LaunchBox Community Forums

Redream Emulator setup

LK236

i paid the $5 for the Upscaling, i know Demul does it too but for most games i have it always freezes on the sega logo. i like the redream for its simplicity but i wish the widescreen was better instead of stretching the image.

Indeed, it's worth supporting if you really love Dreamcast stuff. Personally I am not a big fan of the system and rarely play anything on it but I may end up grabbing a premium copy at some point just to support it in hopes of it becoming the best DC emulator faster.

This are the settings I use:
2018-07-03.thumb.png.7edd021865b08833216846c5da0dc4e6.png
I added the -fullscreen to the command line to make sure games are always launched in fullscreen.

So far I'm not too sold on it, but I might switch if the compatibility is improved. I'm currently using the Redream core in Retroarch as default but is outdated, I can't use the better Reicast core or other emulators because they don't support the chd format (what I have).

• Like 1

The -fullscreen is not necessary since there is an option in the emulator itself to open fullscreen. But as long as both methods work people can use whichever way they prefer.

Yeah, i'm not 100% sold on Redream just yet but if it keeps progressing the way it is I will be using it full time sooner rather than later.

@Suhrvivor I believe Demul supports CHD file formats since the last couple of releases (at least the changenotes says it does - I don't use those so I can't confirm yes or no).   If so, you might want to give the standalone version of Demul a shot and see how it goes.  IMO it's a much better emulator than the older Redream core that's in Retroarch that you mentioned you were using.

Edit: Also, according to Libretro docs, the Reicast cores in retroarch (I assume both the standard and oit versions that are now available in retroarch) also support chd file formats.  https://github.com/libretro/docs/blob/master/docs/library/reicast.md  These have also both been growing in leaps and bounds lately as well.

Edited by CDBlue

5 hours ago, CDBlue said:

@Suhrvivor I believe Demul supports CHD file formats since the last couple of releases (at least the changenotes says it does - I don't use those so I can't confirm yes or no).   If so, you might want to give the standalone version of Demul a shot and see how it goes.  IMO it's a much better emulator than the older Redream core that's in Retroarch that you mentioned you were using.

It does! And it seems to be more accurate than Redream, Tried Ecco the Dolphin in both Redream (standalone + core) and Demul, the former is missing the fog, making distant object pop up really bad. I'm switching to Demul as my new default emulator for this system.

5 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Edit: Also, according to Libretro docs, the Reicast cores in retroarch (I assume both the standard and oit versions that are now available in retroarch) also support chd file formats.  https://github.com/libretro/docs/blob/master/docs/library/reicast.md  These have also both been growing in leaps and bounds lately as well.

Unfortunately, the Reicast core and the standalone version only support an old chd version (v4), not the current one (v5), so if you converted to chd or grabbed a set from the internet in the last 3 years, chances are they won't work at all.

so with this in mind im going to stay with Demul aswell until the Redream emu gets better. 

however i dont know why it does it but when using demul i get this random flux of FPS, with crazy taxi for example its 60 FPS but them its drops to 30 PFS them back to 60, also when i collide to a wall or post it studders

Yeah Redream isn't ready to replace Demul just yet but it is very promising and if it keeps seeing development and improvements it shouldn't be too long before it is the Dreamcast emulator of choice.

2 minutes ago, LK236 said:

with crazy taxi for example its 60 FPS but them its drops to 30 PFS them back to 60

If it's only happening with that game it could very well just be that game having some slight emulator issues in Demul. When an emulator is not 100% you are bound to bound to run into oddball issues with certain games and that sounds like what is happening there. I could be wrong though and I am not sure of any compatibility / known issues list for it to check.

it seems to be with every game i try, Mortal Kombat Gold, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur. they all have a studder. i know the emulation isnt perfect but i thought there would be less studder. even with the resolution at native.