. 

I did notice that in task manager when using the regular Launchbox with "Enable Gamepad / Joystick Input" ON , that cpu usage (on the processes tab) is much lower between 0% and 1% without any spikes, whereas the same setting in .Next shows a cpu usage between 0% and about 5% (with the regular spikes). So there may me something odd going on with "Enable Gamepad / Joystick Input" = ON in .Next still?

In any case thanks for keeping low CPU usage in LB a high priority, while balancing all those priorities. .Next dots all the right i's, and is a sheer pleasure to use (even on a pretty low powered device as the Win 😀).

Edited by Rod
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

As always thanks for the hard work @Jason Carr. The thing that sets my OCD off is the spacing between the platform names in the left-hand list. Is there any way we could change that?

I've highlighted below what I mean. Thanks!

image.thumb.png.56dfcfc925aa7e37d2ef09bcf8c2c7ac.png

image.thumb.png.2bebcf997e4e6a36f49e80c728aef555.png

Edited by DaveC
  • Like 1

I have pushed Jason on this in private since day 1 of LB Next so hopefully he will make this change. If he doesn't then we can change it when Jason lets us theme it which will be happening.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think that the current spacing is too bad - though a slider to adjust the spacing would be a welcome addition to the customisation options.

Theming LB Next, wow that sounds great! Didn't know about that. 

Edited by Dan

On 6/6/2018 at 1:48 PM, Dan said:

With the current beta, I have noticed that the screenshots sometimes do not show in the game details pane, when screenshots are present (and correctly labelled) for that game.

Jason said: I know this was happening with a previous beta, but it should have been fixed, and I've looked at the code and it's the same as regular LaunchBox now. Are you sure you're on beta 16? Also, check your image priority settings for screenshots. :)

Unfortunately this is still happening. For many games, screenshots are present, and they show in the main game browser and also if you edit the game (or press CTRL+I to view images) - but they don't appear in the game details pane!

43 minutes ago, Dan said:

Jason said: I know this was happening with a previous beta, but it should have been fixed, and I've looked at the code and it's the same as regular LaunchBox now. Are you sure you're on beta 16? Also, check your image priority settings for screenshots. :)

Unfortunately this is still happening. For many games, screenshots are present, and they show in the main game browser and also if you edit the game (or press CTRL+I to view images) - but they don't appear in the game details pane!

Well to go back to what Jason posted there, have you checked your game details settings? There are lots of options to check/uncheck there.

Screenshot (182).png

Thanks for the reply @neil9000. I actually have everything ticked there, except for "portable".

Perhaps I should add - in the game details pane, the screenshot heading is there (indicating that it is selected) but nothing shows below it.

can you show me a screen shot of a particular game so that i can compare with how mine is?

Sure. There are hundreds of them. Here is one:

ajnez7.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Sure. There are hundreds of them. Here is one:

ajnez7.jpg

HA HA, sorry i have no DOS in my setup, so i cant check that, got any USA snes or nes games or something, you know something a little more mainstream. ;) 

Also you using exodos? could that be the issue?

Yes I am using exodos. How does that relate to the issue?

Just now, Dan said:

Yes I am using exodos. How does that relate to the issue?

Just wondering if that stores the images in a different location as everything is included right? Or if the naming is different somehow and Launchbox isnt seeing the images.

Well if you edit the game then all the images are there and labelled correctly, so LB seems to "see" them fine. Also, this does not happen for all of the exodos games.

Is DOS the only platform you have noticed it on by chance or is it everywhere.

Yes, it would appear to be a problem only with the MSDOS platform.

Posted (edited)

@Jason Carr - any thoughts on how it can be possible that LB shows these screenshots correctly in the edit window, but not the game details pane? 

Edit: it works in LB, just not LB Next!

Edited by Dan