LaunchBox Community Forums

8.7-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

Isn't that completely useless? Who imports the full set.

Edit: There's far more people who do partial imports than full.

I imported the full set using the full set wizard, i have a non-merged set and i ended up with 2760 games. If you dont have a full romset then you just import your games the same way you always did, the new importer is strictly for full set importing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

Except we would lose out on auto-generated playlists, correct?

No. If you update just the metadata for your existing MAME collection, your genres and such will be updated. This will allow them to be pulled into the new auto-populated playlists.

You also don't need to perform an import to create the playlists either. There's now an option in the menu.

Edited by GreenGriffon
  • Like 1

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

- Improvement: Added a new SelectionChanged SystemEventType for plugins

- Fixed: Playlists were showing in the Platforms lists; this was never intended but somehow got changed by mistake a while ago. Playlist should now only show up in the Platform Categories list when marked as such.

- Fixed: The PluginHelper.StateManager.GetAllSelectedGames() plugin method was not working properly in LaunchBox

- Fixed: When LaunchBox was closed while minimized, the window would be very small on the next startup

Assuming this beta goes well, we'll probably put out a new release to fix these few issues in a day or two.

• Like 5

Brilliant Jason! Really impressed with the constant updates and improvements here. For what it's worth, here is my "wishlist":

1. Nested folders

2. Being able to set image parameters (size, spacing, aspect ratio etc) per system/platform, instead of one setting across the board.

3. An increased focus on the systems/platforms, rather than just the games. In BigBox we get the nice screen with the platform info & platform video. We do not get this in Launchbox, and have to go to edit platform where we get the info but no video. It would be great in Launchbox if there was an easy and slick way to view the platform info & video. Also include more options for platform images - instead of the current banner, clear logo, device and fanart, have extra categories like device box, controller, device manual etc. Also, allow more than 1 platform video.

4. Ability to easily view the videos fullscreen in Launchbox, like you can do with the images.

5. An improvement to the image viewer in Launchbox. When viewing images in fullscreen, it would be nice to have small icons to the left of the screen so the user knows which images are there to cycle through.

6. Incorporation of the MAME info files to add more depth to the MAME metadata.

7. A "true" 3D box option, which can be rotated & flipped just like a real box.

8. The ability to use a second screeen in Launchbox to display the art, just like you can in BigBox. Also, the ability to use 3 screens.

Just some food for thought!

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 3 is out now as well with a fix for the playlists showing up in the platforms view of Big Box; I missed that with the last beta. :)

My playlists marked under a platform category are still showing up in the platform list.  (In BigBox)

UPDATE:  Actually they're only appearing in a text view.

Edited by alnyden

Fixed: Playlists were showing in the Platforms lists; this was never intended but somehow got changed by mistake a while ago. Playlist should now only show up in the Platform Categories list when marked as such.

@Jason Carr

I must say, I don't like this change at all. I have used playlists in the platforms view from the beginning. I like it, when everything is on one place. I would appreciate if you could add an option to allow that. Please....

Alright, so I recognize that the playlists with platforms stuff is confusing, and there's been confusion as to where they should or should not show up. It shouldn't be very difficult to provide another option to specify whether each playlist shows up in platform categories and/or the platforms list, so that's what I'll do. Update coming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been having a tiny issue with the sort title option. I entered the word "Consoles" on my Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis platforms' sort title field, and LaunchBox is placing Sega Genesis on top of Nintendo Entertainment System. So it seems to be ordering them in reverse order for some reason.

2018-09-08 (1).png

2018-09-08.png

2018-09-08 (2).png

Edited by Mah0uPh0x

2 minutes ago, Mah0uPh0x said:

I've been having a tiny issue with the sort title option. I entered the word "Consoles" on my Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis platforms' sort title field, and LaunchBox is placing Sega Genesis on top of Nintendo Entertainment System. So it seems to be ordering them in reverse order for some reason.

2018-09-08 (1).png

2018-09-08.png

2018-09-08 (2).png

If you use the Sort Title field, make sure that every entry is unique. If you use the same entries, LaunchBox will just randomly sort items that are the same. In other words, if you want all consoles under consoles, then the Sort Title field should be "Consoles Nintendo Entertainment System", "Consoles Sega Genesis", etc.

Just now, Jason Carr said:

If you use the Sort Title field, make sure that every entry is unique. If you use the same entries, LaunchBox will just randomly sort items that are the same. In other words, if you want all consoles under consoles, then the Sort Title field should be "Consoles Nintendo Entertainment System", "Consoles, Sega Genesis", etc.

Alrighty, I can sort that out. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

Beta 4 is out now with separate options for showing playlists in the list of platforms and/or underneath a platform category:

image.thumb.png.565729436da22e27cce20ffb77a77ef8.pngThis way, we can please both folks who want it the old way with them listed under platforms as well as folks who only want them listed under the Arcade platform category. I think the latter makes the most sense, because the genre playlists are Arcade-specific. Of course, you can set up your playlists however you like. If you delete and recreate your playlists though, they will now be configured to only show up under the Arcade platform category and not in the general platforms list.

I still plan to release 8.7 official in the next few days, assuming the issues are confirmed to be solved and nothing new comes up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jason!

Does anyone know if Custom Fields are callable in Views? If so, any chance we can see them in Playlists, Platforms, and Platform Categories?

For Example, in Chicuelo I had to use an existing field inside the Platform to get a custom header which could have been solved with Custom Field.

Edited by Kevin_Flynn