LaunchBox Community Forums

Calling All Media and Theme Creators!

Jason Carr

First off, I want to thank all of the amazing media and theme creators we have in this community for the incredible work they put in day in and day out. I'm constantly amazed how much awesome stuff gets uploaded here (and elsewhere) and I'm forever grateful for all of it.

I wanted to let everyone know that LaunchBox 8.6 will be released soon with a lot of new features, including themes for LaunchBox (same theming engine as Big Box!) and a huge MAME overhaul, with updated metadata and a brand new full-set importer for MAME 0.200 (which is easy to update for new MAME versions). Most importantly though, there are a bunch of brand new automatically-populated playlists that will be immensely useful for peoples' libraries:

• 2-Player Games
  • 4-Player Games
  • Ball & Paddle Games
  • Beat Em Ups
  • Board & Card Games
  • Fighting Games
  • Flying Games
  • Light Gun Games
  • Maze Games
  • MultiGames
  • Pinball Arcade
  • Platform Games
  • Puzzle Games
  • Racing Games
  • Rhythm Games
  • Run & Gun Games
  • Shoot Em Ups
  • Shooter Games
  • Sports Games

Of course all these new playlists will need images and videos! Thanks to @RetroHumanoid we already have some great videos available for most of them, but as we have so many video options for the rest of the platforms and playlists out there, I'd love to see some more options for these as well. And of course we'll need images:

• Clear Logo
  • Banner
  • Fanart

I'll be able to include the best clear logo and banner images with LaunchBox as we've done in the past with all the other playlists, and of course we can make all the videos available for download using the "Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos" option in LaunchBox. Thank you all once again for all the amazing work, and I can't wait to see what's to come. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Also, with your permission @dragon57, @Padou, and @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT, I'd like to get you guys' videos uploaded to the server so that they can be downloaded directly via the theme videos downloader in LaunchBox. Just want to check with you all to make sure you're okay with that. You can PM me if needed. :)

Hey Jason, I'm perfectly fine with any and all of my videos being made available for easier downloading by everyone here in the community!

• Like 6

Just now, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Hey Jason, I'm perfectly fine with any and all of my videos being made available for easier downloading by everyone here in the community!

Great to hear, thank you my friend. I have approval from @dragon57 as well, so I'll get them uploading here very soon. We're going to stick to platform, playlist, and platform category videos for now. :)

• Like 1

is this a call for extra art ? or this is a call for a new standard ? a new set that will be available when you first download Launchbox? 
should the art match the default art? 

I'd love to help but I'd like to know what the goal is, instead of just doing something . 

does that make sense ? 

7 hours ago, harryoke said:

955299086_BoardCardGames.thumb.png.b087d2c456b9a11912217e099a892bba.pngi can make a full set in this style if you so desire.

That looks amazing @harryoke! For the clear logos that end up being included with LaunchBox, we'll need a set that mostly matches the existing ones with the basic, typical style. However, we certainly can't go wrong with lots of good options! :)

4 hours ago, Klopjero said:

is this a call for extra art ? or this is a call for a new standard ? a new set that will be available when you first download Launchbox? 
should the art match the default art? 

I'd love to help but I'd like to know what the goal is, instead of just doing something . 

does that make sense ? 

@Klopjero Per the artwork, the main priority is to add images for the above mentioned playlists that match the existing set, though like I said above, new sets are great as well.

3 hours ago, rexryan said:

I agree with @Klopjero definitely need a better process on art/theme building. Half of the systems still need good cinematic videos there is no list to follow on what artwork needs to be done to complete a flowing set for the end user.

We can look into creating a list of what's still needed, though this was an attempt at that for all the new playlists. Generally, video coverage is pretty amazing at current sans for the new playlists, as we have videos available from like 5 different creators using the built-in theme video downloader in LaunchBox. I also just added a bunch of @RetroHumanoid's videos up there, so now there's more than ever. But coverage is lacking for the above list currently.

37 minutes ago, Padou said:

@Jason Carrwith great pleasure jason :) in full displacement I would be less active in the coming months while I find a connection but it will give me time to work on the new content ;) see soon!

Thank you @Padou! And no worries; we'll look forward to it. :)

21 minutes ago, harryoke said:

814219608_04PSDRetro.thumb.png.a7a93b05565770b9f7bfea092a051d9e.pngive been waiting to impliment my hellraiser idea :D

Haha, that's awesome @harryoke. :)

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

First off, I want to thank all of the amazing media and theme creators we have in this community for the incredible work they put in day in and day out. I'm constantly amazed how much awesome stuff gets uploaded here (and elsewhere) and I'm forever grateful for all of it.

I wanted to let everyone know that LaunchBox 8.6 will be released soon with a lot of new features, including themes for LaunchBox (same theming engine as Big Box!) and a huge MAME overhaul, with updated metadata and a brand new full-set importer for MAME 0.200 (which is easy to update for new MAME versions). Most importantly though, there are a bunch of brand new automatically-populated playlists that will be immensely useful for peoples' libraries:

• 2-Player Games
  • 4-Player Games
  • Ball & Paddle Games
  • Board & Card Games
  • Fighting Games
  • Flying Games
  • Light Gun Games
  • Maze Games
  • MultiGames
  • Pinball Arcade
  • Platform Games
  • Puzzle Games
  • Racing Games
  • Run & Gun Games
  • Shoot Em Ups
  • Shooter Games
  • Sports Games

Of course all these new playlists will need images and videos! Thanks to @RetroHumanoid we already have some great videos available for most of them, but as we have so many video options for the rest of the platforms and playlists out there, I'd love to see some more options for these as well. And of course we'll need images:

• Clear Logo
  • Banner
  • Fanart

I'll be able to include the best clear logo and banner images with LaunchBox as we've done in the past with all the other playlists, and of course we can make all the videos available for download using the "Download Platform/Playlist Theme Videos" option in LaunchBox. Thank you all once again for all the amazing work, and I can't wait to see what's to come. :)

I had an idea a while ago for a Shmups playlist, but set it aside after I started working on it because it quickly outgrew my skill level in AE for what I wanted to do, ha! That said, I can re-work that original idea for the Shooter Games playlist.

• Like 1

Just now, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

I had an idea a while ago for a Shmups playlist, but set it aside after I started working on it because it quickly outgrew my skill level in AE for what I wanted to do, ha! That said, I can re-work that original idea for the Shooter Games playlist.

Woot! :)

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Per the artwork, the main priority is to add images for the above mentioned playlists that match the existing set, though like I said above, new sets are great as well

Right. But having a clear objective is nice. 

12 minutes ago, Klopjero said:

Right. But having a clear objective is nice. 

Okay, I would say the initial objectives (the biggest priorities) would be in this order:

1. Clear logos for all of the new playlists that match the style of the existing clear logos that come with LaunchBox (typical old-school style that originated from Hyperspin)
  2. New theme videos for "Ball & Paddle Games", "Maze Games", and "MultiGames", because those three do not have any videos at all
  3. Banner images for all of the new playlists that match the style of the existing banner images that come with LaunchBox
  4. New theme videos for the rest of the playlists listed above
  5. Fanart for all of the new playlists

Thanks again all. :)

Not sure if I posted it anywhere,but,here are the high res logos I made for my genre videos...I made them,so you can use them any way you want,if it's suitable for what you are looking for. https://mega.nz/#F!3ZJ1FSDL!6Te8T72IjgejdQLCZgcvdw

I will work on the 3 videos mentioned in #2 to match my current playlist video style...as well as new clear logos for them

Here are the marquees I made for the genre set as well...if you can use them https://mega.nz/#F!nMQxUKzb!eOq8eEi4oVUuWvLnwNsRQw

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RetroHumanoid said:

Not sure if I posted it anywhere,but,here are the high res logos I made for my genre videos...I made them,so you can use them any way you want,if it's suitable for what you are looking for. https://mega.nz/#F!3ZJ1FSDL!6Te8T72IjgejdQLCZgcvdw

I will work on the 3 videos mentioned in #2 to match my current playlist video style...as well as new clear logos for them

Here are the marquees I made for the genre set as well...if you can use them https://mega.nz/#F!nMQxUKzb!eOq8eEi4oVUuWvLnwNsRQw

those clear logo's look stunning, good job! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RetroHumanoid said:

Those clear logos are indeed awesome @RetroHumanoid; thanks for that. We're still looking for clear logos for Ball & Paddle Games, Maze Games, MultiGames, and Pinball Arcade. :)