LaunchBox Community Forums

Redream Emulator setup

LK236

actually yeah was just told by one of the devs i need a cpu over 3.0 GHz

Also i forgot to mention im use the old plugin to increase the resolution, that was another issue. using the new plugin works fine but its only at 1x resolution

Edited by LK236

• 3 weeks later...

You could convert over to chd... This saves a lot of space....then use a combination of paid standalone redream and demul with its newer chd plugin. For redream, I recommend the development build and find it to run pretty darn well. Its a combination of the 2. I personally suspect redream will take over demul at its current development pace at some point.

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

• 3 weeks later...

@latin625 I have it running with LaunchBox and Rocketlauncher and it works just fine. Although the RL team does not have an official module out for Redream the one that @Agent47 made over on the RL forums works just fine. The only thing I notice with it is when I exit a game it flashes the ReDream GUI menu screen before exiting but that might could be fixed if you use fade out screens.

http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?5575-Redream-quot-Sega-Dreamcast-Emulator-quot&p=42068&viewfull=1#post42068

39 minutes ago, kmoney said:

The only thing I notice with it is when I exit a game it flashes the ReDream GUI menu screen before exiting but that might could be fixed if you use fade out screens.

I imagine you're using Esc as your exit key which is also the key redream uses to return to the menu.

A lot of emulators use Esc as a key to toggle fullscreen, stop emulation, and/or return to the GUI which can lead to some untidy behavior. I changed my exit key a long time ago due to such conflicts.

Glad to hear the module is working for you otherwise (since the exit thing isn't something I can really control).

1 hour ago, Agent47 said:

I imagine you're using Esc as your exit key which is also the key redream uses to return to the menu.

A lot of emulators use Esc as a key to toggle fullscreen, stop emulation, and/or return to the GUI which can lead to some untidy behavior. I changed my exit key a long time ago due to such conflicts.

Glad to hear the module is working for you otherwise (since the exit thing isn't something I can really control).

Yes I am using the esc as my exit key and that is a good idea to change to a different key to avoid conflicts.

Thanks for the module. 

The problem I have is that when you launch a game via BigBox or Launchbox, it uses Rocketlauncher as the emulator. 

Once it does the rocketlauncher loading screen, it opens up the reDream emulator at the MENU page and not the emulator playing the game.  I can exit without issue.  Every game lands on the MAIN MENU of reDream. 

Any ideas on how to get the game to play and not land on the menu screen of reDream?

Edited by latin625

31 minutes ago, latin625 said:

Thanks for the module. 

The problem I have is that when you launch a game via BigBox or Launchbox, it uses Rocketlauncher as the emulator. 

Once it does the rocketlauncher loading screen, it opens up the reDream emulator at the MENU page and not the emulator playing the game.  I can exit without issue.  Every game lands on the MAIN MENU of reDream. 

Any ideas on how to get the game to play and not land on the menu screen of reDream?

I have not experienced this with the module I posted above. Did you try the module I linked to?

36 minutes ago, latin625 said:

Thanks for the module. 

The emulator only loads to the menu if you don't send a game as a parameter.

Offhand the only thing I can think of that would cause it is having Skip Checks to Rom Only in RLUI (bypassing the rom check) and the rom path being set incorrectly. Post a RL Troubleshooting log on pastebin to the thread you created on the RL forum.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:29 AM, LK236 said:

it seems to be with every game i try, Mortal Kombat Gold, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur. they all have a studder. i know the emulation isnt perfect but i thought there would be less studder. even with the resolution at native.

Demul creates a shader cache for each game it plays. The stutters are the emulator caching the shaders to a folder called "scache" in your Demul folder. Over time, everything will cached up and the stutters will stop.

I've attached my shader cache to this post.

Overwrite your existing "scache" folder with the one inside and see if it makes a difference. There are 10,000 files in there, about 4 years worth :D

scache.7z

Edited by JamesBond@ge

Demul is the king of DC emulators as far as I'm concerned. I've used the thing for about 4 years now and never had a problem with it apart from getting the right BIOS at the start. It has save states, can use 8 memory cards as opposed to Redream only using 4. The memory cards can be set to be a different location other than the emulator folder which makes it a bit more portable for me which you can't do in Redream. I can run it at 1920x1080 for without giving away my Credit Card details. Alt + F4 to quit which I have mapped to my 360 controllers guide button with Controller Companion http://controllercompanion.com/. Redream has tripped over on quite a few DC Indie games too, such as Rush Rush Rally. It refuses to boot it. There are a few others that I forget the name of.

The only real downside to Demul is the shader caching that can cause stutter, but that stops over time, and it doesn't play about 40 Windows CE based games very well. Redream don't play those very well either.

Redream is a good plug and play emulator, but for someone with MORE than a passing interest in the Dreamcast.....it's not there yet.

Thanks for your quick answer. I have just figured out the problem. The games were pointing to the compressed images not the actual CDis. When I changed the Rom file locations, it worked just fine. My mistake actually :P

34 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Just tested the latest version from the website and what I posted back on the first page still works perfectly for me.

Maybe you got 1 of the boxes on the edit emulator window checked and that is interfering.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Team. Completely ignorant on most things emulation related so I need some help. I set up Redream in Launchbox using the info I got form this thread and ETA Prime. When I unzip my game file, it gives me the .gdi and a whole mess of other .bin files. where should i direct the emulator to grab the game?

Just use the .gdi or add them all to a folder and use the folder?

Thanks!