Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Lordmonkus

Poll Results

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, dmjohn0x said:

It was a selling feature of the 360/ps3 generation

I really don't believe it was a selling feature but I do know people like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

I really don't believe it was a selling feature but I do know people like them.

I mean, for some it was, I remember people using it as a selling point for 360 until Playstation added trophy support. And I knew people who specifically bought some games because they had more achievement  point per dollar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I like achieves a lot at first on Steam and the like, but lost interest quickly when they started giving you achieves for simply playing the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone bought a console just because of achievements then that is just ridiculous to me. Buy the system for the games you want to play and if it has achievements and you care about that then great, it's a nice nice bonus, not the main feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sorry if i missed something but "Control Definitions with Overlays/Icons"  means we would be able to set controls for emulator, or just pre-created images for controls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 1:15 AM, quaigoner said:

Im sorry if i missed something but "Control Definitions with Overlays/Icons"  means we would be able to set controls for emulator, or just pre-created images for controls?

Images for controls is what it meant originally. Unfortunately we'll probably never try and configure controls for all of the emulators; that would require different code for each and every emulator, and it'd be quite a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Images for controls is what it meant originally. Unfortunately we'll probably never try and configure controls for all of the emulators; that would require different code for each and every emulator, and it'd be quite a mess.

would it be possible to place a picture and configure it with Button Pressings? so there is a NES Controller and you klick on the A Button on this Picture and press the Controller Button you will use or vice versa? so Photoshop Guys can build some nice pictures and with a logic in LB/BB we can assign the buttons and will get the same result? it would also be possible to use whatever picture from google if we do not find a nice pic within LB/BB Download Area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to manuals in the pause screen, can you also add additional documents (Guides, Maps, Cheat codes and so on)? I'm still using Rocketlauncher for my Pause menus. Aside from a quick demo I saw on youtube, I have no idea what the Launchbox Pause menu can and cannot do. Can it be customized? Does it work for every system including PC games? Maybe a better, more in depth tutorial should be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Styphelus said:

In addition to manuals in the pause screen, can you also add additional documents (Guides, Maps, Cheat codes and so on)? I'm still using Rocketlauncher for my Pause menus. Aside from a quick demo I saw on youtube, I have no idea what the Launchbox Pause menu can and cannot do. Can it be customized? Does it work for every system including PC games? Maybe a better, more in depth tutorial should be next.

You should be able to add them as additional apps and have them show up. I added Cheat Codes to some games in pdf format documents (need to be pdf to work) and labeled as such and it shows up in my pause menu as an option.

Capture.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Retro808 said:

You should be able to add them as additional apps and have them show up. I added Cheat Codes to some games in pdf format documents (need to be pdf to work) and labeled as such and it shows up in my pause menu as an option.

Capture.JPG

How did you add the controls image? Is there a way to have it show that image, but fallback on another image type if the controls aren't available? The current theme I am working on has

<Image Source="{Binding Platform.DeviceImagePath}"

, would it be possible to fall back to that if no controller image is present? 

Edited by Omen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Omen said:

How did you add the controls image? Is there a way to have it show that image, but fallback on another image type if the controls aren't available? The current theme I am working on has


<Image Source="{Binding Platform.DeviceImagePath}"

, would it be possible to fall back to that if no controller image is present? 

I believe the default pause screen shows them by default on the "Arcade" platforms.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Omen said:

How did you add the controls image? Is there a way to have it show that image, but fallback on another image type if the controls aren't available?

Jason did add it to the default theme. He created a specific arcade.xaml so non arcade system will point to box image and arcade system will point to the Arcade Control image Path. I just edited the theme to alter the look a little and make the image larger.  

Basically you just need to have a theme point to that folder in the code.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I believe the default pause screen shows them by default on the "Arcade" platforms.

 

17 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Jason did add it to the default theme. He created a specific arcade.xaml so non arcade system will point to box image and arcade system will point to the Arcade Control image Path. I just edited the theme to alter the look a little and make the image larger.  

Basically you just need to have a theme point to that folder in the code.

Awesome, thank you guys! I switched to a custom theme but never thought to check the default theme for improvements.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

would it be possible to place a picture and configure it with Button Pressings? so there is a NES Controller and you klick on the A Button on this Picture and press the Controller Button you will use or vice versa? so Photoshop Guys can build some nice pictures and with a logic in LB/BB we can assign the buttons and will get the same result? it would also be possible to use whatever picture from google if we do not find a nice pic within LB/BB Download Area.

I can see this being useful, but it's a huge can of worms, and I can see the requests explode out of control just over this one feature. So I think the best solution for this is to just use images like we are currently doing and allow people to use a separate app to generate them. I'm sure something like that has to already exist out there somewhere...so all LaunchBox really needs to do is display the images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

I can see this being useful, but it's a huge can of worms, and I can see the requests explode out of control just over this one feature. So I think the best solution for this is to just use images like we are currently doing and allow people to use a separate app to generate them. I'm sure something like that has to already exist out there somewhere...so all LaunchBox really needs to do is display the images.

I understand your point and position. my concern is that we will get more and more features that only covers the pro users and not the old "LB/BB for every one" audience. even the loading / exit screens is hard to maintain for me and I never will try to start the pause feature. don't get me wrong these are killer features but to maintain or at least activate it as it it currently I do not get the out of the box / it works feeling anymore like importing games with the Database behind it which was the reason why LB/BB was getting more and more popular.

about the controller screens: this only means we can use pictures someone is doing sharing for all in hope it fits with the wish everyone might have. or you have photoshop (or similar apps) experiences and do it by yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chris Kant said:

I understand your point and position. my concern is that we will get more and more features that only covers the pro users and not the old "LB/BB for every one" audience. even the loading / exit screens is hard to maintain for me and I never will try to start the pause feature. don't get me wrong these are killer features but to maintain or at least activate it as it it currently I do not get the out of the box / it works feeling anymore like importing games with the Database behind it which was the reason why LB/BB was getting more and more popular.

about the controller screens: this only means we can use pictures someone is doing sharing for all in hope it fits with the wish everyone might have. or you have photoshop (or similar apps) experiences and do it by yourself.

Those features aren't as easy to work with because it's impossible to make them so. I refused to tackle them for years and years for that exact reason. It's not possible to make them stupid easy, because they're not features that you can tackle without hacks. Our approach is not changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...