LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox.Next Missing Features Thread

Jason Carr

Not sure if this has been reported before, but I think I've found a memory issue. By just randomly selecting games in a playlist view (mine was populated by only 15 items) I ran out off free memory rapidly. And starting a game doesn't seem to free it up, only quiting the application.  (Launchbox Next 8.4-beta 5 / Windows 7)

launchbox_next_mem_issue.jpg

Edited by shadowfire

On 6/21/2018 at 11:42 AM, shadowfire said:

Not sure if this has been reported before, but I think I've found a memory issue. By just randomly selecting games in a playlist view (mine was populated by only 15 items) I ran out off free memory rapidly. And starting a game doesn't seem to free it up, only quiting the application.  (Launchbox Next 8.4-beta 5 / Windows 7)

launchbox_next_mem_issue.jpg

I've been monitoring RAM usage carefully and haven't been able to replicate this at all, but I haven't done much testing on Windows 7. I'll have to go back to that once we near the end of .Next development here soon.

Just put out another beta folks:

Fixed a bunch of stuff and added music playback and a volume control.

Down to five items left:

• Custom spacing options (with # of text lines too)
  • Controller support
  • Box customization options (colors, placement, visibility, etc.)
  • Mouse cursor popup options
  • Game details translations wrong language in some cases/places

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I've been monitoring RAM usage carefully and haven't been able to replicate this at all, but I haven't done much testing on Windows 7. I'll have to go back to that once we near the end of .Next development here soon.

Thanks for considering the issue. I've done some additional testing, on my system it seems that most memory increase happens when selecting (newer) Windows games. MAME, Vice and DOSBox games hardly have an impact. (Hope this helps)

Edited by shadowfire

Playlist and Game Details bug is definitely fixed now thankyou.

I have now noticed there is no scroll bar btw. personally not an issue for me usually but my mouse wheel is on it's way out so I just noticed. Presume it's intentional? I do like the clean look, but thought I'd point that out. 

I can suggest the possibility to disable the start of the games by double clicking on the images of these (sometimes the games I start without hesitation because I click bad on these), maybe you can insert a button / something in the lower right corner of the game box. I would also suggest the possibility to disable the preview of the details of the details together or separately with the color change (again in the details of the games) of the highlighted image that will be displayed. Moreover if you choose not to activate the automatic video playback, you have the possibility to have a preview image of the videos (many videos start with a black screen and it is not visually pleasing to see a black box in case of non-automatic re-production).
Thanks!

Edited by Colorman3605

On 6/29/2018 at 2:26 AM, Colorman3605 said:

I can suggest the possibility to disable the start of the games by double clicking on the images of these (sometimes the games I start without hesitation because I click bad on these), maybe you can insert a button / something in the lower right corner of the game box. I would also suggest the possibility to disable the preview of the details of the details together or separately with the color change (again in the details of the games) of the highlighted image that will be displayed. Moreover if you choose not to activate the automatic video playback, you have the possibility to have a preview image of the videos (many videos start with a black screen and it is not visually pleasing to see a black box in case of non-automatic re-production).
Thanks!

Some good suggestions for options here, but this thread is specifically for features that are not in .Next that *are* in OG LaunchBox. Our current focus is making sure that .Next is feature-complete.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:46 AM, Solo187 said:

launchbox.next no longer allows playing of .sid files for music. I could reallly do with this feature back as i spent weeks adding the sid music to the individual games!

Wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. ;)

I'll see if there's anything I can do about it.

Alright folks, new beta is out with lots of new options to handle how boxes are displayed:

image.thumb.png.6a2ea5e31017a29cb4318f515fea3c7f.pngThis should allow you to make .Next look a lot more like the OG LaunchBox if desired, line up the text on the bottom, make all the backgrounds the same color, etc.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. ;)

I'll see if there's anything I can do about it.

Yes, it also allows the use of Amiga mods & Nes nsf's as music. Possibly other formats but  those are the ones ive tested. How did you not know? Lol. Its a great feature!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Mine just got so Unresponsive that even Task Manager couldn't close it. Gonna Restart my PC in hopes things better though

LaunchBox 7-6-18 001.PNG

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice last night. Im going to report it in the beta thread though as this thread isnt for bugs.

19 hours ago, JOHN30011887 said:

Will there be option to get rid of the developer name of each game from under the title?

Also will we be able to align the text to the middle instead its over to the left atm

I will look into adding those options, yes.

10 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Mine just got so Unresponsive that even Task Manager couldn't close it. Gonna Restart my PC in hopes things better though

LaunchBox 7-6-18 001.PNG

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice last night. Im going to report it in the beta thread though as this thread isnt for bugs.

Were you guys experiencing any of these issues before the latest beta?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Were you guys experiencing any of these issues before the latest beta?

No it only started happening after i updated last night for me, i assumed its related somehow to the change in the options layout with the new Legacy/Boxes layout, but you will no better than i. :) 

• Like 1