LaunchBox Community Forums

8.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

@Jason Carr Damn, sorry bro but the issue returned, Arrange by is now in Dutch again. I really hate to keep bringing you this news on the matter, hope it won't take you too much work, for me this issue is no problem though. See the screenshot, edit, in case you where unaware, check out amount of games in the below bar, it's also in dutch.

1.thumb.png.2020ea74edcefcdd8f9de427b5f311b7.png

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

A user posted a issue in another thread that i also experienced myself last night @Jason Carr.

For me it happened when clicking options in the tools menu and happened to me twice. What happened is i clicked tools and then options, upon clicking options all the options in the tools menu greyed out and the program hung and enlarged to fill the screen and hide my taskbar, i had to ctrl-alt-delete. However like the other user end tasking didnt close the program, at least not initially. I waited about 30 seconds and it still didnt close so i end tasked again at which point i got the exact same image the user posted in the thread linked above, with that weird little box on top of the window before it finally closed. I then re-opened Launchbox and the exact same thing happened again.

Third start seemed to be the charm and i was able to get into the options that time. Im not really sure what happened Launchbox didnt throw any errors at all even a windows "program has stopped responding" one, it was only when i got into task manager that i had any indication that the program was not responding.

Edit: 

This just happened again, and it was by going to options again, this time i did get a program not responding error  but still had to end task twice as it wasn't killed on first attempt, and i grabbed some shots this time.

Screenshot (169).png

Screenshot (171).png

Screenshot (173).png

Screenshot (174).png

Edited by neil9000
Added pics from the issue i just caught again.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shadowfire said:

Great work Jason :) Is it also possible to have the default Game details 'No game selected' box inherit some of the settings (box opacity, UI color) so it matches the theme? Imho the black box is a bit jarring to look at on lighter themes.

Btw. I'm not sure if scrollbar colorization is working? (I have the checkbox checked in 'Features'.)

launchbox_next.thumb.jpg.3e621a2b100c9cd0ce4ba137dd05a086.jpg

Ah, yes. I think that only happens with the "No Game Selected" stuff. Meant to fix that but forgot; I'll get it done. By the way, I love the way you've themed yours. :)

8 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@Jason Carr Damn, sorry bro but the issue returned, Arrange by is now in Dutch again. I really hate to keep bringing you this news on the matter, hope it won't take you too much work, for me this issue is no problem though. See the screenshot, edit, in case you where unaware, check out amount of games in the below bar, it's also in dutch.

1.thumb.png.2020ea74edcefcdd8f9de427b5f311b7.png

I'll take a look at Arrange By. :)

• Like 1

@Jason Carr So, I looked more into the RetroAchievements icons not appearing in bigbox. I posted about it a few days ago in this thread, and I found out that it is related to LaunchBox.next. When regular LaunchBox caches the retroachievements icons, they show up in BigBox. But when LaunchBox.next caches the icons, they don't show up in BigBox. Just wanted to let you know about this Launchbox.next bug.

EDIT: Turns out clearing the cache folders in the images folder and refreshing all images made it work! Nevermind Jason!

Edited by Mah0uPh0x
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mah0uPh0x said:

@Jason Carr So, I looked more into the RetroAchievements icons not appearing in bigbox. I posted about it a few days ago in this thread, and I found out that it is related to LaunchBox.next. When regular LaunchBox caches the retroachievements icons, they show up in BigBox. But when LaunchBox.next caches the icons, they don't show up in BigBox. Just wanted to let you know about this Launchbox.next bug.

That would somewhat make sense as next uses a different cache folder than OG/Bigbox.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That would somewhat make sense as next uses a different cache folder than OG/Bigbox.

Yeah, but deleting the cache folders and refreshing all my images fixed it. So my problem is solved.

updated to the latest beta and got this error on launch.

Cef can only be initialized once. Use Cef.IsInitialized to guard against this exception.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.4-beta-7
Type:    System.Exception
Site:    Boolean Initialize(CefSharp.CefSettings, Boolean, CefSharp.IBrowserProcessHandler)
Source:  CefSharp.Core

at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettings cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler)
   at ()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.InitializeChromeIfNeeded()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.WelcomeForm..ctor(DataManager manager, Int32 parentWidth, Int32 parentHeight, Int32 parentTop, Int32 parentLeft)
   at (MainForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.MainForm_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

Recent Log:

4:05:40 PM Exception

Lately whenever I open LB to edit a game and add artwork, LB freezes when saving the changes. This only happens when adding artwork, and it only happens once. Task manager can't even close LB after it freezes, and I have to wait a couple of minutes before it finally closes. After the crash if I open LB everything works perfect from then on until I reboot my PC.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, neil9000 said:

While we are on the subject of image caching, should next re cache my images everytime i update it Jason, because it does currently.

No, it shouldn't be. However there are many other things that do provoke re-populating the cache, such as simply changing the box size slider or changing the image type (if it hasn't been previously cached). Windows DPI changes can also cause it. It really doesn't make much sense for it to be happening on every update, but I could be missing something. My testing isn't showing this.

On 7/8/2018 at 6:18 AM, kmoney said:

@Jason Carr I am not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet with Next, but the total game count at the bottom with all games selected appears to be incorrect and it is correct with regular LaunchBox.

LaunchBox Next.jpg

LaunchBox.jpg

This is on my list to look into.

12 hours ago, faydesmee said:

Many platforms, some playlist and the Next. exe have deleted themselves.  I didn't do anything special. I just noticed that the Next shortcut stopped working.

Just checked antivirus. It deleted everything after the last update.

I generally check official updates against all popular anti-virus programs, but I can't do the same for each and every beta. Unfortunately these days anti-virus programs are often over-zealous (and useless for that matter). My recommendation has always been to use the built-in Windows Defender anti-virus stuff to avoid unnecessary issues.

3 hours ago, ALIE said:

updated to the latest beta and got this error on launch.

Cef can only be initialized once. Use Cef.IsInitialized to guard against this exception.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.4-beta-7
Type:    System.Exception
Site:    Boolean Initialize(CefSharp.CefSettings, Boolean, CefSharp.IBrowserProcessHandler)
Source:  CefSharp.Core

at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettings cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler)
   at ()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.InitializeChromeIfNeeded()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.WelcomeForm..ctor(DataManager manager, Int32 parentWidth, Int32 parentHeight, Int32 parentTop, Int32 parentLeft)
   at (MainForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.MainForm.MainForm_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

Recent Log:

4:05:40 PM Exception

Thank you; I'll take a look.

57 minutes ago, Omen said:

Lately whenever I open LB to edit a game and add artwork, LB freezes when saving the changes. This only happens when adding artwork, and it only happens once. Task manager can't even close LB after it freezes, and I have to wait a couple of minutes before it finally closes. After the crash if I open LB everything works perfect from then on until I reboot my PC.

I'll take a look.

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

No, it shouldn't be. However there are many other things that do provoke re-populating the cache, such as simply changing the box size slider or changing the image type (if it hasn't been previously cached). Windows DPI changes can also cause it. It really doesn't make much sense for it to be happening on every update, but I could be missing something. My testing isn't showing this.

OK ill keep a eye on it, i did definitely mess with the box size slider after this update so that would explain that one, but i always use the 3D box's so im not changing the image type at all, as i say ill keep a eye on it. Thanks Jason.

• Like 1

Beta 8 is out now with the following:

• New Premium Feature: Platform, playlist, and platform category-specific background music is now available in Big Box! Enable it in the Big Box Sound options and place your music in the LaunchBox\Music\Background\Platforms\[Platform Name], LaunchBox\Music\Background\Playlists\[Playlist Name], and LaunchBox\Music\Background\Platform Categories\[Platform Category Name] folders.
  • Improvement: LaunchBox.Next now obeys the "Colorize Game Dividers" option

• Improvement: LaunchBox.Next now obeys the "Colorize Scrollbars" option

• Improvement: New option in LaunchBox.Next for centering the text

• Improvement: New option in LaunchBox.Next for showing or hiding the subline

• Fixed: Rare Big Box threading null reference errors

• Fixed: Rare splash screen threading error

• Fixed: Rare image format error in Big Box Coverflow

• Fixed: French translation error on deleting games from a playlist

• Fixed: Greek translation error in Add/Edit dialog

• Fixed: LaunchBox.Next align boxes setting was set incorrectly when clicking the Reset button

• Fixed: Bug with LaunchBox.Next list view selections (was causing Select Random Game to fail and possibly other issues)

• Fixed: LaunchBox.Next Chrome initialization error

• Fixed (hopefully): Arrange by translation bug

• Fixed: LaunchBox.Next incorrect counts in the status bar

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2