LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Missing Features Thread

Jason Carr

I do appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the new .next version. But I am finding the layout to be pretty ugly in the box art window. All my box art is showing different size image blocks making a very ugly look to the screen. Originally on the old Launchbox my box art was all the same size in a nice transparent border which holds its title. I now see black rectangles, black squares all different sizes.

I do however like the left hand (Platform) menu , that looks pretty slick, but the spacing and font size means I have quite a lot of scrolling to do now which I never had to do to go down the list

either way I have lost almost an entire row of game icons with the mismatch in sizes down from 3 rows visable to 2, while I am down 9 emulators in the platform selection menu on the screen. I have attached screen grabs to show the difference.

Would it be possible to keep the existing launchbox layout as a 3rd option instead of simply replacing it with .next?

LB1.thumb.jpg.1899780c169be882dbc6fa36d2f3f750.jpgLB2.thumb.jpg.c4d7f639179f51f9ccba9bf398919889.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Crashgordon said:

I do appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the new .next version. But I am finding the layout to be pretty ugly in the box art window. All my box art is showing different size image blocks making a very ugly look to the screen. Originally on the old Launchbox my box art was all the same size in a nice transparent border which holds its title. I now see black rectangles, black squares all different sizes.

I do however like the left hand (Platform) menu , that looks pretty slick, but the spacing and font size means I have quite a lot of scrolling to do now which I never had to do to go down the list

either way I have lost almost an entire row of game icons with the mismatch in sizes down from 3 rows visable to 2, while I am down 9 emulators in the platform selection menu on the screen. I have attached screen grabs to show the difference.

Would it be possible to keep the existing launchbox layout as a 3rd option instead of simply replacing it with .next?

LB1.thumb.jpg.1899780c169be882dbc6fa36d2f3f750.jpgLB2.thumb.jpg.c4d7f639179f51f9ccba9bf398919889.jpg

This has honestly been beaten to death. I have options coming to make the boxes more similar to the old LaunchBox, yes. But once again, the old LaunchBox had the exact same issue with different image sizes; the main difference is the fact that regular LaunchBox does not have the surrounding box, and the boxes were centered. Regardless, I will be adding these options in soon.

42 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

For me it seemed the previous was better. I didn't quite notice the buffering and stretching over my toolbar until I got the latest Beta. The Thumbnails and Details seemed quicker for me as well in the previous Beta. Now I kinda get gaps that even the names below the thumbnails don't show for a few seconds before they all appear as complete. I hit "Select Random Game" almost all the time because I really like that feature, so I don't know if that might be the case or not. I would think it would kinda make it harder to get everything to show up together with the thumbnails, name, and details at once.

In all honesty, this makes zero sense lol. What betas are you referring to specifically? I think you must just be comparing the situation of images having been already cached vs. images that still need cached.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

In all honesty, this makes zero sense lol. What betas are you referring to specifically? I think you must just be comparing the situation of images having been already cached vs. images that still need cached.

Sorry..I basically mean it's still loading up weird in the regular LaunchBox update, but seemed better in the previous. The cached images part might be the thing. I forgot to add that even though the whole thing buffers and stretches over the Windows 10 toolbar, it doesn't seem to go unresponsive and crash with an error as it used to. Again I apologize for the confusion. Wish there was a better way of showing what happens with mine though.

14 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Sorry..I basically mean it's still loading up weird in the regular LaunchBox update, but seemed better in the previous. The cached images part might be the thing. I forgot to add that even though the whole thing buffers and stretches over the Windows 10 toolbar, it doesn't seem to go unresponsive and crash with an error as it used to. Again I apologize for the confusion. Wish there was a better way of showing what happens with mine though.

Are you referring to the official release or the betas?

Both the Betas on LaunchBox and LaunchBox.Next. I posted some Images relating to my issues with LaunchBox.Next too. Like I don't know if it's my PC's fault or if there are a few things that maybe need fixed within the Apps themselves. Just felt best to address it I can so things can be as perfect as can be. I think my Issues with regular LaunchBox would have to be shown better in video format so you get an idea of how long things go for and at what rate until they get somewhat unresponsive and all that.

Edited by RULLUR

13 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Both the Betas on LaunchBox and LaunchBox.Next. I posted some Images relating to my issues with LaunchBox.Next too. Like I don't know if it's my PC's fault or if there are a few things that maybe need fixed within the Apps themselves. Just felt best to address it I can so things can be as perfect as can be. I think my Issues with regular LaunchBox would have to be shown better in video format so you get an idea of how long things go for and at what rate until they get somewhat unresponsive and all that.

Oic, it gets really confusing when talking about LaunchBox vs. LaunchBox.Next in the official release vs. the betas lol. Any issues in regular LaunchBox should really be brought up in another thread; also, regular LaunchBox hasn't changed in quite a while so we probably won't be changing much over there at all, since .Next will be replacing it soon.

Now that that's covered, what were you bringing up that applies to .Next in the latest betas? Can you be specific?

Okay..well as far as Next goes I'm having trouble with everything loading up all the way as you seen in the 2 Images I posted. Either I get gaps or the details take almost forever to change with the selected game. Also some thumbnails even without cover art included don't have the same size as if the title is way too long and appears as if the thumbnail shrinks with every length in the game's title.

2 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Okay..well as far as Next goes I'm having trouble with everything loading up all the way as you seen in the 2 Images I posted. Either I get gaps or the details take almost forever to change with the selected game. Also some thumbnails even without cover art included don't have the same size as if the title is way too long and appears as if the thumbnail shrinks with every length in the game's title.

I see. Remind me what kind of hardware you're running? How long are you waiting for things to load up?

Per the titles causing the images to shrink, that is by design and I recognize that it can be an issue when viewing super small boxes. That said, you could certainly adjust the font to compensate. I am planning on providing some more options there though soon.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. Remind me what kind of hardware you're running? How long are you waiting for things to load up?

Per the titles causing the images to shrink, that is by design and I recognize that it can be an issue when viewing super small boxes. That said, you could certainly adjust the font to compensate. I am planning on providing some more options there though soon.

HP i3-6100U with 8GB of Memory on Windows 10. It takes maybe up to 5Mins or so before the Selected Game's Details switch over to the one it's currently on instead of hanging to one way before. Like if I keep going Random after Random it stays there until I stop and wait a while before it changes the Details

Edited by RULLUR

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, I'll do some more testing on lower-end hardware to see if there's anything I can do to improve performance there.

Thanks Jason..You Rock! Just hopes this helps more than overwhelms the process. I use this on everything including GPD Win after all

• Like 1

Alright, 8.4-beta-5 is out:

I've fixed a number of things as noted in the above thread. Here's what's left:

• Custom spacing options (with # of text lines too)
  • Controller support
  • Music playback
  • Sidebar resizing randomly
  • Box customization options (colors, placement, visibility, etc.)
  • Mouse cursor popup options
  • Occasional multi-select issues (games are not unselected on rare occasions)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Playlists still aren't sorted properly on my end :( Definitely updated to the latest beta too 

What is your playlist's sort by setting set to? How is it being sorted when you view it? Are you using the boxes view or the list view?

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

What is your playlist's sort by setting set to? How is it being sorted when you view it? Are you using the boxes view or the list view?

It's sorted by Manual and in the settings they're all in the right order but they don't appear that way in LaunchBox.Next. I'm using Boxes View

I've attached images of the issue if that helps things. As you can see from normal LaunchBox I've sorted all my LEGO games so Batman/Marvel/Star Wars are together plus everything else. In .Next they're all over the place despite the settings themselves being retained. 

LaunchBox Next.png

LaunchBox.png

Playlist Settings.png

15 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

It's sorted by Manual and in the settings they're all in the right order but they don't appear that way in LaunchBox.Next. I'm using Boxes View

I see. It's apparently the Manual sort that's not working properly, though everything else is. Thanks for the details. :)