LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

3 minutes ago, cleverest said:

How do you guys find the retroarch implementation of Dreamcast reicast to be compared to the latest standalone DEMUL?  That is what I’ve been using for a long time.

I dont use reicast as it doesnt support CHD's and that is what my DC games are in. I am mostly using standalone redream these days, while still using demul for the windows ce games as redream doesnt support those yet.

https://redream.io/

Anyway the beta thread isnt the place for regular discussions. :) 

A few minor issues:

-After the new spacing update it seems that the subline is cut off on two lined titles when "Align Text Vertically" is selected. (default Spacing settings)

-It seems that legacy option Theme->Features->Colorize background Fade hasn't been implemented. (Having background art colorized by the theme was a nice feature imo.)

Btw. I haven't tested thoroughly but I think the memory issue I reported a few weeks ago is fixed now :) (LB eating up memory when randomly selecting games on Windows 7.)

launchbox_next_subline.jpg

Edited by shadowfire
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, shadowfire said:

A few minor issues:

-After the new spacing update it seems that the subline is cut off on two lined titles when "Align Text Vertically" is selected. (default Spacing settings)

You can fix that subline issue by adjusting the option for "text spacing". The lower the value the closer it brings the text to the game image pulling it away from the bottom of the box frame

Capture.JPG

Text_Fixed.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

You can fix that subline issue by adjusting the option for "text spacing". The lower the value the closer it brings the text to the game image pulling it away from the bottom of the box frame

That seems to work for now, thanks :) Playing with that value I think the box has some kind of height limit; the higher I set the value the more text is clipped off.

Edited by shadowfire

It got little better now but still the gap is huge. (see red arrow) (trying turn off and on options like Align text vertically , only thing changes i have bigger boxes around.1.thumb.jpg.3f2d6c6516117f9ab2c72340fc540350.jpg3.thumb.jpg.fabcf927d60627187346d274a7560caf.jpg

As you can see on picture i use steam banner as cover for games , i set all to zero (too bad i cant insert negative values) with text lines to 2 and aspect ratio 1.00 (with more ratio images are closer but much bigger , notice : images are put to smallest size possible)

And now original LB (only difference here is ratio 1:45 but even on 1:00 no gap)

2.thumb.jpg.26c83277d8a89df1243de7ed19aa94fb.jpgThank you for suggestions. Maybe in full version it will work more closer to original version

@Jason Carr I see a small translation bug, 'spacing' is in Dutch. If you fixed this one and the right click menu in the left panel it'll be 100% fixed, at least I don't know how it works in the program language, hope you don't have to fix it all for every language :o Keep up the amazing work, .Next rules!!!

spacing.png

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Hey @Jason Carr I understand that this is probably low priority because it doesn't affect many of us.

The EmuMovies guys mentioned that the EmuMovies https file download change would be coming pretty soon on LaunchBox. Do you expect this to come in a beta this cycle, or are you expecting afterward? Just trying to figure out my plans.

Thanks.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:14 PM, Jason Carr said:

Since we're so close to getting rid of OG LaunchBox, I think I'm gonna just leave it the same and once OG LaunchBox is replaced then we'll be good to go (as opposed to having to switch it and then switch it back). I'm tempted to do something to push users on the upcoming official release to use Next instead of OG though. Not sure what we'll do, but I'm thinking about it.

I was going to be a die-hard OG LB klingon, but the thing that tempted me to use Next full time was the clicking of a game icon, or right clicking a game icon and the reaction being almost instantaneous, whereas there was always a slight delay with OG LB.

That's not a criticism of good old OG LB. It is what it is.

• Like 1

Jason with the current beta i am having real trouble getting into the options in .NEXT again. Its the same issue i posted about a few days ago but seemed to go away in the previous beta for the most part. The current beta though it is happening again and on a regular basis. I have had .NEXT crash at least 10 times today while trying to get into options. Its the same as before also, no Launchbox error at all just a generic program not responding after the program freezes and i click somewhere.

Here is a video of what i am talking about.

@Jason Carr The issue I mentioned earlier with Next freezing up on exit from Mame also does it with PC games. Mame was easy fix keeping video on openGL, but still unsure in testing why that affected only Next (OG LB and BigBox did not have the issue). After testing a bunch of pc games I see the issue happening with several pc games. About 18 of the 30 I have installed. A few, if I knock out of fullscreen, work fine and when exiting Next does not freeze up. Most, even that does not help. Still with the pc games only Next has the issue (BigBox and Original do not freeze).

This is probably something that will only affect a few and will be hard to replicate.

Would it be a simple enough addition/request to accommodate to allow filtering out of the ALL GAMES view any files that end with a certain EXTENSION?  I know LB is not really created for Magazines and Comics, but I do have those in my collection, and would love the option of simply not having them show up in the all games listing...not to mention people who import films..

For example, if they end in .CBR, .CBZ or .PDF

Edited by cleverest

When nesting is finally added is when I'm going to add my comics but it is going to be its own separate build just for comics no games included. I hate to say it but I really doubt you will get any love on this as the program is focused on games only with all suggestions of other media being add pretty much snubbed by all official channels and while yes the program supports any type of files really I know from my and others past request for other media that you are not likely to get any support on this one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

When nesting is finally added is when I'm going to add my comics but it is going to be its own separate build just for comics no games included. I hate to say it but I really doubt you will get any love on this as the program is focused on games only with all suggestions of other media being add pretty much snubbed by all official channels and while yes the program supports any type of files really I know from my and others past request for other media that you are not likely to get any support on this one.

I do have a seperate build for comics *mostly, I've just kept video game related magazines and comics in this collection. That's too bad.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, Dan said:

Good re. the spacing being implemented. I would suggest however that having settings for vertical and horizontal "spacing" as well as "padding" is somewhat confusing. It is not clear on what the difference is, and on adjusting them it remained unclear. I wonder if a single setting would be easier to use?

Also, I think that being able to set box size (and ideally spacing) settings per platform would be really helpful.

Yeah, it's a more advanced feature anyways, so hopefully people can figure it out by experimentation if they don't understand the verbiage. Setting the aspect ratio at least on a per-platform basis is planned for a future release.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:18 PM, Suhrvivor said:

I just noticed that when you select a game in next, the cover zooms in a little.

Is that new?

Just the result of spacing settings that make the boxes run out of room for the selection bar.

On 7/19/2018 at 4:00 PM, dragon57 said:

OK, this is a weird one I almost didn't catch. It appears the 'All' platform category does not save the Image Group selection. When I click on 'All', it uses the Image Group from the previous Platform.

I hope I am explaining this well enough. This is in .Next, btw.

This is normal behavior for both OG and .Next. If there's no platform selected, it will just resume using whatever the last image group was. It's been this way for a long time, though I agree that there are probably better ways to do it. For the future, I'm thinking of reverting to the default image group instead.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:07 AM, Tromzy said:

I still get this bug where my mouse pointer gets pushed to the right sometimes when a controller is plugged in with latest beta ; plus, if I try to launch a Dreamcast rom (Reicast OIT core with Retroarch), Retroarch does not launch.

This is caused by some sort of a stray controller. Try unchecking "Use All Controllers" or unplugging any controllers that might be causing the issue.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:36 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Double check your Associated Platforms window of your Retroarch emulator, I just checked mine and the Sega Dreamcast platform was missing though I am not sure if it was there or not. I have been messing around with a fresh and clean install so it is quite possible I didn't have it setup to use RA.

It could be a bug though that removed the Sega Dreamcast Associated Platform for Retroarch, it would be strange if it was but I have seen weirder.

Yeah, there's not really any possibility that .Next would have a bug launching Retroarch at this point, unless it's a bug that's been there in OG LaunchBox for a long time. Primarily because the code that launches games hasn't changed.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, shadowfire said:

A few minor issues:

-It seems that legacy option Theme->Features->Colorize background Fade hasn't been implemented. (Having background art colorized by the theme was a nice feature imo.)

Btw. I haven't tested thoroughly but I think the memory issue I reported a few weeks ago is fixed now :) (LB eating up memory when randomly selecting games on Windows 7.)

launchbox_next_subline.jpg

On 7/20/2018 at 10:06 AM, shadowfire said:

That seems to work for now, thanks :) Playing with that value I think the box has some kind of height limit; the higher I set the value the more text is clipped off.

You can change the aspect ratio setting to allow for more space.