LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Missing Features Thread

Jason Carr

Hello all! As of LaunchBox 8.4-beta-11, the following features are all that we know is left to implement in LaunchBox.Next in order to be feature-complete with the original LaunchBox:

• Custom spacing options (with # of text lines too)

These features will definitely be implemented before LaunchBox is replaced by LaunchBox.Next.

As of 7/18/2018 and 8.4-beta-12, every feature on the list has been implemented! However, if you are aware of additional missing features, please let us know in this thread. :)

• Like 1

Makes sense @Lordmonkus. Just to clarify, this thread is strictly for features that are in the original LaunchBox that are missing from LaunchBox.Next. If you're heartbroken because something doesn't match the original LaunchBox (like Monkus is above), we will consider tackling that as well. However, let's keep new feature and configuration requests at bay for the moment (stuff that's not in the original LaunchBox).

3 hours ago, AFaustini said:

I don't remember if this feature exist on original LB. But it would be cool implement a way to change sorting order, like ascending or descending.

This actually doesn't exist in the original LaunchBox, but I agree that we need it, so I'll probably get something like that in there relatively soon. :)

2 hours ago, Charco said:

I'd like the boxart to scale to one size in a platform like in regular LB. LB.Next seems to show all boxes in different sizes.

LaunchBox doesn't resize boxes any differently than .Next; the only difference is that it centers them vertically above the text, so it's not so obvious how they differ in size. We might provide some similar options since I believe it's been a relatively common request.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charco said:

I'd like the boxart to scale to one size in a platform like in regular LB. LB.Next seems to show all boxes in different sizes.

I'm thinking he means the option to truncate the text/set maximum number of lines like LB does (as having too many lines is what causes the images to go to different sizes).

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:
  • Pressing a letter key to jump to items

These features will definitely be implemented before LaunchBox is replaced by LaunchBox.Next. However, if you are aware of additional missing features, please let us know in this thread. :)

Could we do 2 letter jumps (or more) for those of us with large collections? I know this is technically a feature request and this thread is for feature parity, but thought I'd try as it may be easier to nip this when you're already delving in this particular code :D

Edited by p bizzy

On 6/2/2018 at 8:56 AM, p bizzy said:

Could we do 2 letter jumps (or more) for those of us with large collections? I know this is technically a feature request and this thread is for feature parity, but thought I'd try as it may be easier to nip this when you're already delving in this particular code :D

That's a tricky one, so unfortunately it will have to wait.

I have Box images that are all 360x500x24 in their source directory. When the images get added to the LaunchBox.Next cache, some are being scaled to 250x166x32 while others are scaled to 250x347x32. All images are scaled correctly in LaunchBox cache.

LaunchBox.Next
scale1.thumb.PNG.94deb2a220884f0c91337e4a1ddf8e70.PNG

LaunchBox

scale2.thumb.PNG.4f4c574cabe682aff435ebf8d591b29e.PNG

• Like 1

Is it possible to disable those grey boxes around every game? It looks less clean compared to the original Launchbox. When selecting a game, the background could either be a bit more toned down or even automatically blurred out a bit (similar to backgrounds in the Emulation Station theme). It would also be nice if the vertical height can be adjusted / automatically adjusted based on the maximum height of images. Vertical game covers look great with little space in between, but in particular N64 (or others that are square) look like way too much space between each line. 

Capture2.PNG

Edited by OdinsPlayground
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2018 at 7:21 PM, throwingmuse said:

I have Box images that are all 360x500x24 in their source directory. When the images get added to the LaunchBox.Next cache, some are being scaled to 250x166x32 while others are scaled to 250x347x32. All images are scaled correctly in LaunchBox cache.

LaunchBox.Next
scale1.thumb.PNG.94deb2a220884f0c91337e4a1ddf8e70.PNG

LaunchBox

scale2.thumb.PNG.4f4c574cabe682aff435ebf8d591b29e.PNG

This is odd. Can you PM me an image that isn't working? That way I can do some testing. It's possible that WPF just isn't handling broken/weirdly-encoded images as well, so we may or may not be able to fully fix it.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, OdinsPlayground said:

Is it possible to disable those grey boxes around every game? It looks less clean compared to the original Launchbox. When selecting a game, the background could either be a bit more toned down or even automatically blurred out a bit (similar to backgrounds in the Emulation Station theme). It would also be nice if the vertical height can be adjusted / automatically adjusted based on the maximum height of images. Vertical game covers look great with little space in between, but in particular N64 (or others that are square) look like way too much space between each line. 

Capture2.PNG

We will be adding box customization options, yes (per the first post in this topic). The vertical height issue bugs me as well, so we will be addressing it here at some point, though vanilla LaunchBox has the exact same problem. We'll need to wait until .Next is feature complete before tackling things like that.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:44 AM, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr Are you planning on adding  in the top right corner or somewhere, where you can click on BigBox mode from LaunchBox Next without having to go into a submenu? I miss having that feature.

I had tried to do this but I never found a good place for it that wasn't ugly (I was trying to include the icon as well). I could just make it as another menu item in the top right, without the icon.

• Like 2

I just realized clear logos are not being displayed in Next when I click on a game image. I have double checked the background priorities choices in Options and Clear Logo is first in the list, then Fanart - Background. I have even unchecked Clear Logo, then gone back and reselected it with no change in behavior. Am I the only one who sees this?

I have not noticed this in regular Launchbox.

• Like 1