LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr - Just noticed a bug in the current beta.

When games in LB.Next are sorted by Star Rating, games that do in fact have community ratings (and even a substantial number of them) do not display those ratings in the text under the boxart / game tile.

If you look at my example, SNES Legend of Zelda has 298 community votes and a rating of 4.74. The game tile on the left displays no community rating whatsoever. This appears to be a common problem with other titles as well.

Thanks,

GG

snap310.jpg

• Like 1

@Jason Carr a little thing i have just noticed in .Next. If you change the font size in the side bar the boxes for search and the sorting dropdown dont scale in size to match, so the text gets cut off. Text seems to be OK everywhere else when you change font size its just the sidebar that isnt playing ball.

313347112_Screenshot(280).thumb.png.54e1c4176183f6edce02e166c06bb295.png

• Like 1

Something else I have noticed that could be improved - if you are browsing games with videos in Launchbox Next and you choose to play the music, then the music plays but the video sounds keep playing too and so they overlap. When you click play on the music, perhaps the video should pause? Also, some kind of progress bar/indicator for the music would be great.

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 4:15 AM, neil9000 said:

@Jason Carr a little thing i have just noticed in .Next. If you change the font size in the side bar the boxes for search and the sorting dropdown dont scale in size to match, so the text gets cut off. Text seems to be OK everywhere else when you change font size its just the sidebar that isnt playing ball.

313347112_Screenshot(280).thumb.png.54e1c4176183f6edce02e166c06bb295.png

I've actually had this fixed for a while, but haven't put out a beta because I'm still trying to resolve the freezing issues.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:41 AM, Dan said:

Something else I have noticed that could be improved - if you are browsing games with videos in Launchbox Next and you choose to play the music, then the music plays but the video sounds keep playing too and so they overlap. When you click play on the music, perhaps the video should pause? Also, some kind of progress bar/indicator for the music would be great.

Yeah, agreed. We can come back to this at some point.

• Like 1

Calling all beta testers: please let me know if you are experiencing freezes/crashes of any kind with .Next, and where. I've been wracking my brain trying to fix the freezes when launching games as of late, but the problem is that it's so difficult to replicate, and every time I think I have a solution I can't replicate the original issue. It also seems to be machine-specific. Any details anyone has on how to replicate crashes or freezes is appreciated. I also have a test build I can send over to further help if you're interested.

Per the crashes when launching games, I do have two additional immediate questions:

• Does the crash happen when the window is NOT maximized? (resize it to be a small part of the screen)
  • Does the crash only happen when the screen resolution is changed?

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:
  • Does the crash happen when the window is NOT maximized? (resize it to be a small part of the screen)
  • Does the crash only happen when the screen resolution is changed?

Yes to both of these. I can elaborate more on how I can replicate my issue. I did give details earlier in this thread but can repost if you want. Mame and some PC games are where I see the issue with freezing. If I minimize Next from fullscreen in Mame no issue. On some pc games if I change the resolution before closing to something lower no issue. 

I can try out the test build on my set-up. 

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Yes to both of these. I can elaborate more on how I can replicate my issue. I did give details earlier in this thread but can repost if you want. Mame and some PC games are where I see the issue with freezing. If I minimize Next from fullscreen in Mame no issue. On some pc games if I change the resolution before closing to something lower no issue. 

I can try out the test build on my set-up. 

Okay, thanks. So you've confirmed that it *only* happens when the resolution is changed? What do you mean by "minimize Next from fullscreen in MAME"?

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, thanks. So you've confirmed that it *only* happens when the resolution is changed? What do you mean by "minimize Next from fullscreen in MAME"?

If I have Next in fullscreen and it freezes, if I hit the task bar icon to shrink it from view then click it again to bring it back up it unfreezes. If I keep Next in a window smaller than fullscreen the issue does not occur at all. 

For the resolution part on a pc game that it might occur on if the game is set to say 1920x1080 if I change it to 1600x900 before closing the game I will not get the issue. 

If I have Next in fullscreen and it freezes, if I hit the task bar icon to shrink it from view then click it again to bring it back up it unfreezes. If I keep Next in a window smaller than fullscreen the issue does not occur at all. 

Ah, glad I asked for confirmation, because I misunderstood the first time. So the crash only happens when maximized for you, and minimizing it makes it work again.

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What about the change in resolution? Does it happen only when the resolution is changed?

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

What about the change in resolution? Does it happen only when the resolution is changed?

If I have a pc game set to say 1920x1080, launch it, close it Next will freeze. If I launch the game at say 1920x1080 then just before closing change to a lower res like 1600x900 then close the game Next does not freeze. This one though is not replicated every time. It is like 50/50. The issue mentioned with Mame I can replicate every time. 

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If I have a pc game set to say 1920x1080, launch it, close it Next will freeze. If I launch the game at say 1920x1080 then just before closing change to a lower res like 1600x900 then close the game Next does not freeze. This one though is not replicated every time. It is like 50/50. The issue mentioned with Mame I can replicate every time. 

I see; what is your desktop resolution?

@Jason Carr 1920x1080 on the 2 machines with the issue. I do not bother with 4k much on the arcade machines. I can test a 4k if you would like. 

Gotcha, thanks. I really appreciate it. Don't worry about testing 4K. I'm going to put together a test build for you test, if you can, to see if it fixes the issue. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

I have this problem intermittently too. For what it’s worth, I use a 4K screen so would be keen that it all works in 4K! 

Lately I've tended to not install the betas and wait for official releases. But, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to upgrade to the latest beta to test out LB.NEXT.  Very nice indeed.  I switched to it as my main LB desktop version instead of the old LB version.  Speed is great, functionality is great, so far for me anyway it's been bug free.  Great job Jason, can't wait to see what's next (pun intended) :)

Edited by CDBlue
  • Like 1