LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause Menu

bbweiners

On 7/28/2018 at 7:59 AM, jayjay said:

Here's a vid of @bbweiners pausemenu.

https://youtu.be/otwUdlWrric

I modified his script a little.

https://youtu.be/hVRqSY50WfA

I used a mario theme because its easy to find images that dont need work. Although the images I used arnt great.

My original was supposed to look like this... 

mario.thumb.png.76ae4c7f9ca4a40b919c9ac16449e990.pngWith the black transparent. The buttons are images. But whenever I start the pause menu from within retroarch the buttons are blank, works fine outside retroarch. Also the grey bit around the buttons has to stay there. Otherwise the focus is hidden behind the button image. :( Yeah im not great at themes.

Edit: Forgot to upload the file...

MarioPauseMenu.zip

i like the transparent pause menu more, and Im not great at themes either so when i tried it, it didnt have the question mark blocks in the buttons, and i couldnt find how to adjust the positions of the buttons, since they are not centered. Great job tho.

Edited by ea4492

12 hours ago, ea4492 said:

i like the transparent pause menu more, and Im not great at themes either so when i tried it, it didnt have the question mark blocks in the buttons, and i couldnt find how to adjust the positions of the buttons, since they are not centered. Great job tho.

Yeah the coin block buttons were my original theme. They are images (.bmp) but they wouldn't work inside retroarch. I'll go back to the image buttons at some point. The buttons being in the wrong position, Im working on a theme editor and your be able to move and resize the buttons. Im not smart enough and far to lazy to work out where the button position should be for each size screen. Its easier to code the ability to move buttons then it is to work out all coordinates and sizes.

The theme editor is some way off though. I started again. Instead of writing 4 gui's one at a time for the buttons settings. Iv written 1 gui and used a loop to create the other 3. It seems to be working out well... "so far". It will save me time in the long run but still a while away before I will complete it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post my progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGAz2J0TuU&feature=youtu.be

There is some... lets say caveats. 

For instance...

Getting the video to exactly where u want it is a royal pain in the shitpipe.

The video is just a video in the theme directory. Having the pause menu match the video to the game being played is going to be difficult and a story for another day.

Can only have 1 animated gif. The moving gifs you see on my vid is 2 gifs unpacked and put together.

The moving images... you cant have the images overlap each other otherwise you get this hostile take over effect, where the 2 images cross each other one of the images emerges as the other image. Dont know whats up with that.

With everything you see in the vid, takes roughly 70mb of ram when active. About 50mb when hidden.

There are other things but cant remember at the moment.

Oh whenever I create a script thats hundreds of lines of code, it always crashes on my win7 32bit... so there's that. Will need to test it I guess.

Iv still got to sort out the font, that isnt saving correctly. Iv still got to do options for the saved and loaded screen... which... is... long... and then the hard part of actually getting this to write to the pause menu script and have it work and then lastly make the gui prettier. But yeah... that's it so far. 

@bbweiners have you had the time to test the post I put in the third party thread yet? Could do with knowing if it works for others. If you wanna look over this script let me know. But at the moment nothing is saved when exit.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Its my fault things are going slowly. Life gets in the way. I think i have the theme editor almost complete minus the LB media. Finding a way to pass the media to the correct script is proving difficult for me and my poor c# abilities. 

I'll try post couple of screen shots of where im at later. Iv still got to get editor to save settings etc and make a way for the different emulators to launch the correct pause menu.

Sorry for poor desciption. In a rush, gotta get to work. 

This is for the main window.

Untitled.thumb.png.7d92d870d64adfa7dbafa5b7860035ed.pngThis is for the saved and loaded windows.

Untitled3.thumb.png.59172479b957ec7aa45d2cac4a240775.png

This is for the main window buttons.

Untitled4.thumb.png.caf5936ca292d61786e3ddd3e532cd18.pngWe still got to make the editor more presentable. All the red question marks will have (not done yet)... i suppose you could call them hints of what we come across while making this. I went for 4 moving images. We done this because when image 1 and 2 over lap there is issues, same with image 3 over lapping image 4. But images 1 and 2 can over lap images 3 and 4 without any problems. 

We're at about 20k lines of code. I think we'll work towards the saving the settings stuff next and then launching with different emulators. We'll hold off on the LB media for the time being til I can work a couple of c# things out. So yeah that's where we at.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...