LaunchBox Community Forums

Calling All Media and Theme Creators!

Jason Carr

I have all the clear logos integrated into LaunchBox as defaults for the next beta. Anyone who wants to can feel free to create additional ones as they're not set in stone, but I think RetroHumanoid has done an absolutely amazing job on them.

The next goal of course is to get some theme videos created for "Ball & Paddle Games", "Maze Games", and "MultiGames", and then some additional video options for the existing ones as well if anyone is interested. Thank you all once again. :)

Just now, RetroHumanoid said:

@Jason Carr I will be working on the new genre videos over the next couple days to match the previously released set...ill post here when im finished

Killer. Thank you Retro. Thankfully there's no reason to tie the videos in with the 8.6 release, since we can upload them to show up in the video downloader at any time. I'm glad we have the clear logos done though, because they do tie in with the release and I'm hoping to release the official 8.6 version here in the next few days.

5 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

May I suggest ...

- Trackball Games
- Vector Games

Those indeed would be handy, but they probably won't make it in as automatically-created playlists. We need a way to use the MAME data to filter them, and I don't immediately know how that would be done for those two categories.

37 minutes ago, RetroHumanoid said:

@Jason Carr a link to the fanart/backgrounds for all the genres I have done...most are taken from the Unified theme art I did,but,I removed the blur effect

https://mega.nz/#F!rAhjXSYR!6YNIluzredaol9TJPtlkuA

Very cool @RetroHumanoid. Honestly we need a way of automatically downloading platform and playlist images. Currently the only thing we have is what's included with the LaunchBox download, and of course I have to keep that small so we only include banners and clear logos. So fanart will have to remain as a download on the forums for now. 

Alright, I have all of the platform/category/playlist videos from @RetroHumanoid, @Padou, @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT, and @dragon57 all uploaded to the server for download in LaunchBox. That was a lot of videos! ;)

Here's the video coverage that we have currently:

• 2-Player Games - RetroHumanoid
  • 4-Player Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Ball & Paddle Games - None
  • Beat Em Ups - RetroHumanoid
  • Board & Card Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Fighting Games - RetroHumanoid, PaDeMoniuM, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Flying Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Light Gun Games - RetroHumanoid, Viking
  • Maze Games - None
  • MultiGames - None
  • Pinball Arcade - RetroHumanoid
  • Platform Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Puzzle Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Racing Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Rhythm Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Run & Gun Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Shoot Em Ups - RetroHumanoid, PaDeMoniuM
  • Shooter Games - RetroHumanoid
  • Sports Games - RetroHumanoid

@Jason Carr awesome new features Jason, looking forward to Launchbox 8.6!

The idea of custom Launchbox themes is really interesting and i'd be more than happy to import all of my Bigbox themes and create new ones for launchbox ?

P.S. How different is launchbox theming compared to Bigbox XAML-wise? Is it as easy as straightforward importing existing Bigbox themes to launchbox format or does it requires coding from the grounds up?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SNAK3ATER said:

@Jason Carr awesome new features Jason, looking forward to Launchbox 8.6!

The idea of custom Launchbox themes is really interesting and i'd be more than happy to import all of my Bigbox themes and create new ones for launchbox ?

P.S. How different is launchbox theming compared to Bigbox XAML-wise? Is it as easy as straightforward importing existing Bigbox themes to launchbox format or does it requires coding from the grounds up?

Unfortunately it's very different, since they're two completely different interfaces, so moving a theme from Big Box to LaunchBox isn't likely to be a good idea. The point of LaunchBox is to have a desktop-style interface, whereas the point of Big Box is to have a home theater or arcade cabinet-style interface. That's not to say that you couldn't do it, but it wouldn't be as easy as just copying the theme over and tweaking some things.

That said, I'd love for you to play with it @SNAK3ATER and see what you can come up with. The recommended approach is to copy the Default theme and tweak it to be whatever you want it to be. :)