LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Missing Features Thread

Jason Carr

On 9/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, Kondorito said:

Hey guys. Cannot recall whether this was WAD in OG LB as well or not, but I am sliding the column titles to a certain width (so I can see specific field columns), and every time I remove a game or update something, the columns width goes back to default. Is there a way for LB to remember the columns position/width? Thanks!

Not currently. Sorry my response is so late lol; I missed this thread somehow. I'm pretty sure it was like this in OG LaunchBox as well. We'll probably put an item on the next poll for list view quality of life improvements.

On 9/11/2018 at 6:43 PM, HapHzrd said:

Missing auto-generated playlists:

• 3-Player Games
  • Trackball Games
  • Spinner Games
  • Steering Wheel Games

These would be great to throw into the mix, with the appropriate official art.

Thanks again for all your work.  LaunchBox is still my favorite... still getting better all the time!

Thanks Hap. Those indeed would be useful, though some of them may be a challenge based on what metadata is required from MAME and what logic is required to do the filtering.

10 hours ago, Colorman3605 said:

Hi! Often it happens to me that when I launch launchbox, it opens in a different position than the last time I used it. You could enter an option with which you can maintain the position and size of the program or an option with which we choose this two parameters.
In the details column I usually insert the videos (if available), the notes of the games and various screens of these (game titles, select screens etc ..., which I realize with various programs of screen capture and graphics). You could have the possibility to make the screens, if smaller than the size of the details column, are not automatically enlarged, while the larger ones are reduced by a scale (1/2. 1/4., Etc ...) .
Thanks!

There is currently an issue where if you maximize LaunchBox and then close it, it won't remember the non-maximized position on the next launch. That said, it should always be coming up in the same spot that it closed down, maximized or not. If that's not working properly, I could use details on exactly what's happening.

Per the image sizing in the game details not enlarging and reducing on a scale, that could be done in a custom theme, but I don't think that's likely to be a request that's common enough for us to tackle unfortunately. If it comes up again I'll take note though.

6 hours ago, AFaustini said:

There is any update in implementation of changing sorting order in LB?

If I don't get to it beforehand, I can put it on the next poll.

5 hours ago, Colorman3605 said:

You could change the volume control, the current one I find it decidedly uncomfortable (just three volume keys would be enough, - no sound that would be disengaged with the + key). Would you also have video controls?
Thank you!

You can use the mousewheel while hovering over it with the mouse. Or, just click on it and use the arrow keys.

Ok for the volume, but it is always inconvenient.
In the details column I insert videos, notes and various screens. In the options in the priority screenshot I have set in order: titles. selection screens and gameplay. I'm noticing that the priority is not respected and this happens even with files of the same kind.
Example: I have two files in the titles folder, one called xxx-01 the other xxx-02. The order is not respected, for some titles the file ending in -01 is shown first while for other titles the file ending with -02 is shown first. There is a way to ensure that the priorities are respected correctly.
Not only that, every time I select the game in question, the order changes every time.
Thank you!

Edited by Colorman3605

33 minutes ago, Colorman3605 said:

Ok for the volume, but it is always inconvenient.
In the details column I insert videos, notes and various screens. In the options in the priority screenshot I have set in order: titles. selection screens and gameplay. I'm noticing that the priority is not respected and this happens even with files of the same kind.
Example: I have two files in the titles folder, one called xxx-01 the other xxx-02. The order is not respected, for some titles the file ending in -01 is shown first while for other titles the file ending with -02 is shown first. There is a way to ensure that the priorities are respected correctly.
Not only that, every time I select the game in question, the order changes every time.
Thank you!

That's because multiple images set for one image category get randomized.

Just now, Colorman3605 said:

Ok. But in this case, most of the view options are not rendered useless? In this case you should enter something to eliminate this randomization.

This is how it has always been, changing how the program works for just one person probably isn't on the cards if i'm honest. If enough people all feel it should be changed then maybe @Jason Carr would consider it, but i highly doubt it will be changed for everyone to appease one user i'm afraid.

I did not want to create controversy, I'm sorry and I apologize if I gave this impression. Being a great quality launchbox the ability to customize it, I think this thing of randomization is the opposite of this quality. In this regard I would like to know if I'm the only one to think of it this way. Maybe it will be my fault but if I insert images in a certain way, with a logic for me, I would be able to see them in that logic.
Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Colorman3605 said:

I did not want to create controversy, I'm sorry and I apologize if I gave this impression. Being a great quality launchbox the ability to customize it, I think this thing of randomization is the opposite of this quality. In this regard I would like to know if I'm the only one to think of it this way. Maybe it will be my fault but if I insert images in a certain way, with a logic for me, I would be able to see them in that logic.
Thank you!

You didn't create any controversy :), i was simply saying that changing how the program works for everyone for one user isn't likely. That's not to say that it wouldn't be considered or could be added as a option in the settings to toggle but that is up to Jason. At the end of the day Jason focus's his development on the additions that many people want to see added, and i believe this is the best way to work with the community. Maybe this change can be added to the next poll for users to vote on, so that interest in it can be gauged.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:03 AM, dragon57 said:

Jason, any chance you could add animated GIF support for the clear logo files? A couple of other front ends are now showing animated wheel graphics. They aren't specifically using animated GIF file, but I figured that would be the easiest way to get them in LB and BB.

It would be nice if I was aware of a decent animation format (other than Flash) that supports alpha-transparency. The problem with gifs is that they're ugly because there's no alpha-transparency support. I don't believe WPF has support for any video formats with alpha-transparency, and unbelievably I'm not even aware of any formats existing (at least not as a standard). That's kind of baffling, to be honest. But yes, I have thought about that; I just don't currently have a good solution for it. We're definitely not going to be putting Flash in at this point.

12 hours ago, Colorman3605 said:

Thank you!

I get you; we'll see if anyone else ends up bringing that up. :)

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It would be nice if I was aware of a decent animation format (other than Flash) that supports alpha-transparency. The problem with gifs is that they're ugly because there's no alpha-transparency support. I don't believe WPF has support for any video formats with alpha-transparency, and unbelievably I'm not even aware of any formats existing (at least not as a standard). That's kind of baffling, to be honest. But yes, I have thought about that; I just don't currently have a good solution for it. We're definitely not going to be putting Flash in at this point.

Come to think of it, I guess it's certainly possible, but we'd have to do the animation ourselves, and use a separate PNG image for each frame. Talk about a pain to create the animated wheels lol.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Come to think of it, I guess it's certainly possible, but we'd have to do the animation ourselves, and use a separate PNG image for each frame. Talk about a pain to create the animated wheels lol.

I might as well keep piece-mailing lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG

https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=apngwpf

So it DOES exist. But the fact that no one knows about it probably does mean that it's pretty far from a standard. But I'll probably get this implemented eventually. ;)

Why would anyone want this randomization? Not my preference either. Seems an option to have it on or off would be helpful. I have the same issue with rocket launcher. If I have more than one bezel for a game, it randomly chooses one each launch. I want alternates I can choose with a key when I want a change. I don't want to keep having to reset my preference each time, or create a subfolder and manually rename or copy things into it so the program can't find them. So there are 2 of us ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dragon57 said:

I was just getting ready to recommend APNG. Looking at all the code available on github, it looks pretty easy to implement, plus the sizes can be nearly the same size as animated gifs.

@dragon57BTW, I am a HUGE Robbie the robot fan. I had a model of him and tried to get the Masudaya talking Robbie (16" tall) when it came out in the 80's. I thought $300 was a bit steep. They are going for twice that now.

• 4 months later...

There will be the possibility of having a "light" version of launchbox. Let me explain: I only use the "normal" version of launchbox and not the "bigbox". If being able to use the "normal" version meant lightening up the program, why not. I often access the "bigbox" version by mistake. Otherwise you could insert an option to hide all the commands and options related to "bigbox".
I also hope that in the next versions the usual problem of randomizing the order of images in the details of the various titles will be solved.
Thanks!