LaunchBox Community Forums

Unified Redux

Unified Redux

View File

Unified Redux is a very slight re-imagining of @CriticalCid's amazing Unified theme, focusing on minor tweaks to improve the experience based on the LaunchBox developer's personal preferences. Changes from the original theme are listed below:

• Rounder wheels
  • Much faster-spinning discs
  • Wheel shadows
  • Videos maintain their aspect ratios
  • Smoother transitions in a few spots
  • Top bar modified to prevent triangle corner overlap issues

Version 1.8 - Released March 26, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Fixed several potential issues due to accidentally using the Unified folder instead of the Unified Redux folder

Version 1.7 - Released March 25, 2019 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.6):

• Removed several unnecessary plugins for functionality now built-in to LaunchBox\Big Box
  • Modified XAML to better support Big Box 9.5/9.6 (solves several minor visual issues, primarily with text lists)

Version 1.6 - Released December 3, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Added a new PrioritizedPathSelector plugin, which helps to ensure that proper images are shown for complicated playlist scenarios (multiple fallback priorities, etc.)

Version 1.5 - Released November 26, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.1):

• Fixed issue with Arcade/MAME playlists not using proper media

Version 1.4 - Released November 15, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Pointer images will now change when entering into nested platforms and categories
  • Year and manufacturer text will no longer show up on platform views when those values don't exist
  • Publisher listed in the game details has been changed to developer, which is more important information to display
  • Developer, genre, and play mode text will no longer show up on game views when those values don't exist
  • Ratings displayed in the game views now show your personal rating instead of the community rating, if you've previously rated the game

Version 1.3 - Released November 12, 2018 (REQUIRES LAUNCHBOX\BIG BOX 9.0):

• Added much better support for the new nested categories and playlists in LaunchBox\Big Box 9.0 (no more black screens) :)

Version 1.2 - Released August 31, 2018:

• Removed Grila's weather plugin. As awesome as it is, it was causing 1-2 second delays loading up every view.

Version 1.1 - Released August 30, 2018:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to @RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.
  • Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)
  • Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.
  • Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.
  • Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

Please note: You will need to completely delete the previous version of the theme before putting in the new version in order to get all the updates (such as removing the Big Box logo and the space-saving JPG files).

Demo Video:

Examples of changes/additions to the 1.1 version of the theme:

1597608936_BallPaddle.thumb.jpg.c20ec34faecba5f9ce3d3317ff660573.jpg1868599061_BeatEmUps.thumb.jpg.a26702b81c2272a76c0230dfdffd3777.jpgPlatform.thumb.jpg.683a9c4c063df96a0d5d1eb402b844eb.jpg1092617485_RunGun.thumb.jpg.ecffa77fd3d366c77e95b639e10df01c.jpg2-Player.thumb.jpg.0463ed10160b0958c5ba2371eec76506.jpgPuzzle.thumb.jpg.2ecb78a8409d77790dbe6a468c4ed93b.jpg

Please see @CriticalCid's original Unified theme for installation and troubleshooting instructions. Requires LaunchBox Big Box 8.0 or greater.

Huge thanks goes out to @CriticalCid for the original theme, as well as the many different Hyperspin contributors who donated their time and talent to build an awesome, cohesive experience:

Gibbawho
@Styphelus
Unknown50862
@Klopjero
Neonrage
@knewlife
@Creloce
Ghostlost https://www.youtube.com/user/GhostlostGames
@ninja2bceen
@THK
adamg
Rkh
Rondar
@scooter1974
Zinger19
Aloner187
@guyverjay
MetalThrix
SophT
Ledgerewskie
hoscarconh https://www.youtube.com/user/hoscarconh
@viking
@RetroHumanoid http://retrohumanoid.weebly.com/

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ALIE said:

Oh yah clever ?

Thanks 

Sure thing Alie. 

Havent tried this theme. If you find where the smoothing update was done, and what is the difference between Jason's top bar and Cid's, please do tell. I am pretty happy with Cid's theme, and don't want to mess with it unless necessary. 

8 hours ago, Kondorito said:

and what is the difference between Jason's top bar and Cid's, please do tell.

Jason just combined the polygon and the border into one polygon.

Original code:

<Viewbox Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Stretch="UniformToFill" >
  <Polygon x:Name="TriangleGlassBar" Points="0,0 45,55 45,0" Stroke="Black" StrokeThickness="0" Fill="Black" Opacity="0.5" />
</Viewbox>
<Border x:Name="UpperGlassBar" Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="1" Grid.ColumnSpan="2" Background="Black" Opacity="0.5" SnapsToDevicePixels="True" RenderOptions.EdgeMode="Aliased" />

New code:

<Viewbox Grid.Row="0" Grid.Column="0" Grid.ColumnSpan="3" Stretch="UniformToFill" >
  <Polygon x:Name="TriangleGlassBar" Points="0,0 45,55 2000,55 2000,0" Stroke="Black" StrokeThickness="0" Fill="Black" Opacity="0.5" />
</Viewbox>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this was asked in Cid's unified thread, but I'll ask it here as well since I'm currently using this version of Unified.  Is there a quick way to slow down the wheel from fading?  I'd like to have it visible for a few more seconds before it fades out.

• 1 month later...

@Jason Carr Is it possible to have the theme show a custom field in the area shown in the pic? I added a custom field to tell my kids if they use the "Joystick" or "GamePad" for a particular game and would love for it to either show here in the main game screen when it scrolls to this data section or at least have it show in the Game Details screen.

Control Method: Joystick

Control Method: GamePad

Untitled90.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 2:41 PM, CDBlue said:

I think this was asked in Cid's unified thread, but I'll ask it here as well since I'm currently using this version of Unified.  Is there a quick way to slow down the wheel from fading?  I'd like to have it visible for a few more seconds before it fades out.

Yes, it should be fairly simple. Look for the "KeyTime" properties; they set the lengths of time.

50 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

@Jason Carr Is it possible to have the theme show a custom field in the area shown in the pic? I added a custom field to tell my kids if they use the "Joystick" or "GamePad" for a particular game and would love for it to either show here in the main game screen when it scrolls to this data section or at least have it show in the Game Details screen.

Control Method: Joystick

Control Method: GamePad

Untitled90.jpg

I'm not sure; I think you might need a plugin of sorts since I'm not sure if you can bind directly to a custom field from the XAML. So unfortunately, it may not be as easy as it should be at this point. Someone may have done that already though; at this point, the amazing theme developers tend to know way more than I do in the XAML. ;)

@eatkinola that would be great if you could take a crack. I just noticed that in the default theme what I am looking for can be done at least. So there is some hope. In the pic the arrow is pointing to the custom field I set. My hopes is the same can show up in the Unified or Unified Redux in the area in the pic from my other post. If spacing is an issue in the Unified Redux theme I would not mind seeing about editing the xaml to remove the publisher info. Or at best just seeing if it can show up in the game details screen if that would be easier.

Untitled91.jpg

On 8/14/2018 at 7:46 PM, Retro808 said:

@eatkinola that would be great if you could take a crack. I just noticed that in the default theme what I am looking for can be done at least. So there is some hope. In the pic the arrow is pointing to the custom field I set. My hopes is the same can show up in the Unified or Unified Redux in the area in the pic from my other post. If spacing is an issue in the Unified Redux theme I would not mind seeing about editing the xaml to remove the publisher info. Or at best just seeing if it can show up in the game details screen if that would be easier.

Untitled91.jpg

1+ for this to be implanted.

I need to show if the game uses controller, wii mote or mouse/keyboard.  Would also be nice if it could show 1-2-3 or 4 player.

1 hour ago, slashguns04 said:

can you convert degrees fahrenheit to celsius?

Yes, the instructions to do this are on Critical Cid's original Unified theme page:

How to change the location and temperature measurement unit for the Weather plugin:

1.    Close BigBox in case you have it opened up
2.    Visit the website http://www.woeidlookup.com/ and search for a location of your choice
3.    Go to the “Plugins” folder inside the Unified theme folder
        Path: “..\LaunchBox\Themes\Unified\Plugins”
4.    Open the “GrilaBBWeather.dll.config” with a text editor of your choice. For example: Notepad
5.    Copy the WOEID from the website and replace the already existing ID in the config file with it
6.    If you want to change the temperature unit from Fahrenheit to Celsius just change the “f” under Units to a “c”
7.    Save the config file and you’re done :)

Note: Step 3's instructions are slightly different for this theme, as the path for this theme would be "...\Launchbox\Themes\Unified Redux\Plugins" instead

Edited by CDBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you all know that I just released version 1.1 of the theme:

• Background images revamped (and in some cases removed) for common platforms in order to increase readability of the wheels and remove JPEG artifacts (many of the Classics playlists had backgrounds with horrible artifacts from Hyperspin). Thanks to RetroHumanoid for many of the new backgrounds.
  • Removed the default Big Box logo for platforms or playlists with no logos. Even we're not that in love with the Big Box logo. ;)
  • Added background fanart images for some playlists that will show up if there are no videos for that playlist; previously the theme was showing a black screen in this case.
  • Reduced the size of the theme by over 350 MB by converting the background images from PNGs to maximum-quality JPGs. There is no perceived quality loss and now the theme is less than half the size.
  • Modified/removed some of the video borders with characters in order to better support the new arcade playlists (some of them were irrelevant to arcade games) and make room for arcade flyer images, which used to half-overlap the characters.

Highly recommended: Modify your "Images" > "3D Box Priorities" settings in LaunchBox to include "Box - Front" and "Advertisement Flyer - Front" images in order to display regular box or arcade flyer images if no 3D box image exists.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...