LaunchBox Community Forums
Krakerman

Krakerman's GameRoom XPerience! Project

Posted (edited)

Here you will find my 4K bezels, instruction cards and marquee project that are for use with RocketLauncher. You can find these available over at Emumovies FTP located here:

/Upload Here/_RocketLauncher Media Submissions/Krakerman/Media/Krakerman's Projects/GameRoom XPerience!/MAME/

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 6

MAME:

Pac-Man (Bally/Midway 1980)

73wRfGN.png

eIERq4D.jpg

without t-molding

TFhsSLm.jpg

with dip switch settings instruction card.

8NvANyv.jpg

• Like 1

Ms.Pac-Man (Bally/Midway 1981)

lWYtCnk.png

rMyBh2a.jpg

with dip switch settings instruction card.

rmbuCfb.jpg

without t-molding.

dqSttd6.jpg

• Like 1

MAME:

Centipede (Atari 1981)

5jT7Hqi.png

1zlMvkB.jpg

with instruction cards:

m9eUwsT.jpg

LEhwTw1.jpg

9lMST7g.jpg

without t-molding:

7o2K4Wm.jpg

• Like 1

MAME:

Root Beer Tapper (Bally/Midway 1984)

wN14R9q.png

0mNoJZU.jpg

with instruction cards:

8kZyMlx.jpg

zN8ngcz.jpg

lzQbBEU.jpg

without t-molding:

GQO2RMw.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

Any chance someone has ported these to be used directly with MAME?

Yes. The RetroFE dev has a setup on EmuMovies FTP that allows you to use these and other bezels from community members without involving RocketLauncher

Posted (edited)

Life Force (Konami 1986)

DMnkroV.png

ghyyglq.jpg

with instruction card:

Twb6FDW.jpg

without t-molding:

Y3cFr6I.jpg

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 3

MAME:

Galaxian (Bally/Midway 1979)

b0iL6Xc.png

HJSSO1k.jpg

with instruction card:

ioetUx2.jpg

without t-molding:

Uyspt7t.jpg

• Like 3

I noticed that none of these are curved bezels, they give the illusion of one with the outside curvature, but the game area is perfectly rectangular. I guess that's your preference? Is there a curved bezel option, or would I have to supply my own bezel and change ini settings to apply a curvature to certain games.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FlightRisk said:

I noticed that none of these are curved bezels, they give the illusion of one with the outside curvature, but the game area is perfectly rectangular. I guess that's your preference? Is there a curved bezel option, or would I have to supply my own bezel and change ini settings to apply a curvature to certain games.

Even if there is a curvature demonstrated by the T-Molding, the bezel would never curve; however, it may be tilted a few degrees e.g. skewed at the top. Is that what you're referring to? 

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

Real machines of that era weren't curved. You can see it on some Arcade flyers...

What I am saying is that the game area is not curved as it is with most other background/bezel/overlay setups I've seen. The screen has no curvature or "bulge effect". And both the bezel and the monitor certainly were curved on the real machines. Since the bezel sat over the monitor, it had to be curved to fit the curve of the screen. It did try to give the effect of a somewhat straight edge looking down at it at just the right angle, but the image on the monitor was "distorted" is what I am trying to say so that the game area was not a perfect rectangle.  With many games, the front glass with art work in a dark arcade hid the bezel anyway. I supposed I could duplicate that by having no bezel and just the glass and an image that floats behind it. I get what you are saying about the trapezoid effect of trying to make it look like the monitor is laying down at an angle behind vertical glass.

I owned a video game arcade throughout the 80's and into the 90's. I owned 30-40 games at any given time that I would sell and buy replacements for as new games came out or old ones stopped making money. I recently sold that last few I had in a garage and kept a Tempest (loved that and Robotron). I am an EE so did all the repairs on those games over the years. So I know what they look like. ;) Maybe my question was poorly worded. My wife is always telling me to be more precise! 

I was just asking what the options were because while I have a few games on my Pi and the PC setup that have curved screens backgrounds, I am not trying to duplicate an imperfect monitor like a lot of people are (screen reflections, scratches, bloom, misaligned convergence). I tend to want it to look as it would look on a perfect CRT. So perfectly flat and rectangular might be fine with saturated colors, not much defocus, and good scanlines/shadow mask. Or I might want some bulge, especially on Pac-Man for some reason. I just like that with its maze lines ;) But I am already losing a lot of game screen area with the fancy bezels, so didn't want to make the image smaller just to give it some curvature. And that defeats the masking effect of a bezel since now you would see the curve of the image does not match the straight framing of the bezel around it. Do you guys prefer the perfectly rectangular?

Using Mame instead of RL, I can layer the background from the bezel, from the monitor image with gray tone and reflections, etc. So it isn't hard to replace just the bezel since it is a separate layer. But it they are all one layer and no one has created a version of the art part, but with a bezel to accommodate the curved screen, I would have to pull it into Photoshop or Gimp to cut it out and replace it. Thanks for your ideas Kevin and Replay!

curved_bezel.png

• Like 1

MAME:

Galaga (Bally/Midway 1981)

bRdWAHA.png

rKtSBsV.jpg

with instruction card:

z4GY8FF.jpg

without t-molding:

azn6tyb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon Krakerman! The instruction cards are just the RocketLauncher cards feature? What it the default button to have them pop up? Great job on these. You can't please everyone, but I would like a mimimalist/thin bezel; perhaps half the width at the top and bottom. Though yours still give a lot more real estate to the game screen compared to Orion's photo-realistic bezels. That said, it really is stunning artwork and I love the instruction card feature. I can't imagine the hours you are putting in on these.

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, Replay said:

Yes. The RetroFE dev has a setup on EmuMovies FTP that allows you to use these and other bezels from community members without involving RocketLauncher

Hey @Replay ... can you post a link or the info i need to insert into my FTP program to find these? I too am looking for non-rocketlauncher bezels for MAME, and these look great. I am a member of Emu, but have yet to try the ftp part; just LaunchBox scraping so far; So I am not sure where to even start looking over there. Thnaks

Edited by ItchyRobot

6 hours ago, ItchyRobot said:

Hey @Replay ... can you post a link or the info i need to insert into my FTP program to find these? I too am looking for non-rocketlauncher bezels for MAME, and these look great. I am a member of Emu, but have yet to try the ftp part; just LaunchBox scraping so far; So I am not sure where to even start looking over there. Thnaks

When you goto the main Emumovies website look at the top under Downloads click on the FTP Details it gives you that info you need.

9 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Afternoon Krakerman! The instruction cards are just the RocketLauncher cards feature? What it the default button to have them pop up? Great job on these. You can't please everyone, but I would like a mimimalist/thin bezel; perhaps half the width at the top and bottom. Though yours still give a lot more real estate to the game screen compared to Orion's photo-realistic bezels. That said, it really is stunning artwork and I love the instruction card feature. I can't imagine the hours you are putting in on these.

Yes instruction cards are a RocketLauncher feature. You can setup whatever keyboard shortcut you want in the RLUI to display the instruction cards.

I am happy you like them! Lots of hours indeed ..... but it is fun!

Posted (edited)

MAME:

Gee Bee (Namco 1978)

tJpEB4j.png

Jud7Uty.jpg

without t-molding:

8AFVXIO.jpg

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 2