LaunchBox Community Forums

8.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

19 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

One question we still have with the new MAME full-set importer is whether or not it will work with Retroarch. MAME does not use files when launching games, which is why we had to create a whole separate import process for full sets, because we constantly had issues with missing games and such because there are some games that do not have any associated ROM files. Supposedly, though, from what I'm hearing, Retroarch does use the files, which doesn't quite make sense to me since sometimes the files don't even exist. If you use Retroarch for MAME, and can test, let me know how it goes. I don't use Retroarch for MAME personally, so I'd have to set it up to test.

It doesn't work with Retroarch, I get "The ROM file you've specified does not exist". Is there a way to add an option for Retroarch when importing, and have LB use the file path and names when using Retroarch? 

Edited by Omen

4 minutes ago, Omen said:

It doesn't work with Retroarch, I get "The ROM file you've specified does not exist". Is there a way to add an option for Retroarch when importing, and have LB use the file path and names when using Retroarch? 

can you try adding a second retroarch entry but pointing to the same .exe and check the box on that one and see if it works?

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

can you try adding a second retroarch entry but pointing to the same .exe and check the box on that one and see if it works?

Which box should I check? I tried "Use file name only without extension or folder path" and that didn't work.

Just now, Omen said:

Which box should I check? I tried "Use file name only without extension or folder path" and that didn't work.

Yeah, but i have just checked it myself and nothing happens, LB doesnt complain that the rom doesnt exist, but nothing happens, just a mouse pointer swirl then nothing.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, but i have just checked it myself and nothing happens, LB doesnt complain that the rom doesnt exist, but nothing happens, just a mouse pointer swirl then nothing.

yeah with that option checked I don't get an error, just a pointer swirl and back to LB. With that option unchecked I get the missing rom file error.

1 minute ago, Omen said:

yeah with that option checked I don't get an error, just a pointer swirl and back to LB. With that option unchecked I get the missing rom file error.

Yeah i can confirm that's exactly what i see, it complains about missing roms if unchecked (which is correct as it doesnt have a full path just the short name) and when checked the mouse pointer spins but nothing loads. Have you tried scanning your roms into Retroarch so it knows the path then unchecking the box?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah i can confirm that's exactly what i see, it complains about missing roms if unchecked (which is correct as it doesnt have a full path just the short name) and when checked the mouse pointer spins but nothing loads. Have you tried scanning your roms into Retroarch so it knows the path then unchecking the box?

No I haven't tried that, that's a good idea. I'll try it now and report back, might take a little while to scan lol.

Edited by Omen
  • Haha 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

OK was just a thought as like MAME it would then no the path and just accept the shortname passed to it.

It must be some issue with how Retroarch works. I hope there will be some sort of solution for this, I prefer Retroarch for all of my emulators.

image.thumb.png.b719082f2a07b1c80ddb3d2fc9268be0.png.d69b8ded0acaddc7ed3d3130b85971f8.pngI have narrowed this down to changing the Game Font and having the Font size set to 12 or lower.

I tested a wide variety of fonts, and most fonts displayed this issue, but i also found fonts that effectively locked LaunchBox up where it was unusable and i had to copy back my saved settings.xml file, as LaunchBox on reload would be very sluggish, and near impossible to use.

Not all fonts displayed this bug, seems the default system fonts all behaved perfectly fine, but using custom fonts can seem to cause a few issues,

43 minutes ago, flores9 said:

The reason of the not Game found happens because you cant put the directory of mame ROMs when you use the wizard.

I solved the problem editing the Mame.XML adding the path Of the roms.

The Mame.xml in the LB Data/Platforms folder? Wouldn't you have to add the path for every rom? I guess I could do that with Notepad++. So that fixes launching Mame roms with Retroarch?

EDIT: I tried editing the LB Mame.xml and it didn't work.

Edited by Omen

Just now, TheNewClassics said:

I'm still not understanding this exactly; how do I change the rom path for my MAME roms? I don't see anything in that file mentioned above. Is there any reason the importer doesn't ask for the location?

It doesn't ask for the location because proper MAME does not reference the files themselves when launching the game. But regardless, I recommend just waiting for the next beta which I'm hoping will be out later today.