LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing this is because of the name of the emulator. What did you name the emulator?

Yes you're right, I'm using both a non-standard path and a non standard Emulator name. (I want to distuingish between a setup that uses GL and one that uses D3D).

The emulator application path I'm using is:

..\Emulators\Retroarch[GL]\retroarch.exe 

and the name I'm using in Emulator Name is "Retroarch[GL]"

LB_Emulator_Details.png

Edited by Rod

This Beta looks good. +++ for everything looking more smooth!

I take it that the ability to rescale the cover size is still to be added? Also, it seems that you can only show screenshots and fanart images in the game details view. I don't know why there is this limitation - would be much better if it were able to show all image types!

Also, why is the box surrounding the cover art black for most entries but dark maroon or dark olive for some?

Edited by Dan

19 hours ago, xsilverfuryx said:

@Jason Carr Speaking of additional applications, is there any way to delete additional applications in mass?

Yes, unfortunately not currently, though I know this needs to be implemented.

14 hours ago, Rod said:

Yes you're right, I'm using both a non-standard path and a non standard Emulator name. (I want to distuingish between a setup that uses GL and one that uses D3D).

The emulator application path I'm using is:

..\Emulators\Retroarch[GL]\retroarch.exe 

and the name I'm using in Emulator Name is "Retroarch[GL]"

LB_Emulator_Details.png

Good to know. I'll look to change this to search for Retroarch anywhere in the title in a future beta.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

This Beta looks good. +++ for everything looking more smooth!

I take it that the ability to rescale the cover size is still to be added? Also, it seems that you can only show screenshots and fanart images in the game details view. I don't know why there is this limitation - would be much better if it were able to show all image types!

Also, why is the box surrounding the cover art black for most entries but dark maroon or dark olive for some?

At least at first, we're looking to tackle features that existed in the original version of LaunchBox, so stuff like other image types in the sidebar will need to wait until we get LaunchBox.Next all wrapped up and ready to go. The background colors are matched from the images; there will be an option to turn this off eventually if you don't prefer it this way.

• Like 1

Beta 5 is out now guys with the following:

- Improvement: Zooming in and out has been added to LaunchBox.Next (as well as the slider in the button bar)

- Improvement: Games without images in LaunchBox.Next now display the placeholder image instead of no image at all

- Improvement: Background image fading has been implemented in LaunchBox.Next

My to-do list for LaunchBox.Next is shortening up, but there's a fair bit of miscellaneous things I still need to tackle, as well as Arrange By and the List View, which are the large items that are left on my plate. Still, I'm hoping to be nearing the end in a couple of weeks or so. :)

• Like 11

nice seeing zoome in and out.  but it only takes a tiny step when used and maybe this is just me and my keybord but i cant get ctrl ++ and ctrl +- working.

Never mind my keybord is retarded :D works now.

Edited by ALIE
  • Like 1

@Jason Carr this error just tareted appearing when browsing games in next.

dosnt crash but it keeps appearing when i start scrolling. 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.3-beta-5
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (<>c__DisplayClass190_2)
Source:  LaunchBox.Next

at (<>c__DisplayClass190_2 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Next.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass190_2.<AttachView>b__8()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass190_0 , Object , SizeChangedEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Next.ViewModels.GameDetailsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass190_0.<AttachView>b__1(Object sender, SizeChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnRenderSizeChanged(SizeChangedInfo sizeInfo)
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireSizeChangedEvents()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

3:16:45 PM Exception

• Like 1

Damn, I have no idea of all those Retroarch changes. Luckly it didn't break any of my stuff, even though I use a different config file for each system.

I've noticed for a while now that the image group for backgrounds is not working in LB.next, in fact, i've never managed to make it work even in regular Launchbox, I just get the empty LB image even though the game has one or more images of that type and are correctly displayed in the background, but not in the front. Is it just me?

Pic for reference: nobg.thumb.jpg.2e72d81ecc7fc6ef2a0263d9c0035036.jpg

Edited by Suhrvivor

6 minutes ago, Suhrvivor said:

Damn, I have no idea of all those Retroarch changes. Luckly it didn't break any of my stuff, even though I use a different config file for each system.

I've noticed for a while now that the image group for backgrounds is not working in LB.next, in fact, i've never managed to make it work even in regular Launchbox, I just get the empty LB image even though the game has one or more images of that type and are correctly displayed in the background, but not in the front. Is it just me?

Pic for reference: nobg.thumb.jpg.2e72d81ecc7fc6ef2a0263d9c0035036.jpg

You probably just don't have any background images for those games. Why would you want to use them anyway instead of game boxes or clear logos? Personally I think those sort of images would look bad compared to boxes, but just my opinion. :) 

I definitely have background images for those games, in the pic you can see the background for Demon's Souls but oddly enough is not picked up and displayed in the front.

I don't really use it but since is there, I was wondering if it's broken in my end or what.

5 minutes ago, Suhrvivor said:

I definitely have background images for those games, in the pic you can see the background for Demon's Souls but oddly enough is not picked up and displayed in the front.

I don't really use it but since is there, I was wondering if it's broken in my end or what.

The image behind there is fanart, not background. Maybe create a background folder in the ps3 image folder and copy the fanart to it and test that.

11 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

It seems like the keyboard shortcuts for zoom in and out aren't working, unless I'm just being dense and clicking the wrong buttons somehow.

Didn't work for me but I found on my keyboard I have to hold in the green FN button. 

8 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

I am able to replicate this as well; will fix. I'm not quite sure what @neil9000 is getting at there.

1 hour ago, Drybonz said:

It seems like the keyboard shortcuts for zoom in and out aren't working, unless I'm just being dense and clicking the wrong buttons somehow.

Keyboards are stupid in that the + and - keys to the left of the Backspace key are different than the + and - keys on the numpad. It's expecting the keys from the numpad, though I know this is confusing. Not sure if there's an easy fix, but I'll check it out.

• Thanks 1

@Jason Carr speaking of the pdf viewer, have you been able to separate the assigned controller buttons from the main UI controller buttons? I haven't looked at it in a while, but back when I did I I was unable to assign buttons to zoom that had already been binded to another UI function in Big Box.

2 hours ago, Charco said:

@Jason Carr speaking of the pdf viewer, have you been able to separate the assigned controller buttons from the main UI controller buttons? I haven't looked at it in a while, but back when I did I I was unable to assign buttons to zoom that had already been binded to another UI function in Big Box.

I haven't, though that's a good reminder. I'll add it to the shortlist (though admittedly it's likely to be a challenge to solve).

51 minutes ago, dov_EL said:

Any news for - " LOADING GAME" ? :)

You mean the item from the poll? It's on the radar of course but we haven't started it yet. :)

On 5/14/2018 at 4:11 PM, wirtual82 said:

So, you might also want to note - why not to make LB "show only" items based on custom fields as well as arranged by. For instance, today I needed LB  to show me games only from 1994. Tomorrow I might need it to show me only those by my own custom field etc. Now I have to create a separate playlist for it.  I think that I asked for a simple "filtering" feature years ago. Still, you have so much to do here. Will I still be alive when all of it gets implemented? I am not sure ;)  "Arrange by" is also missing one feature. It always starts from none to the highest value. And it would be useful if it could start from the highest values to none. It might not seem important, but if I have 30,000 games it is simply a bit disturbing to go down through all the "none" entries I am not interested in EVERY TIME. It is slow. Generally, sorting should be improved.

When I referred to MusicBee years ago, I did not mean interface, but its ability to sort and filter items in its library. Extremely powerful and easy.

And strangely enough, I seem to have more games than music files on my hard drive to sort and filter etc.

And I truly do not understand people who have big libraries and do not care about advanced filtering feature.

Say, you can filter games by genre, year, custom field, publisher etc. filter by all at the same time, The more filters you add, the more you can narrow down what is shown in the library - like Music Bee, which allows you to filter music files by every single existing field in the library - fast and easy.

44 minutes ago, wirtual82 said:

Haha, nobody's answered my last post yet? Funny. A feature "show" equals a feature "filter". That's all. If we possibly could filter/show items that contain no images/video files, why couldn't we possibly be able to filter/show all the rest of the possible fields? Let's make LB a lot more powerful. I think it's a good idea. It's enough to create some additional menu for "show me things". Like show me games from this year, show me games from this genre etc. A basic feature for many apps out there.  This feature should end up in the poll. That being said. 

And currently? Example, I want LB to show me games from 1993, Amiga Games, by particular publishers? How do you do it now? Do I have to create a separate playlist every time I need Lb to show me anything? Really?

Probably I am talking to myself :D Whatever. Let's say it's a technical matter.

Nobody cares. The same applies to genres. I tell LB to "arrange by" Amiga genres. Let's say I am interested in a strategy genre. What I have to do now? Go through thousands of games (slow cache covers) until I can find the strategy genre - somewhere at the bottom because 'S' letter should be at the end of the alphabet.  It's extremely inconvenient to do so every time you want to find something. And it is slow to do so...

To be completely honest, I didn't feel like it deserved a response. I very much appreciate feature requests and all kinds of feedback, but when it comes across as passive-aggressive dribble, I don't enjoy reading it or responding to it. No matter what you would like to think, your personal thoughts and opinions do not represent the thoughts and opinions of LaunchBox users as a whole. We're doing our best to tackle the most important items that pertain to what we believe the collective community wants. You do have some good thoughts in the above, but it's hard to even find them amidst the insults and complaints.

• Like 3