LaunchBox Community Forums

Bsnes-mcfly v106 - can’t fullscreen

Exequiel3k

Hey,

so i’ve finally found a bsnes fork that gives me the benefits of choosing the bsnes performance mode I want, video customizations and including additional updates from higan.. the only issue is I can’t get it to full screen like with higan or bsnes methodes. It’s like it’s not responding to ahk commands... I’ve tried everything possibly imaginable without success (ie  including 

Could anybody please help me out, because this seems like the right bnes out there (for me) and it’s a shame it just won’t respond to simple ahk scripts like the other emulators on board?

Ref: http://www.emu-france.com/emulateurs/5-consoles-de/51-nintendo-super-nintendo-s-nes-s-famicom/7576-bsnes-mcfly/

I am completely stumped on this one. I can get the official builds of Higan, Byuus latest BSnes and other versions of BSnes to fullscreen but this one just doesn't want to play nicely. I tried AHK scripts and stuff but nothing worked, I would suggest contacting the devs maintaining this fork and ask them if there is a way or just use one of the other builds.

I'll try to contact the dev, in the mean time is there a way to elevate this to launchbox devs as well as maybe they could insert some sort of process/parameter/focus into the launching process. I'm very persistant because I really believe this is one of the best bsnes out there, if people take a moment to check it out and see its broadness combined to the benefits of higan…

sent a msg to byuu forums: https://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2061&p=55924#p55924

and https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17377&p=221848#p221848

Edited by Exequiel3k

Well to be perfectly honest this isn't a "Launchbox problem" it's just something that the emulator doesn't allow for, the vast majority of emulators out there either have a command line option or a toggle to set to load in fullscreen. Even Byuus original BSnes and Higan emulators allow for this for most builds and those that don't will allow an AHK script to toggle it "F11".

little update from the dev:

” The automated keyboard script won't work? Interesting. Do you know if it works with the bsnes v106r44 beta? And if it does, I think I might have an idea of what's going wrong with bsnes-mcfly... though the question then becomes “why does it work with bsnes v073 and not bsnes-mcfly?”:The Windows version of bsnes v073 used to come as 3 DLLs and a launcher EXE, where the 3 DLLs correspond to the 3 emulation profiles: bsnes-accuracy.dll, bsnes-compatibility.dll, and bsnes-performance.dll. The DLLs aren't actually dynamic linked libraries; they're really EXE programs disguised as DLLs, and the launcher program is responsible for executing the selected DLL as an EXE. In order to look as much like bsnes v073 as possible, bsnes-mcfly follows the same setup.If you want to, you could rename one of the DLLs to have the “.exe” extension and run it directly. Though if you do, the Settings window's Profiles tab will stop having any effect (with one exception*). This is just a guess, but maybe your keyboard script doesn't take into account launcher programs that invoke other programs, and renaming one of the DLLs to have the “.exe” extension will fix it? If not, then I'm all out of ideas.*bsnes-accuracy.dll actually contains both the Accuracy and Compatibility: OpenMP profiles (bsnes-compatibility.dll contains only the Compatibility: Legacy profile, which is deprecated), and it is possible to switch between them without a full restart; just loading a new game is all that is needed for the profile change to take effect. Switching to or from any other profile really will require a full restart. “

I tried it but still no success, he's still looking into it... 

Edited by Exequiel3k

The dev has solved the problem!

"Here's bsnes-mcfly v106r10 (based on higan/bsnes v106r51). This version restores the missing --fullscreen command line switch. To run a game in fullscreen, simply run the following command, substituting the game's path:"

You can follow the evolution of this build on "http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17377&p=221920#p221920"

Edited by Exequiel3k

Additional inquiry, I've noticed my other scripts don't work when using this emulator.

For example, my screen is suppose to turn black for around 4-5 secs (time it takes for the emulator to launch/load/ adjust display) in order to have a smoother transition via BigBox but it doesn't work at all

gosub screen
screen:
SetTimer, screenoff,-4500
Gui, -Border -Caption +AlwaysOnTop
Gui, color , black
Gui, Show, x0 y0 w%A_ScreenWidth% h%A_ScreenHeight%
return
screenoff:
gui, destroy
return

$RButton::
$Esc::
{
	Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

Even the script to force-close the app doesn't work (I had to go into the emulator settings and assign an exit key). 

Is it normal that not being able to dim the screen isn't working, even if its not related to the emulator per say??

Edited by Exequiel3k