LaunchBox Community Forums

Stella doesn't open

AgoustBolchz

I have Launchbox in C/Users/MyUserName/

I stopped trying with Launchbox. Guessed that until I manage to open a game with "open with"->Stella it will always be the same. When I get that to work it should eventually in Launchbox.

What do you guys think about using command lines to open them?

2 minutes ago, AgoustBolchz said:

What do you guys think about using command lines to open them?

Well that is what Launchbox does, it opens the emulator and passes it the rom via command line.

Can you just try something for me, click on a 2600 game, then press ctrl A to highlight them all, then right click one and choose edit, click next then in the dropdown pick emulator, then in the second pick stella. If you have more than one stella that may be a issue also.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Well that is what Launchbox does, it opens the emulator and passes it the rom via command line.

Can you just try something for me, click on a 2600 game, then press ctrl A to highlight them all, then right click one and choose edit, click next then in the dropdown pick emulator, then in the second pick stella. If you have more than one stella that may be a issue also.

Already did that.

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Have you considered trying the RetroArch Stella core at this point?

Yeah, I'm starting to. The problem is that not only it doesn't work as well as Stella but also it weights like 400MB just for that core, compared to 6, and I don't have much space lol. If by tomorrow nothing else comes up I'll try

OK i want to try one last thing, it will only take 2-3 minutes. Please go to tools/manage emulators and delete your stella entry's. Then on the left sidebar right click Atari 2600 and delete. Close and re-open Launchbox. Go to tools/manage emulators and add a new one, navigate to your stella.exe and add it. Then go to tools/Import and import your roms again, when you get to the media download screens "UNCHECK EVERYTHING" as you already have it all. The import will take a less than a minute, then try starting a game.

You said you didn't move the rom path, but your screenshots show both your roms and the emulator are (supposedly) within your Launchbox folder structure. Is this where they're located?

Anything that doesn't start with a [drive letter]:\ or ..\..\ or some such means it's located within Launchbox's folder structure. Based on your screenshots, the emulator is located at [path to Launchbox folder]\Emulators\Stella\Stella.exe and the roms are in [path to Launchbox folder]\Emulators\Stella\Roms. Can you confirm that these are where they're located?

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

OK i want to try one last thing, it will only take 2-3 minutes. Please go to tools/manage emulators and delete your stella entry's. Then on the left sidebar right click Atari 2600 and delete. Close and re-open Launchbox. Go to tools/manage emulators and add a new one, navigate to your stella.exe and add it. Then go to tools/Import and import your roms again, when you get to the media download screens "UNCHECK EVERYTHING" as you already have it all. The import will take a less than a minute, then try starting a game.

Also tried ?

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

You said you didn't move the rom path, but your screenshots show both your roms and the emulator are (supposedly) within your Launchbox folder structure. Is this where they're located?

Anything that doesn't start with a [drive letter]:\ or ..\..\ or some such means it's located within Launchbox's folder structure. Based on your screenshots, the emulator is located at [path to Launchbox folder]\Emulators\Stella\Stella.exe and the roms are in [path to Launchbox folder]\Emulators\Stella\Roms. Can you confirm that these are where they're located?

Those screenshots are old lol I was trying with the roms inside Stella's folder because maybe it changed. A long time ago it changed with MAME only opening the roms inside its folder. Now I already have the roms again in Launchbox/Games/Atari 2600 and set so in Launchbox. Anyway, I strongly believe that the problem is not within Launchbox since all of you guys can, within Windows folders, right click a ROM, "Open with" and it works. I can't, so the problem is within Stella, that can't execute a ROM outside of its GUI.

2 minutes ago, AgoustBolchz said:

Also tried ?

Those screenshots are old lol I was trying with the roms inside Stella's folder because maybe it changed. A long time ago it changed with MAME only opening the roms inside its folder. Now I already have the roms again in Launchbox/Games/Atari 2600 and set so in Launchbox. Anyway, I strongly believe that the problem is not within Launchbox since all of you guys can, within Windows folders, right click a ROM, "Open with" and it works. I can't, so the problem is within Stella, that can't execute a ROM outside of its GUI.

this is why im asking you to re-import, at this stage all your paths may be messed up. Can you just try what i posted, if it doesnt work then no harm done.

Then there is something very wrong going on with your PC, likely Windows-related. Obviously it's not an issue with Stella itself if everyone else can do it. Usually this sort of thing would imply either a lack of elevation or mismatched elevation. You're sure you don't have Stella set to "Run as admin"?

Go to your %appdata% folder and delete your Stella folder from there, this is where Stella stores all of its settings. At this point there has to be something messed up in your settings causing this issue.

After you do this try dragging a rom directly on to the Stella exe and see if it loads a game that way.

35 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

this is why im asking you to re-import, at this stage all your paths may be messed up. Can you just try what i posted, if it doesnt work then no harm done.

I believe I didn't express myself correctly. I meant that I had already done that re-importing process and it didn't work. 

4 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Go to your %appdata% folder and delete your Stella folder from there, this is where Stella stores all of its settings. At this point there has to be something messed up in your settings causing this issue.

After you do this try dragging a rom directly on to the Stella exe and see if it loads a game that way.

Also done.

That's it guys. I'm tired of trying. Thank you SO much for all your help and patience, you are the best! I'll give Retroarch core a try and come back with the results.

Have a wonderful day!

Hi. I did the scannow and nothing was found. Great news.

Tried RetroArch and THE SAME IS HAPPENING. I'm tired of this. If the games were bad dumps then they wouldn't even open anyway. Why do they open from the inside of Retroarch or Stella but not when asked for from the ouside? Launchbox cannot be used with this problem.