LaunchBox Community Forums
Mr. RetroLust

Arcade Cabinets Project Group

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Antny said:

Just wondering what the end game is here.  Is there a final standard size for such things as free standing cabinets, cockpits, table tops etc.?  Do we just want the as large as the original image?  We are looking for transparent background, no?  How will these be used in Launchbox?  Here are samples of different image packs I've uploaded to the Mame progetta-snaps board.  I've tried to save arcade art on my own lol.  Also doing clear logos to fill in the holes in Launchbox as in.....

I'm looking forward to this once we have it all worked out.

Image1.png

The goal is to provide the entire community with as high quality arcade cabinets as possible all with transparent backgrounds, the max resolution is 2160 pixels vertically (ultra hd). It can then be used in a variety of ways as large as creativity goes. I got the idea of transparent cabs when working on my theme FutureState Neon Deluxe which was released recently, @ETAPRIME explains it perfectly in this just released news update which features publicity for our project which I am very very grateful for btw! :) @Kondorito found a way to partially automize the process of removing backgrounds in great quality. What would be the best way to work is if you can upload your cabinets work to the google drive, I'll reconstruct the database with your work included, after this Kondorito can batch convert the entire updated database, we'll sort out the ones that came out good so we don't have to work on those anymore then we leave the ones that need manual work and we can all pick a folder(s) to work on with a lot less images than what we have now. Personally I think a resolution of around 700 pixels and up (like your work) don't need higher quality versions to be searched although it would be nice of course but the amount of hours could be endless, especially if we work with only a few people. I do plan to keep a dealine of a few months as we could be working for years to come otherwise and I got a lot of other projects to work on as well. 

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Theme looks great.  I will try it out.  Please keep me posted on the Google drive. Thanks

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Antny said:

Theme looks great.  I will try it out.  Please keep me posted on the Google drive. Thanks

I've send you a personal message yesterday about the google drive, could you send me your email address so I can add you to the drive? Then you can add your files and i'll start the reconstruction, if you need any help with any of this please let me know and i'll be happy to help out.

23 minutes ago, Antny said:

PM sent ☺️

I havent recieved it, I've send you a PM as a reply in our past PM's can you respond to that message? Hope it'll work that way.

Just putting this out there, but would it not be better to build these cabinets in 3D and render them out with the artwork and a standard studio lighting setup? 

This way the camera angle and lighting would be the same for all cabinets. The UV texture map layouts could be provided as jpg files for the community so that higher resolution flat artwork can be used to texture the cabinets.

It would be a lot of work initially to build all the cabinets, but once they are done, you just have to work on the flat textures to make sure they are accurate, apply the texture and render it to the resolution you want, and it will automatically have the transparent background.

I'm not very knowledgeable about arcade cabinets, so out of interest, how many different designs are there, and are there assembly plans or measurements for all of them, for building them in 3D, so that they are exactly like the originals?

6 minutes ago, metrodigital said:

Just putting this out there, but would it not be better to build these cabinets in 3D and render them out with the artwork and a standard studio lighting setup? 

This way the camera angle and lighting would be the same for all cabinets. The UV texture map layouts could be provided as jpg files for the community so that higher resolution flat artwork can be used to texture the cabinets.

It would be a lot of work initially to build all the cabinets, but once they are done, you just have to work on the flat textures to make sure they are accurate, apply the texture and render it to the resolution you want, and it will automatically have the transparent background.

I'm not very knowledgeable about arcade cabinets, so out of interest, how many different designs are there, and are there assembly plans or measurements for all of them, for building them in 3D, so that they are exactly like the originals?

It would be a very beautiful result of quality indeed. There are about 3500 photo's from the original cabinets, aside from this amount are probably hundreds of different cabinet models which should all be crafted, if we had a team of 20 professional 3D modelers able to render and model photo-realistically this would be a possibility, although time to find high quality (and make missing artwork) artwork of all cabinets would take a lot of time as well. 

Cutting out a cabinet from it's background in photoshop and such costs anywhere from 20 seconds to 3 minutes manually (probably half of the cabinets can be done automatically which costs less time). We do have a .psd smart object template with a standard layout which could be used if the only image out there is of very low resolution and quality, but it is not the preferred way as realism has a higher priority. 

43 minutes ago, FRETW1ZARD said:

Looks like this project has received the official blessing! 

Skip to 3.33

Yep, I showed it a few posts back but the thread is becoming large by the amount of news and updates, sorry for that.

22 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Yep, I showed it a few posts back but the thread is becoming large by the amount of news and updates, sorry for that.

Oops, sorry 😅

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a nice tip I found, if you also prefer the old windows photo viewer instead of the photos app that came with windows 10 there is a registry hack out there to still use windows photo viewer, even better you can change the background color of it as well, which will come in handy when fast checking images with transparent backgrounds, I think i'll choose an in between color of grey with a light color to it (blue for instance) so I wont have to switch between black and white backgrounds, see: *edit with better link* https://www.howtogeek.com/124566/how-to-change-the-background-color-of-the-windows-photo-viewer/

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Update: It'll take a while to reconstruct the database but through some experimenting with @Kondorito's automation process the succes rate is more than 50% probably a lot higher (still sorting out the results) with amazingly smooth edges which are far better than I output recently. Mean while @Antny is uploading his incredible collection, it really is an amazing piece of work which deserves a database website on itself, once this is done we'll probably have to automate a few processess here as well and they can be overwritten on the existing database, this might take a few weeks all in all, if all goes well we might have to manually do only a few hundred images instead of 3400.

• Like 1

Update 2: The success rate is about 75%, this is for cut-out mono colored backgrounds, in photo's we'll have to do a few manually obviously. So this will be easier than thought. Although I do need a few people in the future that know their way in color correction and leveling (black/mid/white) very well. <- This won't be as much work as cutting out images as they will be delivered in that state. If there are no such people here i'll fix only the more extreme off-colored ones. There is a lot to be gained from color correcting images, most will look like they are new again like paintings with their nicotine layer removed :D

• Like 1

I'm sorting the database differently now, instead of finding higher quality for every cab (which makes it a bit impossible to execute) I set aside versions that just look bad compared to the allround quality we have now. If anyone likes to help finding higher quality versions for this letter A batch it would really help a lot. There are more letters batches if you like to hunt for these.

A.zip

Ps to clarify my last post you don't have to cut them out or anything we just need better photos of those cabs to work with, so no skills involved just google images and emuparadise to find the right game names. It would help a lot as I'm making 10 hours a day alone working and sorting on the database.

Small example of the many quality upgrades thanks to @Antny incredible collection. Buck Rogers how we looked at it for many years and how it will look in the future. Many images online are as old as 1996, imagine that, upgrade is highly needed.

If anyone reads this could you please help out searching for those cab photos mentioned above, you would really help out this (historic) project!

Before:

buckrogn.png.b3ac2db493a19f5c7a3f89c94efa093a.pngAfter provided high quality photo cut out & color correction:

buckrogzzzz.thumb.png.fe79bdc0b1ff7a90ae79fb4b07bfff05.png